New understanding on phloem physiology and possible consequences for modelling long-distance carbon transport
Article first published online: 17 JAN 2005
Volume 166, Issue 3, pages 771–779, June 2005
How to Cite
Minchin, P. E. H. and Lacointe, A. (2005), New understanding on phloem physiology and possible consequences for modelling long-distance carbon transport. New Phytologist, 166: 771–779. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01323.x
- Issue published online: 17 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 17 JAN 2005
- Received: 19 November 2004 Accepted: 19 November 2004
- 2004. Using L-systems for modelling the architecture and physiology of growing trees: the L-PEACH model. In: GodinC, ed. Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Functional–Structural Plant Models, June 2004 Montpellier, France. Publication UMR AMAP/2004. Montpellier, France: CIRAD, 220–225. , , .
- 2003. Symplastic continuity between companion cells and the translocation stream: long-distance transport is controlled by retention and retrieval mechanisms in the phloem. Plant Physiology 113: 1518–1528. , , .
- 2002. Source–sink partitioning. Do we need Münch? Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1919–1928. , .
- 1996. Interaction between sieve element and companion cell and the consequence for photoassimilate distribution. Two structure hardware frames with associated physiological software packages in dicotyledons. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1129–1140. .
- 2003. The phloem, a miracle of ingenuity. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 125–149. .
- 2000. Modelling of reserve carbohydrate dynamics, regrowth and nodulation in a N2-fixing tree managed by periodic prunings. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1025–1040. , , , .
- 2000. Mass Flow Dyn I: a carbon transport and partitioning model for root system architecture. Annals of Botany 8: 869–886. , , , , .
- 1981. Metabolic priorities with respect to growth and mineral uptake in roots of Hordeum, Triticum and Lycopersicon. American Journal of Botany 68: 10–16. , .
- 2002. Generalized Münch coupling between sugar and water fluxes for modelling carbon allocation as affected by water status. Journal of Theoretical Biology 21: 481–498. , , .
- 1999. Developmental and environmental control of dry-matter partitioning in peach. Hortscience 34: 1037–1040. .
- 1995. Quantifying sink and source limitations on dry matter partitioning to fruit growth in peach trees. Physiologia Plantarum 95: 437–443. , .
- 1997. A transport model for tree ring width. Silva Fennica 31: 239–250. , .
- 1993. A root–shoot partitioning model based on carbon–nitrogen–water interactions and Münch phloem flow. Functional Ecology 7: 356–368. .
- 2000. The control of carbon acquisition by roots. New Phytologist 147: 43–53. , .
- 1991. Carbon partitioning in split root systems of barley: relation to metabolism. Journal of Experimental Botany 42: 1261–1269. , .
- 1990. Control and the rate of respiration in roots: compartmentation, demand and supply of substrate. In: ErnesM, ed. Compartmentation of Non-Photosynthetic Metabolism. SEB Seminar Series. , .
- 1997. Understanding the Control of Metabolism. London: Portland Press. .
- 1981. Photosynthesis, carbon partitioning and yield. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 32: 485–509. , .
- 2004a. Solute is imported to elongating root cells of barley as a pressure driven-flow of solution. Functional Plant Biology 31: 391–397. , , , , .
- 2004b. Direct measurements of sieve element hydrostatic pressure reveal strong regulation of sieve element hydrostatic pressure after pathway blockage. Functional Plant Biology 31: 987–993. , , .
- 1994. PEACH: a simulation model of reproductive and vegetative growth in peach trees. Tree Physiology 14: 329–345. , .
- 1985. Cold inhibited phloem translocation in sugar beet. II. Characterization and localization of the slow-cooling response. Journal of Experimental Botany 36: 745–755. , .
- 1996. Re-interpretation of an experiment on the role of assimilate transport resistance in partitioning in tomato. Annals of Botany 78: 467–470. .
- 1973. What controls flux. Symposium Society of Experimental Biology 32: 65–104. , .
- 2000. Carbon allocation among tree organs: a review of basic processes and representation in functional–structural tree models. Annals of Forest Science 57: 521–533. .
- 2003. Phloem loading and unloading of sugars and amino acids. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 37–56. , , , , .
- 1979. A relay mechanism for phloem transport. Annals of Botany 44: 141–145. .
- 1990. Xylem, phloem and transpiration flows in developing apple fruits. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 645–651. .
- 2001. Carbon-based models of individual tree growth: a critical appraisal. Annals of Forest Science 58: 469–506. , , , .
- 1996. Hierarchical approach to forest ecosystem simulation. Ecological Modelling 86: 37–50. , , .
- 1998. Modelling biomass production and yield of horticultural crops: a review. Scientia Horticulturae 74: 83–111. , , .
- 1987. Measurement of the unloading and reloading rates within the stem of bean. Journal of Experimental Botany 38: 211–220. , .
- 1996. What determines carbon partitioning between competing sinks? Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1293–1296. , .
- 2003. Using the short-lived isotope 11C in mechanistic studies of photosynthate transport. Functional Plant Biology 30: 831–841. , .
- 1983. Dynamics of cold induced inhibition of phloem transport. Journal of Experimental Botany 34: 156–162. , , .
- 1993. A simple mechanistic model of phloem transport which explains sink priority. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 947–955. , , .
- 1997. Carbon partitioning in apple trees: short and long term adaptation of fruits to change in available photosynthate. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1401–1406. , , , , .
- 2004. Modelling tree growth as a competition between sinks using reaction-transport approach in branched architecture. In: GodinC, ed. Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Functional–Structural Plant Models, June 2004 Montpellier, France. Publication UMR AMAP/2004. Montpellier, France: CIRAD, 216–219. , , .
- 2000. The great escape: phloem transport and unloading of macromolecules. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 51: 323–347. , .
- 2001. Simultaneous measurement of water flow velocity and solute transport in xylem and phloem of adult plants of Ricinus communis over a daily time course by nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometry. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 491–503. , , , , .
- 1993. Leaf export and partitioning changes induced by short-term inhibition of phloem transport. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 1491–1496. , , .
- 1990. The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 1993. Experimental application of top-down control analysis to metabolic system. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 18: 26–30. .
- 1991. A general biogeochemical model describing the responses of the C and N cycles in terrestrial ecosystems to changes to CO2 and climate, and N deposition. Tree Physiology 9: 101–126. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Calculation of translocation coefficients from phloem anatomy for use in crop models. Annals of Botany 76: 263–269. , , , , .
- 2000. Source metabolism dominates the control of source to sink carbon flux in tuberizing potato plants throughout the diurnal cycle and under a range of environmental conditions. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 523–529. , .
- 1998. The control of source to sink carbon flux during tuber development in potatoes. Plant Journal 15: 697–706. , , , , .
- 2003. Application of a single-solute non-steady-state phloem model to the study of long-distance assimilate transport. Journal of Theoretical Biology 220: 419–455. , .
- 1972. A balanced quantitative model of root : shoot ratios in vegetative plants. Annals of Botany 36: 431–444. .
- 1991. A transport-resistance model of forest growth and partitioning. Annals of Botany 68: 211–226. .
- 1998. Modelling shoot : root relations: the only way forward? Annals of Botany 81: 165–171. .
- 1999. Modelling stem height and diameter growth in plants. Annals of Botany 84: 195–205. .
- 2000. Plant and Crop Modelling. Caldwell, NJ, USA: Blackburn Press. , .
- 1996. Mechanism of long and short distance transport from sources to sinks. In: ZanskiE, SchafferAA, eds. Photoassimilate Distribution in Plants and Crops: Source and Sink Relations. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker. , .
- 1998. The absence of phloem loading in willow leaves. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 12055–12060. , .
- 1984. A dynamic model for plant growth: validation study under changing temperatures. Annals of Botany 53: 45–62. , .
- 1978. A dynamic model for plant growth: a simulation of dry matter accumulation for tobacco. Photosynthetica 12: 121–136. , ,
- 1990. The control of carbon partitioning in plants. New Phytologist 116: 341–381. .
- 1975. Source–sink relations and the partition of assimilates in the plant. In: Cooper, JP, ed. Photosynthesis and Productivity in Different Environments . Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 481–499. , .
- 1972. Control of crop processes. In: ReesAR, CockshullKE, HandDW, HurdRG, eds. Crop Processes in Controlled Environments. London: Academic Press, 7–30. .
- 1989. Interactions between vegetative and reproductive growth. In: WrightCJ, ed. Manipulation of Fruiting. London: Butterworths. .
- 1980. Direct measurement of sieve tube turgor pressure using severed aphid stylets. Plant Physiology 65: 1133–1135. , .
- 1997. Metabolic inhibitors induce symplastic movement of solutes from the transport phloem of Arabidopsis roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1807–1814. , .
- 2004. A systemic small RNA signaling system in plants. Plant Cell 16: 1979–2000. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Data-based mechanistic modelling, generalised sensitivity and dominant mode analysis. Computer Physics Communications 117: 113–129. .