The use of conventional and quantitative real-time PCR assays for Polymyxa graminis to examine host plant resistance, inoculum levels and intraspecific variation
Article first published online: 20 DEC 2004
Volume 165, Issue 3, pages 875–885, March 2005
How to Cite
Ward, E., Kanyuka, K., Motteram, J., Kornyukhin, D. and Adams, M. J. (2005), The use of conventional and quantitative real-time PCR assays for Polymyxa graminis to examine host plant resistance, inoculum levels and intraspecific variation. New Phytologist, 165: 875–885. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01291.x
- Issue published online: 20 DEC 2004
- Article first published online: 20 DEC 2004
- Received: 30 July 2004 Accepted: 4 October 2004
- 2002. Fungi. In: PlumbRT, ed Plant Virus Vector Interactions. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 47–64. .
- 1994. Infection of cereals and grasses by isolates of Polymyxa graminis (Plasmodiophorales). Annals of Applied Biology 125: 53–60. , .
- 1986. The susceptibility of barley cultivars to barley yellow mosaic virus (BaYMV) and its fungal vector, Polymyxa graminis. Annals of Applied Biology 109: 561–572. , , .
- Anonymous. 2001. Wisconsin Package, Version 10.3.
- 2004. Actin and ubiquitin protein sequences support a cercozoan/foraminiferan ancestry for the plasmodiophorid plant pathogens. Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology 51: 113–118. , .
- 1989. Inoculum potential and host range of Polymyxa graminis. EPPO Bulletin 19: 541–546. , , .
- 1995. Current status of the Plasmodiophorids. Critical Reviews in Microbiology 21: 263–275. .
- 2001. A phylogenetic analysis of the SSU rRNA from members of the Plasmodiophorida and Phagomyxida. Protist 152: 43–51. , , , .
- 1994. Host specificity and nomenclature of Olpidium bornovanus (=Olpidium radicale) and comparisons to Olpidium brassicae. Canadian Journal of Botany 72: 1136–1143. , .
- 2000. Serological methods for detection of Polymyxa graminis, an obligate root parasite and vector of plant viruses. Phytopathology 90: 537–545. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Straminipilous fungi: Systematics of the Peronosporomycetes including accounts of the marine straminipilous protists, the plasmodiophorids and similar organisms. Dordrecht, Germany: Kluwer Academic Publishers. .
- 2004. Soilborne wheat mosaic virus movement protein and RNA and wheat spindle streak mosaic virus coat protein accumulate inside resting spores of their vector Polymyxa graminis. Molecular Plant Microbe Interactions 17: 739–748. , , , , .
- 1999. Rapid detection and diagnosis of Septoria tritici epidemics in wheat using a polymerase chain reaction PicoGreen assay. Journal of Applied Microbiology 86: 701–708. , , , .
- 2004. Gaeumannomyces graminis, the take-all fungus and its relatives. Molecular Plant Pathology 5: 235–252. , .
- 1986. Preserving and staining nematodes in plant tissues. In: SoutheyJF, ed Laboratory Methods for Work with Plant and Soil Nematodes. London, UK: MAFF, 81–85. .
- 2004. A controlled environment test for resistance to Soil-borne cereal mosaic virus (SBCMV) and its use to determine the mode of inheritance of resistance in wheat cv. Cadenza and for screening Triticum monococcum genotypes for sources of SBCMV resistance. Plant Pathology 53: 154–160. , , , , .
- 2003. Polymyxa graminis and the cereal viruses it transmits: a research challenge. Molecular Plant Pathology 4: 393–406. , , .
- 2003a. Development of a recombinant antibody ELISA test for the detection of Polymyxa betae and its use in resistance screening. Plant Pathology 52: 673–680. , , , , , .
- 2003b. Real-time analysis of Polymyxa betae GST expression in infected sugar beet. Molecular Plant Pathology 4: 171–176. , , , , .
- 1939. Studies on Polymyxa graminis n. gen. n.sp., a plasmodiophoraceous root parasite of wheat. Canadian Journal of Research C Botanical Sciences 17: 38–51.
- 1990. Isolation of DNA from fungal mycelia and single spores. In: InnisMA, GelfandDH, SninskyJJ, WhiteTJ, eds PCR Protocols. A Guide to Methods and Applications. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 282–287. , .
- 2002. Phylogenetic analysis of Polymyxa species based on nuclear 5.8S and internal transcribed spacers ribosomal DNA sequences. Mycological Research 106: 138–147. , , .
- 1998. Postinfection development of Polymyxa graminis in roots of Triticum aestivum. Mycologia 90: 869–882. , , , .
- 2003. Molecular diagnostics for fungal plant pathogens. Pest Management Science 59: 129–142. , , ,
- 1999. Emergence and partial characterization of rice stripe necrosis virus and its fungus vector in South America. European Journal of Plant Pathology 105: 643–650. , , , , , .
- 2000. Specific polyclonal antibodies for the obligate plant parasite Polymyxa– a targeted recombinant DNA approach. Plant Pathology 49: 276–287. , , , .
- 1996. Identification of a potential source of complete resistance to soilborne wheat mosaic virus in a wheat-Thinopyrum intermedium addition line. Journal of Phytopathology 144: 135–138. , , , .
- 2002. Subtractive cloning of DNA from Polymyxa graminis– an obligate parasitic plasmodiophorid. Journal of Phytopathology 150: 564–568. , , .
- 1998. Analysis of ribosomal DNA sequences of Polymyxa species and related fungi and the development of genus- and species-specific PCR primers. Mycological Research 102: 965–974. , .
- 1994. Characterization of Polymyxa species by restriction analysis of PCR-amplified ribosomal DNA. Plant Pathology 43: 872–877. , , , , .
- 2004. Plant pathogen diagnostics: immunological and nucleic-acid based approaches. Annals of Applied Biology 145: 1–16. , , , .
- 1990. Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: InnisMA, GelfandDH, SninskyJJ, WhiteTJ, eds PCR Protocols. A Guide to Methods and Applications. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 315–322. , , , .
- 2000. Economical and rapid method for extracting cotton genomic DNA. Journal of Cotton Science 4: 193–201. , .