The response of the poplar transcriptome to wounding and subsequent infection by a viral pathogen
Version of Record online: 11 AUG 2004
Volume 164, Issue 1, pages 123–136, October 2004
How to Cite
Smith, C. M., Rodriguez-Buey, M., Karlsson, J. and Campbell, M. M. (2004), The response of the poplar transcriptome to wounding and subsequent infection by a viral pathogen. New Phytologist, 164: 123–136. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01151.x
- Issue online: 11 AUG 2004
- Version of Record online: 11 AUG 2004
- Received: 26 March 2004 Accepted: 1 June 2004
- 1996. A novel extensin gene encoding a hydroxyproline-rich glycoprotein requires sucrose for its wound-inducible expression in transgenic plants. Plant Cell 8: 1477–1490. , , , , , .
- 2004. A transcriptional timetable of autumn senescence. Genome Biology 5: R24. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Virus-induced host gene shutoff in animals and plants. Virology 243: 261–267. , .
- 1996. Induction of HSP70 and polyubiquitin expression associated with plant virus replication. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 15289–15293. , , , .
- 1999. A heat shock transcription factor in pea is differentially controlled by heat and virus replication. Plant Journal 20: 153–161. , , , .
- 1976. Ultrastructural changes in leaf cells of poplar naturally infected with poplar mosaic virus. Annals of Applied Biology 83: 395–398. , .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. Journal of Royal Statistical Society B 57: 289–300. , .
- Lundeberg et al . 2003. Gene expression in autumn leaves. Plant Physiology 131: 430–442. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1971a. Poplar mosaic virus. CMI/AAB Description of Plant Viruses 75: 1–3. , .
- 1971b. Poplar mosaic virus in Great Britain. New Phytologist 70: 61–66. , .
- 1971c. Some effects of poplar mosaic virus on the growth of poplar trees. New Phytologist 70: 67–75. , .
- 1995. Molecular genetics of growth and development in Populus. IV. Mapping QTLs with large effects on growth, form, and phenology traits in a forest tree. Genetics 139: 963–973. , .
- 1994. Molecular genetics of growth and development in Populus. 3. A genetic-linkage map of a hybrid poplar composed of RFLP, STS and RAPD markers. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 89: 167–178. , , , , , .
- 2004. Poplar genome sequence: functional genomics in an ecologically dominant plant species. Trends in Plant Science 9: 49–56. , , .
- 1976. Cytological evidence supporting the inclusion of poplar mosaic virus in the carlavirus group of plant viruses. Intervirology 7: 303–308. , , .
- 2001. Local expression of enzymatically active class I beta-1,3-glucanase enhances symptoms of TMV infection in tobacco. Plant Journal 28: 361–369. , , , , , .
- 2001. Dense genetic linkage maps of three Populus species (Populus deltoides, P. nigra and P. trichocarpa) based on AFLP and microsatellite markers. Genetics 158: 787–809. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Systemic movement of a tobamovirus requires host cell pectin methylesterase. Plant Journal 35: 386–392. , .
- 2000. Interaction between the tobacco mosaic virus movement protein and host cell pectin methylesterases is required for viral cell-to-cell movement. EMBO Journal 19: 913–920. , , , , .
- 2002. Transcriptional profiling reveals novel interactions between wounding, pathogen, abiotic stress, and hormonal responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 129: 661–677. , , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular cloning of a metallothionein-like gene from Nicotiana glutinosa L. and its induction by wounding and tobacco mosaic virus infection. Plant Physiology 112: 353–359. , , , , , .
- 1998. Non-toxic concentrations of cadmium inhibit systemic movement of turnip vein clearing virus by a salicylic acid-dependent mechanism. Plant Journal 16: 13–20. , , , .
- 1993. Virus diseases of trees and shrubs , 2nd edn. London, UK: Chapman & Hall. .
- 1981. The distribution of poplar mosaic virus in hybrid poplars and virus detection by ELISA. Annals of Applied Biology 99: 53–61. , .
- 1997. Assembly and enlargement of the primary cell wall in plants. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 13: 171–201. .
- 1992. Jasmonic acid/methyl jasmonate accumulate in wounded soybean hypocotyls and modulate wound gene expression. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 4938–4941. , , .
- 1992. How are photosynthetic gene repressed in freshly-isolated mesophyll protoplasts of Nicotiana sylvestris? Plant Physiological Biochemistry 30: 597–601. , , , , , .
- 1999. A novel function for a ubiquitous plant enzyme pectin methylesterase: the host-cell receptor for the tobacco mosaic virus movement protein. FEBS Letters 461: 223–228. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. cDNA-AFLP reveals a striking overlap in race-specific resistance and wound response gene expression profiles. Plant Cell 12: 963–977. , , , , .
- 1999. Response to the sexual pheromone and wounding in the green alga Volvox: induction of an extracellular glycoprotein consisting almost exclusively of hydroxyproline. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 35023–35028. , , , .
- 2000. Pea embryonic tissues show common responses to the replication of a wide range of viruses. Virology 267: 318–325. , , , .
- 2000. Quantitative trait loci and candidate gene mapping of bud set and bud flush in Populus. Genetics 154: 837–845. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Activation of heat-shock response by an adenovirus is essential for virus replication. Nature 407: 207–211. , , , , , .
- 2003. Down-regulation of the AtCCR1 gene in Arabidopsis thaliana: effects on phenotype, lignins and cell wall degradability. Planta 217: 218–228. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A kunitz trypsin inhibitor gene family from trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides Mischx): cloning, functional expression, and induction by wounding and herbivory. Plant Molecular Biology 46: 347–359. , , , , .
- 1992. Partial nucleotide sequence of poplar mosaic virus RNA confirms its classification as a carlavirus. Journal of General Virology 73: 1887–1890. , , , , , .
- 2001. A transcriptional roadmap to wood formation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 14732–14737. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. R: a language for data analysis and graphics. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 5: 299–314. , .
- 2001. Cloning and characterization of irregular xylem4 (irx4): a severely lignin-deficient mutant of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 26: 205–216. , , .
- 1972. Principles and techniques in plant virology. New York, NY, USA: Van Nostrand Reinhold. , .
- 2001. Tomato Ve disease resistance genes encode cell surface-like receptors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 6511–6515. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Ermittlung und Bewertung quantitativer Virusresistenz von Pappeln nach Inokulation mit Pappelnmosaik-Virus (poplar mosaic virus, PopMV). European Journal of for Pathology 22: 193–203. , .
- 2002. Transcriptome changes for Arabidopsis in response to salt, osmotic, and cold stress. Plant Physiology 130: 2129–2141. , , , , , .
- 2002. Developmental programmed cell death in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 568–573. , .
- 1997. The oxidative burst in plant disease resistance. Annual Review of Plant Physiological Plant Molecular Biology 48: 251–275. , .
- 1999. Genetic variation of the riparian pioneer tree species Populus nigra. II. Variation in susceptibility to the foliar rust Melampsora larici-populina. Heredity 82: 318–327. , , .
- 2001. Genetic analysis of wound signaling in tomato. Evidence for a dual role of jasmonic acid in defense and female fertility. Plant Physiology 127: 1414–1417. , , .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue. Physiological Plant 15: 473–497. , .
- 1996. The specificity of fungal pathogens of Populus. In: StettlerRF, BradshawHD, HeilmanPE, HinckleyTM, eds. Biology of Populus and its implications for management and conservation. Ottawa, ON, Canada: NRC Research Press, 223–246. .
- 1989. Viruses in forest trees. Annual Review of Phytopathology 27: 165–186. , .
- 1998. Sequential and structural homology between intracellular pathogenesis-related proteins and a group of latex proteins. Plant Molecular Biology 38: 1243–1246. , , .
- 2003. Field performance of Populus expressing somaclonal variation in resistance to Septoria musiva. Plant Science 164: 1–8. , .
- 1995. Characterisation of a family of gene encoding a fruit-specific wound-stimulated protein of Bell pepper (Capsicum annuum): identification of a new family of transposable elements. Plant Molecular Biology 28: 1011–1025. , , , , , .
- 1999. Tobacco mosaic virus inoculation inhibits wound-induced jasmonic acid-mediated responses within but not between plants. Planta 209: 87–95. , , , .
- 1995. Solubilization and partial characterisation of extensin fragments from cell walls of cotton suspension cultures. Plant Physiology 108: 1691–1701. , , , .
- 1993. Methyl jasmonate-regulated translation of nuclear-encoded chloroplast proteins in barley (Hordeum vulgare L. cv. Salome). Journal of Biological Chemistry 268: 10606–10611. , , .
- 2000. Differential gene expression in response to mechanical wounding and insect feeding in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 12: 707–720. , , , .
- 2000. Cell-to-cell movement of tobacco mosaic virus: enigmas and explanations. Molecular Plant Pathology 1: 33–39. , , , , .
- 1995. Disease and pest control in the bioenergy crops poplar and willow. Biomass and Bioenergy 9: 69–79. , .
- 2000. Coordinated plant defense responses in Arabidopsis revealed by microarray analysis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 11655–11660. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Structure and function of plant cell wall proteins. Plant Cell 5: 9–23. .
- 2004a. Complete genome sequence of Poplar mosaic virus. Archives of Virology. (In press). , .
- 2004b. Populus genotypes differ in infection and systematic spread of Poplar mosaic virus (PopMV). Plant Pathology. (In press). , .
- 1998. Gene discovery in the wood-forming tissues of poplar: analysis of 5692 expressed sequence tags. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 13330–13335. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. MYB-related transcription factor NtMYB2 induced by wounding and elicitors is a regulator of the tobacco retrotransposon Tto1 and defense-related genes. Plant Cell 12: 2511–2528. , , .
- 2003. Transcriptional activation mediated by binding of a plant GATA-type zinc finger protein AGP1 to the AG-motif (AGATCCAA) of the wound-inducible Myb gene NtMyb2. Plant Journal 36: 550–564. , , .
- 1998. Cadmium resistance in transgenic tobacco plants expressing the Nicotiana glutinosa L. metallothionein-like gene. Molecular Cells 8: 678–684. , , .
- 1996. Principles of forest pathology. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley. , .
- 2000. A rapid induction by elicitors of the mRNA encoding CCD-1, a 14-kDa Ca2+-binding protein in wheat cultured cells. Plant Molecular Biology 42: 807–817. .
- 2003. Quantitative nature of Arabidopsis responses during compatible and incompatible interactions with the bacterial pathogen Pseudomonas syringae. Plant Cell 15: 317–330. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Jasmonic acid-dependent and -independent signaling pathways control wound-induced gene activation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 115: 817–826. , , , .
- 2002. The systemic movement of a tobamovirus is inhibited by a cadmium-ion-induced glycine-rich protein. Nature Cell Biology 4: 478–485. , .
- 1980. Poplar mosaic virus: purification, antiserum preparation, and detection in poplars with the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) and with infectivity tests on Nicotiana megalosiphon. Netherlands Journal of Plant Pathology 86: 99–110. , , .
- 1996. Molecular genetics of rust resistance in poplars (Melampsora larici-populina Kleb/Populus sp.) by bulked segregant analysis in a 2 × 2 factorial mating design. Genetics 143: 531–536. , , , .
- 2003. Diverse RNA viruses elicit the expression of common sets of genes in susceptible Arabidopsis thaliana plants. Plant Journal 33: 271–283. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Oxidative burst: an early plant response to pathogen infection. Biochemistry and Journal 322: 681–692. .
- 2002. Normalization for cDNA microarray data: a robust composite method addressing single and multiple slide systematic variation. Nucleic Acids Research 30: e15. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Protective effect of metallothionein-III on DNA damage in response to reactive oxygen species. Biochemica Biophysica Acta 1573: 33–38. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Wound-inducible genes in plants. In: ReynoldsPHS, ed. Inducible Gene expression. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 127–156. , .