Comparison of root absorption, translocation and tolerance of arsenic in the hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata and the nonhyperaccumulator Pteris tremula
Article first published online: 12 NOV 2004
Volume 165, Issue 3, pages 755–761, March 2005
How to Cite
Caille, N., Zhao, F. J. and McGrath, S. P. (2005), Comparison of root absorption, translocation and tolerance of arsenic in the hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata and the nonhyperaccumulator Pteris tremula. New Phytologist, 165: 755–761. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01239.x
- Issue published online: 12 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 12 NOV 2004
- Received: 29 July 2004 Accepted: 19 August 2004
- 2003. Mechanisms of arsenate tolerance in Cytisus striatus. New Phytologist 157: 33–38. , , , , .
- 1999. Arsenic species: effects on and accumulation by tomato plants. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 47: 1247–1253. , , , , .
- 1974. A method for characterizing the relation between nutrient concentration and flux into roots of intact plants. Plant Physiology 54: 564–568. , .
- 1999. Phytochelatin synthase genes from arabidopsis and the yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Plant Cell 11: 1153–1163. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Phytochelatins are involved in differential arsenate tolerance in Holcus lanatus. Plant Physiology 126: 299–306. , , , , , .
- 1966. Sand and Water Culture Methods Used in the Study of Plant Nutrition, 2nd edn. Farnham, UK: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. .
- 2004. Phytofiltration of arsenic from drinking water using arsenic-hyperaccumulating ferns. Environmental Science and Technology 38: 3412–3417. , , , .
- 1992. Trace Elements in Soils and Plants, 2nd edn. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press. , .
- 1998. Determination of chemical availability of cadmium and zinc in soils using inert soil moisture samplers. Environmental Pollution 99: 293–298. , , , .
- 1997. The role of metal transport and tolerance in nickel hyperaccumulation by Thlaspi goesingense Halacsy. Plant Physiology 115: 1641–1650. , , , , .
- 1996. Physiological characterization of root Zn2+ absorption and translocation to shoots in Zn hyperaccumulator and nonaccumulator species of Thlaspi. Plant Physiology 112: 1715–1722. , , .
- 2002. Arsenic distribution and speciation in the fronds of the hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. New Phytologist 156: 195–203. , , , , .
- 2001. A fern that hyperaccumulates arsenic. Nature 409: 579–579. , , , , , .
- 1992. The influence of chemical form and concentration of arsenic on rice growth and tissue arsenic concentration. Plant and Soil 139: 175–183. , , .
- 2003. Phytoextraction of metals and metalloids from contaminated soils. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 14: 277–282. , .
- 2003. Variation in arsenic accumulation – hyperaccumulation in ferns and their allies. New Phytologist 157: 25–31. .
- 2002. Arsenic uptake and metabolism in arsenic-resistant and nonresistant plant species. New Phytologist 154: 29–43. , .
- 1991. The mechanisms of arsenate tolerance in Deschampsia cespitosa (L.) Beauv. and Agrostis capillaris L. New Phytologist 119: 291–297. , .
- 1992. Suppression of the high-affinity phosphate uptake system: a mechanism of arsenate tolerance in Holcus lanatus L. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 519–524. , .
- Numerical Algorithms Group. 1998. genstat 5 for Windows, Release 4.1. Oxford, UK: NAG Ltd.
- 2000. Reduction and coordination of arsenic in Indian mustard. Plant Physiology 122: 1171–1177. , , , , , .
- 2004. The nature of arsenic–phytochelatin complexes in Holcus lanatus and Pteris cretica. Plant Physiology 134: 1113–1122. , , .
- 2002. The role of phytochelatins in constitutive and adaptive heavy metal tolerances in hyperaccumulator and non-hyperaccumulator metallophytes. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 2381–2392. , , , , .
- 1983. Sensitivity of simulated phosphorus uptake to parameters used by a mechanistic mathematical model. Plant and Soil 74: 93–100. , .
- 2002. Effects of arsenic concentrations and forms on arsenic uptake by the hyperaccumulator ladder brake. Journal of Environmental Quality 31: 641–647. , .
- 2002. The potential of Thai indigenous plant species for the phytoremediation of arsenic contaminated land. Environmental Pollution 118: 453–461. , , .
- 2002. Mechanisms of arsenic hyperaccumulation in Pteris vittata. Uptake kinetics, interactions with phosphate, and arsenic speciation. Plant Physiology 130: 1552–1561. , , , , , .
- 2003. XAS speciation of arsenic in a hyper-accumulating fern. Environmental Science and Technology 37: 754–760. , , , .
- 2002. Arsenic speciation and distribution in an arsenic hyperaccumulating plant. Science of the Total Environment 300: 167–177. , , , .
- 2002. Arsenic hyperaccumulation by different fern species. New Phytologist 156: 27–31. , , .
- 2003. The role of phytochelatins in arsenic tolerance in the hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. New Phytologist 159: 403–410. , , , , , .