Variability of Cenococcum colonization and its ecophysiological significance for young conifers at alpine–treeline
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2005
Volume 165, Issue 3, pages 867–873, March 2005
How to Cite
Hasselquist, N., Germino, M. J., McGonigle, T. and Smith, W. K. (2005), Variability of Cenococcum colonization and its ecophysiological significance for young conifers at alpine–treeline. New Phytologist, 165: 867–873. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01275.x
- Issue online: 25 JAN 2005
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2005
- Received: 26 June 2004 Accepted: 13 September 2004
- 2002. Color Atlas of Mycorrhizae. 1st-11th Del. Munich, Germany: Einhorn-Verlag, Schwabish Gmund. .
- 1994. The role of photoinhibition during tree seedling establishment at low temperatures. In: BakerNR, BoyerJR, eds. Photoinhibition of Photosynthesis, from Molecular Mechanisms to the Field. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Puiblishers, 365–377. .
- 1990. Growth and ectomycorrhiza formation of Douglas-fir seedlings grown in soils collected at different distances from pioneering hardwoods in southwest Oregon clear-cuts. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 712–721. , .
- 1998. Competition and facilitation on elevational gradients in subalpine forests of the northern Rocky Mountains, USA. Oikos 82: 561–573. .
- 1982. First-year survival of Tsuga heterophylla without mycorrhizae and subsequent ectomycorrhizal development on decaying logs and mineral soil. Canadian Journal of Botany 60: 1601–1605. , , .
- 1989. Pure culture response of ectomycorrhizal fungi to imposed water stress. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 29–39. , , .
- 1990. Root hydraulic conductivity and xylem sap levels of zeatin riboside and abscisic acid in ectomycorrhizal Douglas-fir seedings. New Phytologist 115: 275–284. , , .
- 1991. Photosynthesis, water relations, and mortality in Abies lasiocarpa seedlings during natural establishment. Tree Physiology 8: 37–46. , .
- 2002. Influences of established trees on mycorrhizas, nutrition, and growth of Quercus rubra seedlings. Ecological Monographs 72: 505–521. , , .
- 1980. Structure and function of mycorrhizal rhizomorphs with special reference to their role in water transport. Nature 287: 284–286. , , .
- 1996. Mycorrhizal diversity in arctic and alpine tundra: an open question. New Phytologist 133: 147–157. , .
- 1999. Sky exposure, crown architecture, and low-temperature photoinhibition in conifer seedlings at alpine treeline. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 407–415. , .
- 2000. Differences in microsite, plant form, and low-temperature photoinhibition in alpine plants. Artic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research 32: 388–396. , .
- 2002. Conifer seedling distribution and survival in an alpine-treeline ecotone. Plant Ecology 162: 157–168. , , .
- 1996. A manual of concise descriptions of North American ectomycorrhizae. Including Microscopic and Molecular Characterization. Victoria, Canada: Mycologue Publications. , , , , eds.
- 1999. Ectomycorrhizal colonization of Picea engelmannii×Picea glauca seedlings planted across cut blocks of different sizes. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 29: 1856–1870. , , , .
- 1995. Sample preparation and decomposition. In: BrooksRR, DunnCE, HallGEM, eds Biological Systems in Mineral Exploration and Processing, Chap 21. New York, NY, USA: Ellis Horwood, 427–442. .
- 1980. Clearcut harvesting and ectomycorrhizae: survival of activity on residual roots and influence of bordering forest stand in western Montana. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 10: 300–303. , , .
- 1980. Fungal associations of roots of dominant and sub-dominant plants in high-alpine vegetation systems with special reference to mycorrhiza. Oecologia 45: 57–62. , .
- 1992. The influence of tree islands and microtopography on pedoecological conditions in the forest alpine tundra ecotone on Niwot Ridge, Colorado Front Range, USA. Arctic and Alpine Research 24: 216–228. , .
- 2001. The molecular revolution in ectomycorrhizal ecology: peeking into the black-box. Molecular Ecology 10: 1855–1871. , .
- 2004. Abiotic factors limiting photosynthesis in Abies lasiocarpa and Picea engelmannii seedlings below and above alpine timberline. Tree Physiology 24: 377–386. , , .
- 1995. Microclimate factors influencing the frequency and duration of growth season frost for subalpine plants. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology 77: 17–30. , .
- 2001. Community structure of ectomycorrhizal fungi across an alpine/subalpine ecotone. Ecography 24: 181–188. , .
- 1981. Water relations and succession in subalpine conifers in southeastern Wyoming. Botanical Gazette 142: 502–511. , .
- 1998. Alpine Plant Life. Berlin, Germany: Springer. .
- 1998. Ectomycorrhizal community structure across forest openings on naturally regenerated western hemlock seedlings. Canadian Journal of Botany 76: 189–196. , .
- 1973. The growth of selected mycorrhizal fungi in response to induced water stress. Canadian Journal of Botany 70: 1579–1588. , .
- 1998. Mycorrhization, physiognomy, and first-year survivability of conifer seedlings following natural fire in Grand Teton National Park. Canadian Journal of Botany 28: 115–122. , , , .
- 2000. Influence of the ectomycorrhizas formed by Tuber melanosporum Vitt. on hydraulic conductance and water relations of Quercus ilex L. seedlings. Annual Forest Science 57: 305–312. , , , .
- 1988. Mycorrhizal links between plants: their functioning and ecological significance. Advances in Ecological Research 18: 243–270. .
- 1983. The role of ectomycorrhizas in drought tolerance of Douglas-fir seedlings. New Phytologist 95: 83–95. , , .
- 1994. Root-gap dynamics in a lodgepole pine forest: ectomycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal fine root activity after experimental gap formation. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 24: 1531–1538. , , .
- 1996. Effects of mobile tree islands on soil carbon storage in tundra ecosystems. Ecology 77: 2563–2567. , .
- 1982b. Survival of mycorrhiza formed by Cenococcum geophilum Fr. in dry soils. New Phytologist 92: 513–517. .
- 1984. The structure and function of the vegetative mycelium of mycorrhizal roots. In: JenningsDH, RaynerDM, eds. The Ecology and Physiology of the Fungal Mycelium . Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 215–240. .
- 1991. Mycorrhiza in ecosystems. Experientia 47: 376–391. .
- 1981. Observations on the mycorrhizal status of some alpine plant communities. New Phytologist 88: 341–352. , .
- 1999. The magnitude and control of carbon transfer between plants linked by a common mycorrhizal network. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 9–13. , .
- 1997b. Net transfer of carbon between ectomycorrhizal tree species in the field. Nature 388: 579–582. , , , , , .
- 1997a. Effects of soil trenching on occurrence of ectomycorrhiza on Pseudostuga menziessi grown in mature forest of Betula papyrifera and Psuedostuga menziessi. New Phytologist 136: 327–340. , , , .
- 1979. Plant transpiration at high elevations: theory, field measurements, and comparisons with desert plants. Oecologia 41: 109–122. , .
- 2003. A more unified approach for interpreting elevational limits of upper timberlines. Tree Physiology 23: 1101–1112. , , , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal Symbiosis, 2nd edn. London, UK: Academic Press. , .
- 2000. Soil microclimate and chemistry of spruce-fir tree islands in northern Utah. Soil Science Society of America Journal 64: 1515–1525. , , .
- 1959. The effect of available soil moisture on the mycorrhizal association of Virginia pine. Forest Science 5: 267–268. , .
- 1999. Biostatistical Analysis. Princeton, New Jersey, USA: Princeton Hall. .