Rapid decline in nitrate uptake and respiration with age in fine lateral roots of grape: implications for root efficiency and competitive effectiveness
Article first published online: 20 OCT 2004
Volume 165, Issue 2, pages 493–502, February 2005
How to Cite
Volder, A., Smart, D. R., Bloom, A. J. and Eissenstat, D. M. (2005), Rapid decline in nitrate uptake and respiration with age in fine lateral roots of grape: implications for root efficiency and competitive effectiveness. New Phytologist, 165: 493–502. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01222.x
- Issue published online: 27 OCT 2004
- Article first published online: 20 OCT 2004
- Received: 6 July 2004 Accepted: 20 July 2004
- 2003. Multiple risk factors in root survivorship: a 4-year study in Concord grape. New Phytologist 158: 489–501. , , , .
- 1980. The growth and distribution of fruit tree roots: some consequences for nutrient uptake. In: AtkinsonD, JacksonJE, SharplesRO, WallerWM, eds. Mineral nutrition of fruit tree roots: some consequences for nutrient uptake. London, UK: Butterworths. 137–150. , .
- 1984. Soil nutrient bioavailability, a mechanistic approach. New York, NY, USA: JohnWiley & Sons. .
- 1981. Nitrogen uptake model for agronomic crops. In: IskandarIK, ed. Modeling waster water renovation land treatment. New York, NY, USA: JohnWiley & Sons, 382–409. , .
- 1988. Root excision decreases nutrient absorption and gas fluxes. Plant Physiology 87: 794–796. , .
- 2002. Root development and absorption of ammonium and nitrate from the rhizosphere. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 21: 416–431. , , , .
- 1992. Root respiration associated with ammonium and nitrate absorption and assimilation by barley. Plant Physiology 99: 1294–1301. , , .
- 2001. Estimating age-dependent costs and benefits of roots with contrasting life span: comparing apples and oranges. New Phytologist 150: 685–695. , , , , , .
- 2000. Relationships between fine root dynamics and nitrogen availability in Michigan northern hardwood forests. Oecologia 125: 389–399. , , .
- 1994. Exploiting nutrients in fertile soil microsites. In: CaldwellMM, PearcyRW, eds. Exploitation of environmental heterogeneity by plants: ecophysiological processes above- and belowground. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 325–347. .
- 1968. Ion uptake and root age. Nature 220: 805–806. , , .
- 1998. Molecular and physiological aspects of nitrate uptake in plants. Trends in Plant Science 3: 389–395. , .
- 2000. Building fine roots in a changing environment: implications for root longevity. New Phytologist 147: 33–42. , , , .
- 1997. The ecology of root lifespan. Advances in Ecological Research 27: 1–60. , .
- 2004. The plastic plant: root responses to heterogeneous supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 162: 9–24. .
- 2000b. Are microorganisms more effective than plants at competing for nitrogen? Trends in Plant Science 5: 304–308. , , .
- 1999. Why plants bother: root proliferation results in increased nitrogen capture from an organic patch when two grasses compete. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 811–820. , , , .
- 2000a. Plant N capture and microfaunal dynamics from decomposing grass and earthworm residues in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 32: 1763–1772. , , , , .
- 1992. Short-term experiments on ion transport by seedlings and excised roots: Technique and validity. Plant Physiology 100: 1914–1920. , , , , .
- 1989. Short-term partitioning of ammonium and nitrate between plants and microbes in an annual grassland. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 21: 409–415. , , .
- 1966. Seasonal variations in the proportions of suberized and unsuberized roots of trees in relation to the absorption of water. American Journal of Botany 53: 200–204. , .
- 1995. Compartmentation and flux characteristics of nitrate in spruce. Planta 196: 674–682. , , .
- 2003. Impacts of fine root turnover on forest NPP and soil C sequestration potential. Science 302: 1385–1387. , , , , .
- 1990. Water influx characteristics and hydraulic conductivity for roots of agave deserti engelm. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 409–415. , , .
- 1991. Respiratory energy requirements vary with the potential growth rate of a plant species. Physiologia Plantarum 83: 469–475. , , , .
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 1997. Relationships among root branch order, carbon, and nitrogen in four temperate species. Oecologia 111: 302–308. , , .
- 1990. The role of woody roots of slash pine seedlings in water and potassium absorption. Canadian Journal of Forestry Research 20: 1183–1191. , .
- 1994. The responses of plants to non-uniform supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 127: 635–674. .
- 1999. Plant root proliferation in nitrogen-rich patches confers competitive advantage. Proceedings of the Rayal Society of London B 266: 431–435. , , , .
- 2004. Exposure to elevated carbon dioxide concentration in the dark lowers the respiration quotient of Vitis cane wood. Tree Physiology 24: 115–120. .
- 1998. Growth requirement for N as a criterion to assess the effects of physical manipulation on nitrate uptake fluxes in spinach. Physiologia Plantarum 103: 181–192. , , , , , , .
- 1980. Determination of nitrate and nitrite by High-Pressure Liquid Chromatography: comparison with other methods for nitrate determination. Analytical Biochemistry 102: 110–119. , .
- 1988. Respiratory costs for the maintenance of biomass, for growth and for ion uptake in roots of Carex diandra and Carex acutiformis. Physiologia Plantarum 72: 483–491. , , , .
- 2001. Marked differences in survivorship among apple roots of different diameters. Ecology 82: 882–892. , .
- 2002. Soil insects alter fine root demography in peach (Prunus persica). Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 431–439. , , .
- 1994. Soil solution chemistry. New York, NY, USA: JohnWiley & Sons. .
- 1995. Efficiency of nutrient acquisition by fine roots and mycorrhizae. In: SmithWK, HinckleyTM, eds. Resource physiology of conifers. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 75–103. , , .