Poplar genes encoding fasciclin-like arabinogalactan proteins are highly expressed in tension wood
Article first published online: 1 SEP 2004
Volume 164, Issue 1, pages 107–121, October 2004
How to Cite
Lafarguette, F., Leplé, J.-C., Déjardin, A., Laurans, F., Costa, G., Lesage-Descauses, M.-C. and Pilate, G. (2004), Poplar genes encoding fasciclin-like arabinogalactan proteins are highly expressed in tension wood. New Phytologist, 164: 107–121. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01175.x
- Issue published online: 1 SEP 2004
- Article first published online: 1 SEP 2004
- Received: 29 April 2004 Accepted: 24 June 2004
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Research 25: 3389–3402. , , , , , ,
- 2003. Asymmetric expression of a poplar ACC oxidase controls ethylene production during gravitational induction of tension wood. Plant Journal 34: 339–349. , , , , ,
- 1997. The significance of digital gene expression profiles. Genome Research 7: 986–995. ,
- 2001. A general theory for the origin of growth stresses in reaction wood: how trees stay upright. IAWA Journal 22: 205–212.
- 2003. Identification of glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored proteins in Arabidopsis. A proteomic and genomic analysis. Plant Physiology 132: 568–577. , , ,
- 2002. Prediction of glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored proteins in Arabidopsis. A genomic analysis. Plant Physiology 129: 486–499. , , , ,
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilising the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254.
- 2001. Strong decrease in lignin content without significant alteration of plant development is induced by simultaneous down-regulation of cinnamoyl CoA reductase (CCR) and cinnamyl alcohol dehydrogenase (CAD) in tobacco plants. Plant Journal 28: 257–270. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Expressed sequence tags from poplar wood tissues – a comparative analysis from multiple libraries. Plant Biology 6: 55–64. , , , ,
- 2000. A basic chitinase-like protein secreted by embryogenic tissues of Carribean pine acts on arbinogalactan proteins extracted from the same cell lines. Journal of Plant Physiology 156: 33–39. , , , ,
- 2003. Glycosylphosphatidylinositol lipid anchoring of plant proteins. Sensitive prediction from sequence- and genome-wide studies for Arabidopsis and rice. Plant Physiology 133: 1691–1701. , , , , ,
- 1983. Arabinogalactan-proteins: Structure, biosynthesis and function. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 34: 47–70. , ,
- 2001. The complex structures of arabinogalactan-proteins and the journey towards understanding function. Plant Molecular Biology 47: 161–176. , , , , .
- 2004. Patterns of auxin distribution during gravitational induction of reaction wood in poplar and pine. Plant Physiology 135: 212–220. , ,
- 1994. Algal-CAMs; isoforms of a cell adhesion molecule in embryos of the alga Volvox with homology to Drosophila fasciclin I. EMBO Journal 13: 4212–4222. , .
- 2003. Isolation and analyses of genes preferentially expressed during early cotton fiber development by subtractive PCR and cDNA array. Nucleic Acids Research 31: 2534–2543. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. The fasciclin-like arabinogalactan proteins of Arabidopsis. A multigene family of putative cell adhesion molecules. Plant Physiolology 133: 1911–1925. , , ,
- 2003. Xylem-specific and tension stress–responsive expression of cellulose synthase genes from aspen trees. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 105: 17–26. .
- 1997. Le bois de tension – 1. Définition et distribution dans l ’arbre. Biotechnology, Agronomy, Society and Environement 1: 100–112. .
- 2003. Effect of gravitational stimulus duration on tension wood formation in young stems of poplar (P-euramericana ev ‘Ghoy’). Annals of Forest Science 60: 31–41. ,
- 2001. Comparison of basic density and longitudinal shrinkage in tension wood and opposite wood in young stems of Populus euramericana cv Ghoy when subjected to gravitational stimulus. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 31: 1676–1683. , ,
- 1998. Structural and phylogenetic analyses of RGD-CAP/beta ig-h3, a fasciclin-like adhesion protein expressed in chick chondrocytes. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1395: 288–292. , , , , , , ,
- 2001. The latest hype on Hyp-O-glycosylation codes. Phytochemistry 57: 319–323.
- 2001. Synthetic genes for the elucidation of glycosylation codes for arabinogalactan-proteins and other hydroxyproline-rich glycoproteins. Cellular and Molecular Life Science 58: 1386–1398. ,
- 2002. Identification of motifs in the fasciclin domains of the transforming growth factor-beta-induced matrix protein betaig-h3 that interact with the alphavbeta5 integrin. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 46159–46165. , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Identification of motifs for cell adhesion within the repeated domains of transforming growth factor-beta -induced gene, beta ig-h3. Journal of Biological Chemistry 275: 30907–30915. , , , , ,
- 1991. Developmentally regulated epitopes of cell surface arabinogalactan proteins and their relation to root tissue pattern formation. Plant Journal 1: 317–326. , , , ,
- 2003. BRITTLE CULM1, which encodes a COBRA-like protein, affects the mechanical properties of rice plants. Plant Cell 15: 2020–2031. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2000. Purification and cloning of an arabinogalactan-protein from xylem of loblolly pine. Planta 210: 686–689. , ,
- 1995. Xylem-specific gene expression in loblolly pine. Plant Molecular Biology 27: 277–291. ,
- 2002. SAGE profiling and demonstration of differential gene expression along the axial developmental gradient of lignifying xylem in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda). Tree Physiology 22: 301–310. ,
- 1997. Soluble signals from cells identified at the cell wall establish a developmental pathway in carrot. Plant Cell 9: 2225–2241. , , ,
- 2002. Environmental and auxin regulation of wood formation involves members of the Aux/IAA gene family in hybrid aspen. Plant Journal 31: 675–685. , , , , , ,
- 2000. Hormonal and developmental regulation of two loblolly pine xylem arabinogalactan – proteins. Physiologia Plantarum 110: 524–529. ,
- 2000. Sequences upstream and downstream of two xylem-specific pine genes influence their expression. Plant Science 160: 77–86. , ,
- 1966. Physical and chemical properties of the gelatinous layer in tension wood fibers of Aspen (Populus tremula L.). Holzforschung 20: 174–178. ,
- 1997. Proteoglycans and related components in plant cells. International Review of Cytology. 174: 195–290.
- 1994. Growth stresses in tension wood: role of microfibrils and lignification. Annals of Forest Sciences 51: 291–300. , , , ,
- 1960. Embedding in epoxy resins ultrathin sectioning in electron microscopy. Stain Technology 35: 313–316. , ,
- 1969. The effect of gravity on the formation of wood. Science Program Oxford 57: 513–532.
- 2002. Induction of a class III acidic chitinase in foliar explants of Coffea arabica L. during somatic embryogenesis and wounding. Plant Science 163: 705–711. ,
- 1989. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd edn. New York, NY, USA: Cold Spring. Harbour Laboratory Press. , ,
- 2001. COBRA encodes a putative GPI-anchored protein, which is polarly localized and necessary for oriented cell expansion in Arabidopsis. Genes and Development 15: 1115–1127. , , , , , , ,
- 1995. Arabinogalactan proteins in maize coleoptiles: developmental relationship to cell death during xylem differentiation but not to extension growth. Plant Journal 7: 25–36. , ,
- 2002. Using genomic resources to guide research directions. The arabinogalactan protein gene family as a test case plant. Plant Physiology 129: 1448–1463. , , , , ,
- 1973. Reaction wood: its structure and function. Science 179: 647–655.
- 2002. The Arabidopsis sku5 gene encodes an extracellular glycosyl phosphatidylinositol-anchored glycoprotein involved in directional root growth. Plant Cell 14: 1635–1648. , , , ,
- 2003. The Arabidopsis SOS5 locus encodes a putative cell surface adhesion protein and is required for normal cell expansion. Plant Cell 15: 19–32. , , , ,
- 1993. Structure and function of plant cell wall proteins. Plant Cell 5: 9–23.
- 2001. Arabinogalactan-proteins: structure, expression and function. Cellular and Molecular Life Science 58: 1399–1417.
- 1999. Synthetic genes for glycoprotein design and the elucidation of hydroxyproline-O-glycosylation codes. Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 14736–14741. , ,
- 2003. Glycosylation motifs that direct arabinogalactan addition to arabinogalactan-proteins. Plant Physiology 132: 1362–1369. , ,
- 1969. The chemical composition of tension wood. Svensk Papperstidning 72: 173–181.
- 1986. Compression wood in gymnosperms. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag.
- 1984. Immunoblotting and dot immunobinding: current status and outlook. Journal of Immunological Methods 72: 313–340. ,
- 2001. Functional genomics and cell wall biosynthesis in loblolly pine. Plant Molecular Biology 47: 275–291. , , ,
- 2003. An arabinogalactan protein associated with secondary cell wall formation in differentiating xylem of loblolly pine. Plant Molecular Biology 52: 91–102. , , , , , ,
- 2000. Differential expression of genes encoding cell wall proteins in vascular tissues from vertical and bent loblolly pine trees. Tree Physiology 20: 457–466. , ,