Leaf hydraulic capacity in ferns, conifers and angiosperms: impacts on photosynthetic maxima
Version of Record online: 18 NOV 2004
Volume 165, Issue 3, pages 839–846, March 2005
How to Cite
Brodribb, T. J., Holbrook, N. M., Zwieniecki, M. A. and Palma, B. (2005), Leaf hydraulic capacity in ferns, conifers and angiosperms: impacts on photosynthetic maxima. New Phytologist, 165: 839–846. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01259.x
- Issue online: 18 NOV 2004
- Version of Record online: 18 NOV 2004
- Received: 4 July 2004 Accepted: 3 September 2004
- 2001. Leaf anatomical characteristics associated with shoot hydraulic conductance, stomatal conductance and stomatal sensitivity to changes of leaf water status in temperate deciduous trees. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 765–774. , , .
- 1996. Determination of the quantum efficiency of photosystem II and non-photochemical quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence in the field. Oecologia 102: 425–432. , , .
- 2000. Stem hydraulic supply is linked to leaf photosynthetic capacity: evidence from New Caledonian and Tasmanian rainforests. Plant, Cell and Environment 23: 1381–1388. , .
- 2003a. Changes in leaf hydraulic conductance during leaf shedding in seasonally dry tropical forest. New Phytologist 158: 295–303. , .
- 2003b. Stomatal closure during leaf dehydration, correlation with other leaf physiological traits. Plant Physiology 132: 2166–2173. , .
- 2004. Diurnal depression of leaf hydraulic conductance in a tropical tree species. Plant Cell and Environment 27: 820–827. , .
- 2001. Vessels in ferns: structural, ecological, and evolutionary significance. American Journal of Botany 88: 1–13. , .
- 1977. Stomatal function in relation to leaf metabolism and environment. Symposium Society of Experimental Biology 31: 471–505. , .
- 2001. Stem watr transport and freeze-thaw xylem embolism in conifers and angiosperms in a Tasmanian treeline heath. Oecologia 127: 314–320. , .
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 2004. Analysis of circular bordered pit function. II. Gymnosperm trachieds with torus margo pit membranes. American Journal of Botany 91: 386–400. , , .
- 2001. Trends in wood density and structure are linked to the prevention of xylem implosion by negative pressure. Oecologia 126: 457–461. , , , , .
- 2001. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis vary linearly with plant hydraulic conductance in ponderosa pine. Plant Cell and Environment 24: 113–121. , , , .
- 1991. Plant water status, hydraulic resistance and capacitance. In: PearcyRW, EhleringerJ, MooneyHA, Rundel, PW eds. Plant Physiological Ecology. New York, USA: Chapman & Hall, 161–183. , , , .
- 2002. Co-ordination of vapour and liquid phase water transport properties in plants. Plant Cell and Environment 25: 265–274. .
- 2001. Are sclerophylls and malacophylls hydraulically different? Biologia Plantarum 44: 239–245. .
- 2003. The ‘hydrology’ of leaves: co-ordination of structure and function in temperate woody species. Plant Cell and Environment 26: 1343–1356. , , , .
- 1994. Fluxes in ecosystem. In: SchulzeE-D, ed. Flux Control in Biological Systems: from Enzymes to Populations and Ecosystems. San Diego, USA: Academic Press, 421–446. , .
- 2004. Analysis of circular bordered pit function. I. Angiosperm vessels with homogeneous pit membranes. American Jounral of Botany 91: 369–385. , .
- 1972. The measurement of the turgor pressure and the water relations of plants by the pressure-bomb technique. Journal of Experimental Botany 23: 267–282. , .
- 1984. Stomatal conductance, transpiration and resistance to water uptake in a Pinus sylvestris spacing experiment. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 14: 692–700. , , .
- 1979. Stomatal conductance correlates with photosynthetic capacity. Nature 282: 424–426. , , .
- 2002. Hydraulic architecture of leaf venation in Laurus nobilis L. Plant Cell and Environment 25: 1445–1450. , , , , .