What have we learned from 15 years of free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE)? A meta-analytic review of the responses of photosynthesis, canopy properties and plant production to rising CO2
Version of Record online: 18 NOV 2004
Volume 165, Issue 2, pages 351–372, February 2005
How to Cite
Ainsworth, E. A. and Long, S. P. (2005), What have we learned from 15 years of free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE)? A meta-analytic review of the responses of photosynthesis, canopy properties and plant production to rising CO2. New Phytologist, 165: 351–372. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01224.x
- Issue online: 18 NOV 2004
- Version of Record online: 18 NOV 2004
- Received: 21 July 2004 Accepted: 26 July 2004
- 2002. A meta-analysis of elevated [CO2] effects on soybean (Glycine max) physiology, growth and yield. Global Change Biology 8: 695–709. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Is stimulation of leaf photosynthesis by elevated carbon dioxide concentration maintained in the long term? A test with Lolium perenne grown for 10 years at two nitrogen fertilization levels under free air CO2 enrichment (FACE). Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 705–714. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Testing the ‘source–sink’ hypothesis of down-regulation of photosynthesis in elevated [CO2] in the field with single gene substitutions in Glycine max. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 122: 85–94. , , , .
- 1995. Terrestrial higher-plant response to increasing atmospheric [CO2] in relation to the global carbon cycle. Global Change Biology 1: 243–274. .
- 2000. Direct effect of elevated CO2 on nocturnal in situ leaf respiration in nine temperate deciduous tree species is small. Tree Physiology 20: 139–144. .
- 2001. Effects of atmospheric CO2 on wheat yield: review of results from experiments using various approaches to control CO2 concentrations. Field Crops Research 73: 1–34. .
- 1991. Effects of sink–source relations on photosynthetic acclimation to elevated [CO2]. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 869–875. .
- 1990. The response of natural ecosystems to the rising global CO2 levels. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 167–196. .
- 2003. The importance of low atmospheric CO2 and fire in promoting the spread of grasslands and savannas. Global Change Biology 9: 973–982. , , .
- 1993. Facing the inevitable: plants and increasing atmospheric CO2. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 44: 309–332. .
- 2001. Photosynthetic responses of temperate species to free air CO2 enrichment (FACE) in a grazed New Zealand pasture. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 439–450. , , , , .
- 1994. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on woody plants. New Phytologist 127: 425–446. , .
- 2001. CO2 enrichment increases water-use efficiency in sorghum. New Phytologist 151: 407–412. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Crop responses to carbon dioxide doubling: a literature survey. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 38: 127–145. , .
- 1996. A meta-analysis of leaf gas exchange and nitrogen in trees grown under elevated carbon dioxide. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 127–137. .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form, and physiology. Oecologia 113: 299–313. , .
- 2004. Respiratory oxygen uptake is not decreased by an instantaneous elevation of [CO2], but is increased with long-term growth at the field in elevated [CO2]. Plant Physiology 134: 520–527. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Photosynthetic responses to CO2 enrichment of four hardwood species in a forest understory. Oecologia 122: 11–19. , .
- 2000. Forest Atmosphere Carbon Transfer Storage (FACTS II) – The Aspen Free-air CO2 and O3 Enrichment (FACE) project: an overview. General Technical Report, NC-214. St. Paul, MN, USA: USDA Forest Service, North Central Experiment Station. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. More efficient plants: a consequence of rising atmospheric CO2? Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 609–639. , , .
- 2001. The effects of elevated CO2 on seed production and seedling recruitment in a sheep-grazed pasture. Oecologia 127: 383–394. , , .
- 1995. Leaf and canopy responses to elevated CO2 in a pine forest under free-air CO2 enrichment. Oecologia 104: 139–146. , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of elevated CO2, nitrogen supply and tropospheric ozone on spring wheat. 1. Growth and yield. Environmental Pollution 91: 381–390. , , , , , .
- 2000. The growth response of C4 plants to rising atmospheric CO2 partial pressure: a reassessment. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 931–942. , , , .
- 1994. Photosynthetic acclimation in trees to rising atmospheric CO2: a broader perspective. Photosynthesis Research 39: 369–388. , .
- 1997. Growth response of Trifolium repens L. and Lolium perenne L. as monocultures and bi-species mixture to free air CO2 enrichment and management. Global Change Biology 3: 149–160. , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Statistical methods for meta-analysis, New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 1999. The meta-analysis of response ratios in experimental ecology. Ecology 80: 1150–1156. , , .
- 1993. Free air carbon dioxide enrichment: development, progress, results. Vegetatio 104/105: 17–31. , , .
- 1997. Can photosynthesis respond to short-term fluctuations in atmospheric carbon dioxide? Photosynthesis Research 51: 179–184. , , , .
- 1999. A free-air enrichment system for exposing tall forest vegetation to elevated atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology 5: 293–309. , , , .
- 2001. No photosynthetic down-regulation in sweetgum trees (Liquidambar styraciflua L.) after three years of CO2 enrichment at the Duke forest FACE experiment. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 53–64. , .
- 2003. Photosynthetic CO2 uptake in seedlings of two tropical tree species exposed to oscillating elevated concentrations of CO2. Planta 218: 152–158. , .
- 2003. Photosynthesis of coppicing poplar clones in a free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) experiment in a short-rotation forest. Functional Plant Biology 30: 391–400. .
- 2001. Growth in elevated CO2 can both decrease and increase photochemistry and photoinhibition of photosynthesis in a predictable manner. Dactylis glomerata grown in two levels of nitrogen nutrition. Plant Physiology 127: 1204–1211. , , .
- 2000. Sucrose-phosphate synthase responds differently to source–sink relations and to photosynthetic rates: Lolium perenne L. growing at elevated pCO2 in the field. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 597–607. , , , .
- 2003. Integrated assessment of Hadley Center (HADCM2) climate-change impacts on agricultural productivity and irrigation water supply in the conterminous United States – part ii. Regional agricultural production in 2030 and 2095. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 117: 97–122. , , , .
- 2002. Plant reproduction under elevated CO2 conditions: a meta-analysis of reports of 79 crop and wild species. New Phytologist 156: 9–26. , , .
- 2001. Atmospheric CO2 concentration does not directly affect leaf respiration in bean or poplar. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 1139–1151. .
- 1999. Biotic, abiotic and performance aspects of the Nevada Desert Free-air CO2 Enrichment (FACE) Facility. Global Change Biology 5: 659–668. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Impacts of elevated atmospheric CO2 on forest trees and forest ecosystems: knowledge gaps. Environmental International 29: 161–169. .
- 2001. Meta-analysis of the interaction between shade-tolerance, light environment and growth response of woody species to elevated CO2. Acta Oecologica 22: 61–69. .
- 2003. Seasonal changes in the effects of elevated CO2 on rice at three levels of nitrogen supply: a free air CO2 enrichment (FACE) experiment. Global Change Biology 9: 826–837. , , , , .
- 1983. Carbon dioxide and agricultural yield: an assemblage and analysis of 430 prior observations. Agronomy Journal 75: 779–788. .
- 1995. Productivity and water use of wheat under free-air CO2 enrichment. Global Change Biology 1: 429–442. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Responses of agricultural crops to free-air CO2 enrichment. Advances in Agronomy 77: 293–368. , , .
- 1994. Design and application of a free-air carbon dioxide enrichment facility. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 70: 15–29. , , , .
- 1992. Photosynthetic CO2 assimilation and rising atmospheric CO2 concentrations. In: BakerNR, ThomasH, eds. Crop photosynthesis: spatial and temporal determinants. Topics in Photosynthesis Research Vol. 12. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier, 69–104. , .
- 2004. Rising atmospheric carbon dioxide: plants FACE the future. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 591–628. , , , .
- 1998. Long-term responsiveness to free air CO2 enrichment of functional types, species and genotypes of plants from fertile permanent grassland. Oecologia 113: 37–45. , , .
- 2000. Direct evidence that symbiotic N2 fixation in fertile grassland is an important trait for a strong response of plants to elevated atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology 6: 655–662. , , , .
- 1999. Free air carbon dioxide enrichment (FACE) in global change research: a review. Advances in Ecological Research 28: 1–55. , .
- 1994. Growth and yield of cotton in response to a free-air carbon dioxide enrichment (FACE) environment. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 70: 49–67. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Effects of elevated [CO2] on photosynthesis in European forest species: a meta-analysis of model parameters. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 1475–1495. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Stomatal conductance of forest species after long-term exposure to elevated CO2 concentration: a synthesis. New Phytologist 149: 247–264. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Free air CO2 enrichment of potato (Solanum tuberosum, L.): design and performance of the CO2-fumigation system. Global Change Biology 3: 417–427. , , ,
- 2001. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) of a poplar plantation: the POPFACE fumigation system. New Phytologist 150: 465–476. , , , , , .
- 2004. Soybean's future: photosynthesis sucrose transport, dry mass accumulation and yield in a changing atmosphere. PhD thesis. Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA: University of Illinois. .
- 2001. Elevated CO2 enhances water relations and productivity and affects gas exchange in C-3 and C-4 grasses of the Colorado shortgrass steppe. Global Change Biology 7: 451–466. , , , .
- 2003. How does elevated ozone impact soybean? A meta-analysis of photosynthesis, growth and yield. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 1317–1328. , , .
- 2000. Photosynthetic sunfleck utilization potential of understory saplings growing under elevated CO2 in FACE. Oecologia 122: 163–174. , .
- 1999. Tree responses to rising CO2 in field experiments: implications for the future forest. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 683–714. , , , , .
- 2001. Allometric determination of tree growth in a CO2-enriched sweetgum stand. New Phytologist 150: 447–487. , , , .
- 2004. Functional responses of plants to elevated atmospheric CO2– do photosynthetic and productivity data from FACE experiments support early predictions? New Phytologist 162: 253–280. , , .
- 2001. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) using pure CO2 injection: system description. New Phytologist 150: 251–260. , , , , , .
- 2001. Elevated [CO2] increases sorghum biomass under drought conditions. New Phytologist 150: 261–273. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The carbon cycle and atmospheric carbon dioxide. In: HoughtonJT, DingY, GriggsDJ, NoguerM, Van Der LindenPJ, DaiX, MaskellK, JohnsonCA, eds. Climate change 2001: the scientific basis. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 183–237. .
- 2001. Do species and functional groups differ in acquisition and use of C, N and water under varying atmospheric CO2 and N availability regimes? A field test with 16 grassland species. New Phytologist 150: 435–448. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Photosynthetic acclimation of Pinus taeda (loblolly pine) to long-term growth in elevated pCO2 (FACE). Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 851–858. , .
- 2000. A mechanistic evaluation of photosynthetic acclimation at elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 6: 1005–1011. , .
- 2000. metawin: statistical software for meta-analysis, version 2.0. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , , .
- 1990. A model describing the regulation of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase, electron transport and triose phosphate used in response to light intensity and CO2 in C3 plants. Plant Physiology 94: 1728–1734. .
- 1997. Plant responses to high CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere. Photosynthetica 33: 7–37. , , .
- 1998. Tree and forest functioning in an enriched CO2 atmosphere. New Phytologist 139: 395–436. , , .
- 2000. Diurnal regulation of photosynthesis in understory saplings. New Phytologist 145: 39–49. , , .
- 2002. Rubisco: structure, regulatory interactions, and possibilities for a better enzyme. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 449–475. , .
- 1999. The interaction between elevated carbon dioxide and nitrogen nutrition: the physiological and molecular background. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 583–621. , .
- 2001. Photosynthesis, light and nitrogen relationships in a young deciduous forest canopy under open-air CO2 enrichment. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 1257–1268. , , , , , .
- 2001. Elevated atmospheric CO2 improved Sorghum plant water status by ameliorating the adverse effects of drought. New Phytologist 152: 231–248. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Responses of wild C4 and C3 grass (Poaceae) species to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration: a meta-analytic test of current theories and perceptions. Global Change Biology 5: 723–741. , , , .
- 1999. Elevated CO2 studies: past, present and future. Tree Physiology 19: 211–220. , .
- 1996. Stimulation of symbiotic N2 fixation in Trifolium repens L. under atmospheric pCO2 in a grassland ecosystem. Plant Physiology 112: 575–583. , , , , , , , , .