Fine root distribution and persistence under field conditions of three co-occurring Great Basin species of different life form
Article first published online: 10 SEP 2004
Volume 165, Issue 1, pages 171–180, January 2005
How to Cite
Peek, M. S., Leffler, A. J., Ivans, C. Y., Ryel, R. J. and Caldwell, M. M. (2005), Fine root distribution and persistence under field conditions of three co-occurring Great Basin species of different life form. New Phytologist, 165: 171–180. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01186.x
- Issue published online: 10 SEP 2004
- Article first published online: 10 SEP 2004
- Received: 7 May 2004 Accepted: 24 June 2004
- 1995. Survival analysis using the SAS system: a practical guide. Cary, NC, USA: BBU Press, SAS Institute. .
- 2003. Multiple risk factors in root survivorship: a 4-year study in Concord grape. New Phytologist 158: 489–501. , , , .
- 1997. Exploitation of springtime ephemeral N pulses by six Great Basin plant species. Ecology 78: 231–243. , .
- 1949. The shadscale vegetation zone of Nevada and eastern California in relation to climate and soils. American Midland Naturalist 42: 87–109. .
- 1998. Differences in root longevity of some tree species. Tree Physiology 18: 259–264. , , , , .
- 1975. Primary production of grazing lands. In: CooperJP, ed. Photosynthesis and productivity in different environments. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 41–73. .
- 1979. Root structure: the considerable cost of belowground function. In: SolbrigOT, JainS, JohnsonGB, RavenPH, eds. Topics in plant population biology. New York, NY, USA: Columbia University Press, 408–432. .
- 1985. Cold desert. In: ChabotBF MooneyHA, eds. Physiological ecology of North American plant communities. New York, NY, USA: Chapman & Hall, 198–212. .
- 1986. Competitive position of species in respect to grazing tolerance: some perspective on physiological processes. In: JossPJ, LynchPW, WilliamsOB, eds. Rangelands: a resource under siege. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 447–449. , .
- 2000. Assessing root death and root system dynamics in a study of grape canopy pruning. New Phytologist 147: 171–178. , , .
- 1972. Regression models and life tables. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society 34: 187–220. .
- 2003. Covariation in leaf and root traits for native and non-native grasses along an altitudinal gradient in New Zealand. Oecologia 134: 471–478. , .
- 1989. The effect of soil drought on water-use efficiency in a contrasting Great Basin desert and Sierran montane species. Plant, Cell & Environment 12: 935–940. , .
- 1990. Basin hydrology and plant root systems. In: OsmondCB, PitelkaLF, HidyGM, eds. Plant biology of the basin and range. Ecological studies 80. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 243–292. , , .
- 1997. The ecology of root lifespan. Advances in Ecological Research 27: 1–60. , .
- 2000. Building roots in a changing environment: implications for root longevity. New Phytologist 147: 33–42. , , , .
- 1993. Growth, photosynthesis, and resource investment for vegetative and reproductive modules of Artemisia tridentata. Ecology 74: 1516–1528. , .
- 1975. Phenology and dynamics of root growth of three cool semi-desert shrubs under field conditions. Journal of Ecology 63: 703–714. , .
- 1992. The demography of fine roots in a northern hardwood forest. Ecology 73: 1094–1104. , .
- 1993. The dynamics of fine root length, biomass, and nitrogen content in two northern hardwood ecosystems. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 23: 2507–2520. , .
- 2003. Root responses and nitrogen acquisition by Artemisia tridentata and Agropyron desertorum following small summer rainfall events. Oecologia 134: 317–324. , , , , , .
- 1958. Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. Journal of the American Statistical Association 53: 457–481. , .
- 1964. Cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum L.). Botanical Review 30: 226–262. , .
- 1992. Bayesian statistics: an introduction. New York, NY, USA: Halstead Press, 1992. .
- 2003. Impacts of fine root turnover on forest NPP and soil C sequestration potential. Science 302: 1385–1387. , , , , .
- 2003. Decomposition of and nutrient dynamics in leaf litter and roots of Poa ligularis and Stipa gyneriodes. Journal of Arid Environments 55: 503–514. , .
- 2001. Root and leaf production, mortality and longevity in response to soil heterogeneity. Functional Ecology 15: 748–753. , .
- 1993. The demography of fine roots in response to patches of water and nitrogen. New Phytologist 125: 575–580. , , .
- 1997. Relationships among root branch order, carbon, and nitrogen in four temperate species. Oecologia 111: 302–308. , , , .
- 1998. Variation in sugar maple root respiration with root diameter and soil depth. Tree Physiology 18: 665–670. , , , , .
- 2000. Responses of tree fine roots to temperature. New Phytologist 147: 105–115. , , , .
- 1999. Impact of drought on desert shrubs: effects of seasonality and degree of resource island development. Ecological Monographs 69: 69–106. , , , , .
- 1992. Photosynthesis, growth, and biomass allocation in habitat ecotypes of cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum). Functional Ecology 6: 32–40. , , , .
- 1989. Water in the environment. In: PearcyRW, EhleringerJ, MooneyHA, RundelPW, eds. Plant physiological ecology. London, UK: Chapman & Hall, 29–56. , .
- 2003. Rapid soil moisture recharge to depth by roots in a stand of Artemisia tridentata. Ecology 84: 757–764. , , , .
- 1996. The importance of tissue density for growth and life span of leaves and roots: a comparison of five ecologically contrasting grasses. Functional Ecology 10: 717–723. .
- 1995. Root and leaf attributes accounting for the performance of fast- and slow-growing grasses at different nutrient supply. Plant and Soil 170: 251–265. , .
- 1982. Small rainfall events: an ecological role in semi-arid regions. Oecologia 53: 301–304. , .
- 2002. Rooting depths, lateral root spreads and below-ground/above-ground allometries of plants in water-limited ecosystems. Journal of Ecology 90: 480–494. , .
- 1996. Leaf and root turnover of three ecologically contrasting grass species in relation to their performance along a productivity gradient. Oikos 75: 398–406. , .
- 2001. Global patterns in root decomposition: comparisons of climate and litter quality effects. Oecologia 129: 407–419. , .
- 1990. Ecophysiology of plants in the Intermountain lowlands. In: OsmondCB, PitlekaLF, HidyGM, eds. Plant biology of the basin and range. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag, 179–241. , .
- 2003. The secret lives of roots. Science 302: 1344–1345. ,
- 2002. Seasonal soil-water availability influences snakeweed root dynamics. Journal of Arid Environments 51: 255–264. , , .
- 2001. Marked differences in survivorship among apple roots of different diameters. Ecology 82: 882–892. , .
- 2003. Root longevity and phenology differences between two co-occurring savanna bunchgrasses with different leaf habits. Functional Ecology 17: 20–28. , , .
- 2004. Fine root growth dynamics of four Mojave Desert shrubs as related to soil moisture and microsite. Journal of Arid Environments 56: 129–148. , , , .