Carbohydrate translocation determines the phenolic content of Populus foliage: a test of the sink–source model of plant defense
Version of Record online: 22 JUL 2004
Volume 164, Issue 1, pages 157–164, October 2004
How to Cite
Arnold, T., Appel, H., Patel, V., Stocum, E., Kavalier, A. and Schultz, J. (2004), Carbohydrate translocation determines the phenolic content of Populus foliage: a test of the sink–source model of plant defense. New Phytologist, 164: 157–164. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01157.x
- Issue online: 22 JUL 2004
- Version of Record online: 22 JUL 2004
- Received: 22 February 2004 Accepted: 14 May 2004
- 2001. Limitations of Folin assays of foliar phenolics in ecological studies. Journal of Chemistry Ecology 27: 761–778. , , , , .
- 2002. Induced sink strength as a prerequisite for induced tannin biosynthesis in developing leaves of Populus. Oecologia 130: 585–593. , .
- 1991. Assimilate movement dictates remote sites of wound-induced gene expression in poplar leaves. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 2393–2396. , , .
- 1997. Co-ordinated induction of mRNAs for extracellular invertase and a glucose transporter in Chenopodium rubrum by cytokinins. Plant Journal 11: 1997. , .
- 1989. Choosing appropriate methods and standards for assaying tannins. Journal of Chemistry Ecology 15: 1795–1810. , .
- 1990. Induction of defenses in trees. Annual Review of Entomology 36: 25–42. .
- 1994. Why does a branch suffer more after branch-wide than tree-wide defoliation? Oikos 71: 441–450. , .
- 1999. Responses of Pinus sylvestris branches to simulated herbivory are modified by tree sink/source dynamics and by external resources. Functional Ecology 13: 126–140. , , .
- 1994. Effects of simulated defoliation and debudding on needle and shoot growth in Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris): implications of plant source/sink relationships for plant-herbivore studies. Functional Ecology 8: 631–639. , , .
- 1997. Induced responses to herbivory. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. , .
- 1999. Partitioning of 14-C-labeled photosynthate to allelochemicals and primary metabolites in source and sink leaves of aspen: evidence for secondary metabolite turnover. Oecologia 119: 408–418. , , .
- 1997. Competition between gall aphids and natural plant sinks: plant architecture affects resistance to galling. Oecologia 109: 575–582. , .
- 1998. Cloning of cDNA for a cell wall-bound acid invertase from tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) and expression of soluble and cell wall bound invertases in plants and wounded leaves of L. esculentum and L. peruvianum. Genes Genetics Systematic 73: 149–157. , , .
- 2001. Plants are resource mosaics: a functional model for predicting patterns of within-plant resource heterogeneity to consumers based on vascular architecture and local environmental variability. Oikos 94: 493–504. , .
- 2000. Vascular architecture generates fine scale variation in systemic induction of proteinase inhibitors in tomato. Journal of Chemistry Ecology 26: 471–485. , , .
- 1999. Evidence for physically distinct systemic signalling pathways in the wounded tomato plant. Annals of Botany London 84: 109–116. , , .
- 2000. Induction of chalcone synthase expression in white spruce by wounding and jasmonate. Plant Cell Physiology 41: 982–987. , , , .
- 2003. Extracellular invertase: key metabolic enzyme and PR protein. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 513–524. , , , , .
- 2002. Sugar sensing and signaling in plants. Plant Cell 14: S185–S205. , , .
- 2003. Constraints to herbivore-induced systemic responses: Bidirectional signaling along orthostichies in Nicotiana attenuata. Journal of Chemistry Ecology 29: 763–770. , .
- 1995. Is salicylic acid a translocated signal of systemic acquired resistance in tobacco? Plant Cell 7: 1691–1701. , , .
- 1999. Invertases, primary structures, functions, and roles in plant development and sucrose partitioning. Plant Physiology 121: 1–7. .
- 1990. cDNA cloning of carrot extracellular β-fructosidease and its expression in response to wounding and bacterial infection. Plant Cell 2: 1107–1119. , .
- 1996. The sink-specific and stress-regulated Arabidopsis STP4 gene: Enhanced expression of a gene encoding a monosaccharide transporter by wounding, elicitors, and pathogen challenge. Plant Cell 8: 2169–2182. , , , , .
- 1991. Carbon allocation, phenotypic plasticity and induced defenses. In: RauppM, TallamyDW, eds. Phytochemical induction by herbivores. New York, NY, USA: Wiley, 85–104. , , .
- 1988. Induced accumulation of foliage phenols in mountain birch: branch response to defoliation? American Naturalist 132: 602–608. , , , , .
- 1984. Nutrient stress: An explanation for plant anti-herbivore responses to defoliation. Oecologia 61: 208–210. , , .
- 1996. Induction of a pea cell-wall invertase gene by wounding and its localized expression in phloem. Plant Physiology 112: 1111–1117. , , .