Changes in the light sensitivity of buried Polygonum aviculare seeds in relation to cold-induced dormancy loss: development of a predictive model
Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2004
Volume 165, Issue 2, pages 445–452, February 2005
How to Cite
Batlla, D. and Benech-Arnold, R. L. (2005), Changes in the light sensitivity of buried Polygonum aviculare seeds in relation to cold-induced dormancy loss: development of a predictive model. New Phytologist, 165: 445–452. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01262.x
- Issue online: 7 DEC 2004
- Version of Record online: 7 DEC 2004
- Received: 1 July 2004 Accepted: 6 September 2004
- 2000. Light signals perceived by crops and weed plants. Field Crops Research 67: 149–160. , .
- 1985. The annual dormancy cycle in buried weed seeds: a continuum. Bioscience 35: 492–498. , .
- 1990. The role of light and alternating temperatures on germination of Polygonum aviculare seeds exhumed on various dates. Weed Research 30: 397–402. , .
- 2003. A quantitative analysis of dormancy loss dynamics in Polygonum aviculare L. seeds. Development of a thermal time model based on changes in seed population thermal parameters. Seed Science Research 13: 55–68. , .
- 2000. Very early detection of canopy presence by seeds through perception of subtle modifications in R : FR signals. Functional Ecology 14: 195–202. , , .
- 2003. A quantitative analysis of seed responses to cycle-doses of fluctuating temperatures in relation to dormancy level. Development of a thermal-time model for Polygonum aviculare L. seeds. Seed Science Research 13: 197–207. , , .
- 1995. Modelling weed seed germination. In: KigelJ, GalliliG, eds. Seed development and germination. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 545–566. , .
- 2000. Environmental control of dormancy in weed seed banks in soil. Field Crops Research 67: 105–122. , , , , .
- 1997. Light environment, phytochrome and germination of Datura stramonium L. seeds. Environmental and Experimental Botany 38: 61–71. , .
- 1985. Seeds. Physiology of Development and Germination. New York, NY, USA: Plenum Press. , .
- 1998. Burial conditions affect the light responses of Datura ferox seeds. Seed Science Research 8: 423–429. , , .
- 2000. Water constraints on the photoinduction of weed seed germination during tillage. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 463–471. , , .
- 1996. Population-based models describing seed dormancy behaviour: implications for experimental design and interpretation. In: LangGA, ed. Plant dormancy: physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 313–339. .
- 1998. Phytochromes and seed germination. Seed Science Research 8: 317–329. , .
- 1998. Modes of action of phytochromes. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 127–138. , , .
- 1985. Biphasic fluence–response curves for light induced germination of Arabidopsis thaliana L. Planta 163: 43–54. , , .
- 1968. Seed dormancy and field emergence in Polygonum aviculare. Journal of Applied Ecology 5: 675–684. .
- 1993. Changing sensitivity to light and nitrate but not to gibberellins regulates seasonal dormancy patterns in Sisymbrium officinale seeds. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 469–479. , .
- 1994. Are seasonal dormancy patterns in Arabidopsis thaliana regulated by changes in seed sensitivity to light, nitrate and gibberellin? Annals of Botany 73: 129–136. , .
- 2000. Modelling seedling emergence. Field Crops Research 67: 123–139. , , , .
- 1984. The effects of seed burial and soil disturbance on emergence and survival of arable weeds in relation to minimal cultivation. Journal of Applied Ecology 21: 629–641. , , .
- 1997. Soil water thresholds for photoinduction of Redroot pigweed germination. Weed Science 45: 414–418. , .
- 1998. The effect of light environment during tillage on the recruitment of various summer annuals. Weed Science 46: 214–216. , .
- 2000. Advances in weed management strategies. Field Crops Research 67: 95–104. , , , .
- 1979. Inhibitory effects of full daylight on the germination of Lactuca sativa. Planta 144: 121–124. , .
- 2003. Predicting weed emergence: a review of approaches and future challenges. Weed Research 43: 1–11. .
- 1995. Effect of light environment during soil disturbance on germination and emergence pattern of weeds. Annals of Applied Biology 127: 561–571. .
- 1985. Photochemistry of 12 kilodalton Avena phytochrome under constant illumination in vitro. Biochemistry 24: 6003–6010. , .
- 1986. The physiology of action. In: KendrickG, KronenbergR, eds. Photomorphogenesis in plants. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Martinus-Nijhoff/Dr W. Junk, 99–114. , .
- 1998. Seed thermal responses in knotgrass Polygonum aviculare and purslane Portulaca oleracea: a functional and quantitative analysis for the construction of predictive models. Weed Science 46: 83–90. , .
- 1988. Some thoughts about the use of predicted values of the state of phytochrome in plant photomorphogenesis research. Plant, Cell & Environment 11: 429–439. .
- 1992. Seed responses to light. In: FennerM, ed. The ecology of regeneration in plant communities. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 259–284. .
- 1991. Induction of extreme light sensitivity in buried weed seeds and its role in the perception of soil cultivations. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 501–508. , , .
- 1994. Photostimulation of seed germination during soil tillage. New Phytologist 126: 145–152. , , .
- 1977. The function of phytochrome in the natural environment – III. Measurement and calculation of phytochrome photoequilibria. Photochemistry and Photobiology 25: 547–550. , .
- 1970. Changes in dormancy and viability of weed seeds in soils. Weed Science 18: 265–269. .
- 1972. Phytochrome controlled changes in dormancy and germination of buried weed seeds. Weed Science 37: 335–338. .
- 1987. Environmental and chemical manipulation of weed seed dormancy. Review of Weed Science 3: 135–154. .
- 1987. Water content and the conversion of phytochrome regulation of lettuce dormancy. Plant Physiology 84: 887–890. , , .