Contrasting below-ground views of an ectomycorrhizal fungal community
Article first published online: 12 JAN 2005
Volume 166, Issue 1, pages 251–262, April 2005
How to Cite
Koide, R. T., Xu, B. and Sharda, J. (2005), Contrasting below-ground views of an ectomycorrhizal fungal community. New Phytologist, 166: 251–262. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01313.x
- Issue published online: 12 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 12 JAN 2005
- Received: 27 August 2004 Accepted: 5 November 2004
- 1986. The role of proteins in the nitrogen nutrition of ectomycorrhizal plants. I. Utilization of peptides and proteins by ectomycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 103: 481–493. , .
- 2001. Exploration types of ectomycorrhizae. Mycorrhiza 11: 107–114. .
- 1994. Nitrogen amendments reduce the growth of extramatrical ectomycorrhizal mycelium. Mycorrhiza 5: 7–15. .
- 2002. Investigation of the influence of prescribed burning on ITS profiles of ectomycorrhizal and other soil fungi at three Australian sclerophyll forest sites. Mycological Research 106: 532–540. , .
- 1989. Pure culture response of ectomycorrhizal fungi to imposed water stress. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 29–39. , , .
- 2000. estimateS: Statistical Estimation of Species Richness and Shared Species from Samples, version 6.0b1, User's Guide and application. http://viceroy.eeb.uconn.edu/estimates .
- 2001. Community ecology of ectomycorrhizal fungi: an advancing interdisciplinary field. New Phytologist 150: 555–562. .
- 1997. Species diversity and distribution of biomass above and below ground among ectomycorrhizal fungi in an old-growth Norway spruce forest in south Sweden. Canadian Journal of Botany 75: 1323–1335. , , .
- 1984. Ectomycorrhizal associations in jack pine stands in northeastern Alberta. Canadian Journal of Botany 62: 932–939. .
- 1998. Tissue density and growth response of ectomycorrhizal fungi to nitrogen source and concentration. Mycorrhiza 8: 145–148. , , .
- 2002. Vertical niche differentiation of ectomycorrhizal hyphae in soil as shown by T-RFLP analysis. New Phytologist 156: 527–535. , , .
- 1980. Structure and function of mycorrhizal rhizomorphs with special reference to their role in water transport. Nature 287: 834–846. , , .
- 1993. ITS primers with enhanced specificity for basidiomycetes – application to the identification of mycorrhizae and rusts. Molecular Ecology 2: 113–118. , .
- 1996. Community structure of ectomycorrhizal fungi in a Pinus muricata forest: above- and below-ground views. Canadian Journal of Botany 74: 1572–1583. , .
- 1998. Ectomycorrhizal fungal community structure of pinyon pines growing in two environmental extremes. Ecology 79: 1562–1572. , , , .
- 2001. EcoSim: Null Models Software for Ecology. Version 7.44. Burlington, VT, USA: Acquired Intelligence Inc. & Kesey-Bear. http://www.garyentsminger.com/ecosim/index.htm , .
- 2000. Below-ground ectomycorrhizal community structure in a recently burned bishop pine forest. Journal of Ecology 88: 1051–1062. , , .
- 2002. Using radiocarbon to determine the mycorrhizal status of fungi. New Phytologist 156: 129–136. , , , .
- 2001. The molecular revolution in ectomycorrhizal ecology: peeking into the black-box. Molecular Ecology 10: 1855–1871. , .
- 1971. The nonconcept of species diversity: a critique and alternative parameters. Ecology 52: 577–585. .
- 1999a. Continuity of ectomycorrhizal fungi in self-regenerating boreal Pinus sylvestris forests studied by comparing mycobiont diversity on seedlings and mature trees. New Phytologist 142: 151–162. , , , , .
- 1999b. Ectomycorrhizal fungal communities in late-successional Swedish boreal forests and their composition following wildfire. Molecular Ecology 8: 205–215. , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of N-free fertilization on ectomycorrhiza community structure in Norway spruce stands in southern Sweden. Plant and Soil 181: 295–305. , .
- 1997. Effects of ammonium sulphate on the community structure and biomass of ectomycorrhizal fungi in a Norway spruce stand in southwestern Sweden. Canadian Journal of Botany 75: 1628–1642. , .
- 1996. Utilization of inorganic and organic nitrogen sources by high-subalpine ectomycorrhizal fungi of Pinus cembra in pure culture. Mycological Research 100: 989–998. .
- 2003. Ectomycorrhizas and retarded decomposition in a Pinus resinosa plantation. New Phytologist 158: 401–407. , .
- 1996. Relief of amplification inhibition in PCR with bovine serum albumin or T4 gene 32 protein. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 62: 1102–1106. .
- 1999. Ecological Methodology. Menlo Park, CA, USA: Addison-Wesley Longman. .
- 2003. Molecular identification of ectomycorrhizal mycelium in soil horizons. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 327–333. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Diversity of an ectomycorrhizal fungal community studied by a root tip and total soil DNA approach. Mycorrhiza. (In press). , , , .
- 1988. Ecological Diversity and its Measurement. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 1999. Effects of repeated harvesting of forest residues on the ectomycorrhizal community in a Swedish spruce forest. New Phytologist 142: 577–585. , , .
- 1991. Mycorrhizas in ecosystems. Experientia 47: 376–391. .
- 1994. Contribution of ectomycorrhizae to the potential nutrient-absorbing surface area of pine. New Phytologist 128: 639–644. , , .
- 1995. Optimization and troubleshooting in PCR. PCR Methods and Applications 4: S185–S194. .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal Symbiosis, 2nd edn. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 1999. Early effects of prescribed fire on the structure of the ectomycorrhizal fungus community in a Sierra Nevada ponderosa pine forest. Mycological Research 103: 1353–1359. , , .
- 2002. Fungal diversity in ectomycorrhizal communities: sampling effort and species detection. Plant and Soil 244: 19–28. .
- 1992. Sporocarp production by basidiomycetes with emphasis on forest ecosystems. In: CarrollGC, WicklowDT, eds. The Fungal Community, its Organization and Role in the Ecosystem. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 563–581. , , , .
- 2000. Purification and characterization of a common soil component which inhibits the polymerase chain reaction. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 46: 633–642. , .