Rapid analysis of legume root nodule development using confocal microscopy
Article first published online: 3 AUG 2004
Volume 163, Issue 3, pages 661–668, September 2004
How to Cite
Haynes, J. G., Czymmek, K. J., Carlson, C. A., Veereshlingam, H., Dickstein, R. and Sherrier, D. J. (2004), Rapid analysis of legume root nodule development using confocal microscopy. New Phytologist, 163: 661–668. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01138.x
- Issue published online: 3 AUG 2004
- Article first published online: 3 AUG 2004
- Received: 1 March 2004 Accepted: 20 April 2004
- 1998. Genes and signal molecules involved in the rhizobia–Leguminoseae symbiosis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 1: 353–359. , .
- 1990. Rhizobium meliloti genes encoding catabolism of trigonelline are induced under symbiotic conditions. Plant Cell 2: 1157–1170. , , , , .
- 2004. Biochemical characterization of symbiosome membrane proteins from Medicago truncatula root nodules. Electrophoresis 25: 519–531. , , .
- 1998. Legume nodule organogensis. Trends in Plant Science 3: 105–110. , , .
- 1997. Assessment of the effects of gramicidin, formaldehyde, and surfactants on Escherichia coli by flow cytometry using nucleic acid and membrane potential dyes. Cytometry 29: 58–64. , .
- 1998. Enumeration, viability and heterogeneity in Staphylococcus aureus cultures by flow cytometry. Journal of Microbiological Methods 32: 45–53. , .
- 1997. A double-label technique that monitors sulfur mustard damage to nuclei and mitochondria of normal human epidermal keratinocytes in vitro. Toxicologic Pathology 25: 481–486. , .
- 1987. Microscopic studies of cell divisions induced in alfalfa roots by Rhizobium meliloti. Planta 171: 289–301. , , .
- 2003. Metal physiology and accumulation in a Medicago truncatula mutant exhibiting an elevated requirement for zinc. New Phytologist 158: 207–218. , , .
- 1957. The infection of clover root hairs by nodule bacteria studied by a simple glass slide technique. Journal of General Microbiology 16: 374–381. .
- 1995. Nucleic acid dyes for detection of apoptosis in live cells. Cytometry 21: 265–274. .
- 1996. Use of green fluorescent protein to visualize the early events of symbiosis between Rhizobium meliloti and alfalfa (Medicago sativa). Journal of Bacteriology 178: 7159–7166. , , .
- 1997. Use of nucleic acid dyes, SYTO-13, TOTO-1, and YOYO-1 in the study of Escherichia coli and marine prokaryotic populations by flow cytometry. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 63: 4608–4611. , , .
- 1998. Suppression of Fas/APO-1-mediated apoptosis by mitogen-activated kinase signaling. Journal of Immunology 160: 2626–2636. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Signaling in symbiosis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 343–350. , .
- 2003. LysM domain receptor kinases, regulating rhizobial Nod factor-induced infection. Science 302: 630–633. , , , , , .
- 1998. A fluorescent gram stain for flow cytometry and epifluorescence microscopy. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 64: 2681–2685. , , , .
- 1982. Physical and genetic characterization of symbiotic and auxotrophic mutants of Rhizobium meliloti induced by Tn5 mutagenesis. Journal of Bacteriology 149: 114–122. , , , , .
- 1995. Symbiotic nitrogen fixation. Plant Cell 7: 869–885. , , .
- 1998. Quantification of neurotoxicity and identification of cellular subsets in a three-dimensional brain model. Cytometry 32: 66–69. , , .
- 1998. Regulation of symbiotic root nodule development. Annual Review of Genetics 32: 33–57. , .
- 2000. Regulators and regulation of legume root nodule development. Plant Physiology 124: 531–540. .
- 1998. Solution structure of DAPI selectively bound in the minor groove of a DNA T.T mismatch-containing site: NMR and molecular dynamics studies. Nucleic Acids Research 26: 4706–4713. , .
- 1989. The Rhizobium–legume symbiosis. Two methods to discriminate between nodules and other root-derived structures. Protoplasma 149: 82–88. , , , , .
- 2004. A Rhizobium leguminosarum lipopolysaccharide lipid-A mutant induces nitrogen-fixing nodules with delayed and defective bacteroid formation. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 17: 283–291. , , , , .
- 1995. Beta-glucuronidase (GUS) transposons for ecological and genetic studies of rhizobia and other gram-negative bacteria. Microbiology – UK 141: 1691–1705. , , , , , .
- 1989. Genetic derepression of a developmentally regulated lipopolysaccharide antigen from Rhizobium leguminosarum 3841. Journal of Bacteriology. 171: 4549–4555. , , , .