A meta-analysis of mycorrhizal responses to nitrogen, phosphorus, and atmospheric CO2 in field studies
Version of Record online: 22 JUL 2004
Volume 164, Issue 2, pages 347–355, November 2004
How to Cite
Treseder, K. K. (2004), A meta-analysis of mycorrhizal responses to nitrogen, phosphorus, and atmospheric CO2 in field studies. New Phytologist, 164: 347–355. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01159.x
- Issue online: 22 JUL 2004
- Version of Record online: 22 JUL 2004
- Received: 28 February 2004 Accepted: 8 May 2004
- 2001. Modeling arbuscular mycorrhizal infection: is % infection an appropriate variable? Mycorrhiza 10: 255–258. .
- 1992. Influence of supplemental inorganic nutrients on growth, survivorship, and mycorrhizal relationships of Schizachyrium scoparium (Poaceae) grown in fumigated and unfumigated soil. American Journal of Botany 79: 406–414. , .
- 1995. Meta-analysis: synthesizing research findings in ecology and evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 236–240. , .
- 2000. Effects of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization on mycorrhizal formation of two poplar clones (Populus trichocarpa and P. tremula × tremuloides). Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 163: 491–497. , .
- 2002. The effects of nitrogen fertilization and soil properties on mycorrhizal formation of Salix viminalis. Forest Ecology and Management 160: 35–43. , , , .
- 1990. The response of natural ecosystems to the rising global CO2 levels. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 167–196. .
- 1992. The effect of prairie management practices on mycorrhizal symbiosis. Mycologia 84: 522–527. , .
- 2001. Occurrence of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in a phosphorus-poor wetland and mycorrhizal response to phosphorus fertilization. American Journal of Botany 88: 1824–1829. , , .
- 2000. Shifts in arbuscular mycorrhizal communities along an anthropogenic nitrogen deposition gradient. Ecological Applications 10: 484–496. , .
- 1992. Grain sorghum soybean rotation and fertilization influence on vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Soil Science Society of America Journal 56: 789–794. , , .
- 2002. The nitrogen budget of a pine forest under free air CO2 enrichment. Oecologia 132: 567–578. , , , , .
- 2001. Elevated atmospheric CO2 alters root symbiont community structure in forest trees. New Phytologist 152: 431–442. , , .
- 1998. Changes in mycorrhiza development in maize induced by crop management practices. Plant and Soil 198: 185–192. , .
- 2000. Nitrogen limitation of production in a Californian annual grassland: The contribution of arbuscular mycorrhizae. Biogeochemistry 49: 37–51. , .
- 1999. Statistical issues in ecological meta-analyses. Ecology 80: 1142–1149. , .
- Hedges. 1993. Meta-analysis: Combining the results of independent experiments. In: ScheinerSM, GurevitchJ, eds. Design and analysis of ecological experiments. New York, NY, USA: Chapman & Hall. ,
- 1992. A meta-analysis of competition in field experiments. American Naturalist 140: 539–572. , , , .
- 2003. The production of ectomycorrhizal mycelium in forests: Relation between forest nutrient status and local mineral sources. Plant and Soil 252: 279–290. , , .
- 1999. The meta-analysis of response ratios in experimental ecology. Ecology 80: 1150–1156. , , .
- 1987. Phosphorus fertilization reduces vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizal infection and changes nodule occupancy of field grown soybean. Agronomy Journal 79: 841–844. , .
- 1998. Effects of excess nitrogen deposition and soil acidification on sugar maple (Acer saccharum) in Ontario, Canada: an experimental study. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 28: 299–310. , , , .
- 1990. Rapid physiological adjustment of roots to localized soil enrichment. Nature 344: 58–60. , , .
- 2003. Nitrogen enrichment alters mycorrhizal allocation at five mesic to semiarid grasslands. Ecology 84: 1895–1908. , , , , .
- 2001. Promotion of AM utilization through reduced P fertilization 2. Field studies. Plant and Soil 231: 65–79. , , , .
- 1997. Effects of ammonium sulfate on the community structure and biomass of ectomycorrhizal fungi in a Norway spruce stand in southwestern Sweden. Canadian Journal of Botany 75: 1628–1642. , .
- 1999. The influence of elevated CO2 and O3 on fine roots and mycorrhizas of naturally growing young Scots pine trees during three exposure years. Global Change Biology 5: 771–780. , , .
- 2003. Ectomycorrhizal colonization, biomass, and production in a regenerating scrub oak forest in response to elevated CO2. Ecosystems 6: 424–430. , , , .
- 2003. Comparing arbuscular and ectomycorrhizal fungal communities in seven North American forests and their response to nitrogen fertilization. PhD Thesis. University of California, Davis, CA, USA. .
- 2003. Production, turnover and mycorrhizal colonization of root systems of three Populus species grown under elevated CO2 (POPFACE). Global Change Biology 9: 838–848. , , .
- 1994. Impact of phosphorus fertilization on VAM diaspores in two Swedish long-term field experiments. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 47: 327–334. , .
- 1971. The influence of phosphate and other nutrients on the development of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza in culture. Journal of General Microbiology 1971: 157–166. , .
- 2001. Soil fertility limits carbon sequestration by forest ecosystems in a CO2-enriched atmosphere. Nature 411: 469–472. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of nitrogen and phosphorus availability on fine-root dynamics in Hawaiian montane forests. Ecology 82: 485–499. .
- 2002. Dynamics of ectomycorrhizal fungi in an Eucalyptus globulus plantation: effect of phosphorus fertilization. Forest Ecology and Management 158: 291–304. , , .
- 1993. Cassava varietal response to phosphorus fertilization. 2. Phosphorus uptake and use efficiency. Field Crops Research 35: 13–20. , .
- 1993. Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to an elevated ambient CO2 concentration. Vegetatio 104: 77–97. .
- 1998. Grab It! In. Raleigh, NC, USA: DataTrend Software, Inc. .
- 1991. Mycorrhizas in ecosystems – Nature's response to the ‘Law of the minimum’ In: HawksworthDL, eds. Frontiers in mycology. Regensburg, Gemerany: CAB International, 101–130. .
- 2004. Ectomycorrhizal fungi: A new source of atmospheric methyl halides? Global Change Biology (In press.) , , .
- 1997. Belowground responses to increased atmospheric CO2 concentrations in birch (Betula pendula Roth.). In: MohrenGMJ, KramerK, SabateS, eds. Impacts of global change on tree physiology and forest ecosystems. Proceedings of the international conference on impacts of global change on tree physiology and forest ecosystems, held 26–29 November 1996, Wageningen, The Netherlands. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 207–212. , , .
- 1999a. Soil biota responses to long-term atmospheric CO2 enrichment in two California annual grasslands. Oecologia (Berlin) 119: 572–577. , , .
- 2000. Arbuscular mycorrhizae respond to elevated atmospheric CO2 after long-term exposure: evidence from a CO2 spring in New Zealand supports the resource balance model. Ecology Letters 3: 475–478. , , .
- 1999b. Long-term CO2 elevation affects soil structure of natural ecosystems. Nature 400: 628. , , , .
- 2001. Elevated carbon dioxide and irrigation effects on water stable aggregates in a Sorghum field: a possible role for arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Global Change Biology 7: 333–337. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Cotton roots and rhizosphere responses to free-air CO2 enrichment. Critical Reviews of Plant Science 11: 251–263. , , .
- 1994. Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment with emphasis on roots and the rhizosphere. Environmental Pollution 83: 155–189. , , .
- 2000. MetaWin: Statistical software for meta-analysis. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , , .
- 1994. Effects of free-air CO2 enrichment on microbial populations in the rhizosphere and phyllosphere of cotton. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 70: 117–130. , , , , , .
- 1996. Phosphorus requirement and nodulation of herbaceous and shrub legumes in low P soils of a Guinean savanna in Nigeria. Applied Soil Ecology 3: 247–255. , , , .
- 2001. Limited carbon storage in soil and litter of experimental forest plots under increased atmospheric CO2. Nature 411: 466–469. , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal symbiosis, 2nd edn. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 1998. Does elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide affect arbuscular mycorrhizas? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13: 455–458. , .
- 1993. The influence of nitrogen fertilizers on ectomycorrhizas and their fungal carpophores in young stands of Pinus sylvestris. Forest Ecology and Management 57: 179–189. .
- 1992. The effect of long term applications of phosphorus fertilizer on populations of vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in pastures. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 43: 1131–1142. , , .
- 2000. Mycorrhizal fungi have a potential role in soil carbon storage under elevated CO2 and nitrogen deposition. New Phytologist 147: 189–200. , .
- 2002. Direct N and P limitation of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: a model and field test. New Phytologist 155: 507–515. , .
- 2001. Effects of soil nutrient availability on investment in acquisition of N and P in Hawaiian rain forests. Ecology 82: 946–954. , .
- 2000. Utilization of rock phosphate by crops on a representative toposequence in the Northern Guinea savanna zone of Nigeria: response by Mucuna pruriens, Lablab purpureus and maize. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 32: 2063–2077. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Beyond global warming: Ecology and global change. Ecology 75: 1861–1876. .