Variation in the degree of coupling between δ13C of phloem sap and ecosystem respiration in two mature Nothofagus forests
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2005
Volume 166, Issue 2, pages 497–512, May 2005
How to Cite
Barbour, M. M., Hunt, J. E., Dungan, R. J., Turnbull, M. H., Brailsford, G. W., Farquhar, G. D. and Whitehead, D. (2005), Variation in the degree of coupling between δ13C of phloem sap and ecosystem respiration in two mature Nothofagus forests. New Phytologist, 166: 497–512. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01329.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2005
- Received: 15 September 2004 Accepted: 23 November 2004
- 1981. Statistical Methods in Biology, 2nd edn. New York, USA: John Wiley and Sons. .
- 2000. Global carbon sinks and their variability inferred from atmospheric O2 and δ13C. Science 287: 2467–2470. , , , , , , .
- 1982. Carbon uptake and allocation by Nothofagus solandri var. cliffortioides (Hook. f.) Poole and Pinus contorta Douglas ex. Loudon ssp. contorta at montane and subalpine altitudes. In: WaringRH, ed. Carbon Uptake and Allocation in Subalpine Ecosystems as a Key to Management. Corvallis, OR, USA: Forest Research Laboratory, Oregon State University, 9–21. , .
- 2002. 13C content of ecosystem respiration is linked to precipitation and vapor pressure deficit. Oecologia 131: 113–124. , , , , .
- 2003a. Critical evaluation of micrometeorological methods for measuring ecosystem–atmosphere isotopic exchange of CO2. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 116: 159–179. , , .
- 2003b. Tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy for ecosystem–atmosphere CO2 isotopic exchange studies. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 118: 1–19. , , , .
- 2000. Photosynthetic fractionation of carbon isotopes. In: LeegoodRC, SharkeyTC, Von CaemmererS, eds. Advances in Photosynthesis – Photosynthesis: Physiology and Metabolism, Vol. 9. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer, 399–434. , .
- 1988. Correlation between the carbon isotope discrimination in leaf starch and sugars of C3 plants and the ratio of intercellular and atmospheric partial pressures of carbon dioxide. Plant Physiology 88: 1418–1424. , , , , .
- 1998. Carbon isotope discrimination in structural and non-structural carbohydrates in relation to productivity and adaptation to unfavourable conditions. In: GriffithH, ed. Stable Isotopes, Integration of Biology, Ecological and Geochemical Processes. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific, 133–146. , , , , .
- 1998. Carbon isotope discrimination by terrestrial ecosystems. In: GriffithH, ed. Stable Isotopes, Integration of Biology, Ecological and Geochemical Processes. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific, 203–222. , , , .
- 2000. Carbon metabolism of the terrestrial biosphere: a multitechnique approach for improved understanding. Ecosystems 3: 115–130. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Environmental and physiological controls over the oxygen and carbon isotope composition of the Tasmanian blue gum, Eucalyptus globulus. Tree Physiology. (In press.) , , .
- 2003. Infestation of sooty beech scale insect (Ultracoelostoma spp.): determinants and relationship with host tree growth. MSc thesis, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand. .
- 1995. A large Northern Hemisphere terrestrial CO2 sink indicated by the 13C/12C ratio of atmospheric CO2. Science 269: 1089–1102. , , , , .
- 2003. Carbon isotope composition of current-year shoots from Fagus sylvatica in relation to growth, respiration and use of reserves. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 207–219. , .
- 2003. Effect of host-tree and environmental variables on honeydew production by scale insects (Ultracoelostoma sp.) in a high elevation Nothofagus solandri forest. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 27: 169–177. , .
- 1999. δ13C of CO2 respired in the dark in relation to δ13C of leaf carbohydrates in Phaseolus vulgaris L. under progressive drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 515–523. , , , , .
- 2001. Natural abundance of 13C in CO2 respired from forest soils reveals speed of link between tree photosynthesis and root respiration. Oecologia 127: 305–308. , .
- 1980. A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78–90. , , .
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 503–537. , , .
- 2003. Carbon isotopic fractionation during decomposition of plant materials of different quality. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: 1075. , , .
- 2000. A new gas chromatograph–isotope ratio mass spectrometry technique for high-precision, N2O-free analysis of δ13C and δ18O in atmospheric CO2 from small air samples. Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres 105: 6709–6718. , , , .
- 2002. Age-related variations in δ13C of ecosystem respiration across a coniferous forest chronosequence in the Pacific Northwest. Tree Physiology 22: 159–167. , .
- 1996. Carbon isotope discrimination during photosynthesis and the isotope ratio of respired CO2 in boreal forest ecosystems. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 10: 629–640. , , , , .
- 2004. Assessing the use of δ13C natural abundance in separation of root and microbial respiration in a Danish beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) forest. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 18: 897–902. , .
- 2004. Stable isotope composition of organic compounds transported in the phloem of European beech – evaluation of different methods of phloem sap collection and assessment of gradients in carbon isotope composition during leaf-to-stem transport. Plant Biology 6: 1–10. , , .
- 2001. δ13C of respired CO2 in the dark in relation to δ13C of leaf metabolites: comparison between Nicotiana sylvestris and Helianthus annuus under drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 505–515. , , , , , .
- 1989. Carbohydrate analysis of beech honeydew. New Zealand Journal of Zoology 16: 283–288. , .
- 2004. Measuring field-scale isotopic CO2 fluxes with tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy and micrometeorological techniques. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 124: 15–29. , , , , .
- 1998. Estimating photosynthesis and concurrent export rates in C3 and C4 species at ambient and elevated CO2. Plant Physiology. 117: 207–215. , , .
- 2004. Oak forest carbon and water simulations: model intercomparisons and evaluations against independent data. Ecological Monographs 73: 443–489. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Ecophysiology of 13C and 15N isotopic fractionation in forest fungi and the roots of the saprotrophic–mycorrhizal divide. Oecologia 128: 480–487. , .
- 2004. Intramolecular, compound-specific, and bulk carbon isotope patterns in C3 and C4 plants: a review and synthesis. New Phytologist 161: 371–385. , .
- 2001. Large-scale forest girdling shows that current photosynthesis drives soil respiration. Nature 411: 789–792. , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Canopy organisation and foliage photosynthetic capacity in a broad-leaved evergreen montane forest. Functional Ecology 3: 53–62. .
- 1994. 14C allocation in tree–soil systems. Tree Physiology 14: 1163–1176. , , .
- 2002. The relationship between the stable carbon isotope composition of needle bulk material, starch, and tree rings in Picea abies. Oecologia 131: 325–332. , , , .
- 1958. The concentration and isotopic abundances of atmospheric carbon dioxide in rural areas. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 13: 322–334. .
- 1961. The concentration and isotopic abundances of carbon dioxide in rural and marine air. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 24: 277–298. .
- 2003. Carbon and oxygen isotope composition of organic compounds in the phloem sap provides a short-term measure for stomatal conductance of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1157–1168. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Limitations to carbon mineralization in litter and mineral soil of young and old ponderosa pine forests. Forest Ecology and Management 191: 201–213. , , , , .
- 2004. Rapid and transient response of soil respiration to rain. Global Change Biology 10: 1017–1026. , , , , .
- 1995. A critical appraisal of a combined stomatal–photosynthesis model for C3 plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 339–357. .
- 1997. Carbon isotopic fractionation does not occur during dark respiration in C3 and C4 plants. Plant Physiology 114: 391–394. , .
- 2004a. Response of the carbon isotopic content of ecosystem, leaf, and soil respiration to meteorological and physiological driving factors in a Pinus ponderosa ecosystem. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 18: 1013. , , , , , , .
- 2004b. Associations between carbon isotope ratios of ecosystem respiration, water availability and canopy conductance. Global Change Biology 10: 1767–1784. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Combined effects of atmospheric CO2 and N availability on the below-ground carbon and nitrogen dynamics of aspen mesocosms. Oecologia 124: 432–445. , , , .
- 1994. Modeling carbon export out of mature peach leaves. Plant Physiology 106: 591–600. , , .
- 1991. Margarodidae (Insecta: Hemiptera). Fauna of New Zealand 21. Auckland, New Zealand: DSIR. .
- 2003. The application and interpretation of Keeling plots in terrestrial carbon cycle research. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: 1022. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. δ13C analysis of phloem sap carbon: novel means of evaluating seasonal water stress and interpreting carbon isotope signatures of foliage and trunk wood of Eucalyptus globulus. Oecologia 117: 301–311. , .
- 2002. Carbon isotope discrimination of arctic and boreal biomes inferred from remote atmospheric measurements and a biosphere–atmosphere model. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 16: 1028. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Temperature and net carbon availability both determine seed production in a temperate tree species. Ecology. (In press.) , , , , , .
- 2004. Comparisons of δ13C of photosynthetic products and ecosystem respiratory CO2 and their responses to seasonal climate variability. Oecologia 140: 340–351. , , , , , .
- 1998. Carbon isotope effects on key reactions in plant metabolism and 13C-patterns in natural compounds. In: GriffithH, ed. Stable Isotopes, Integration of Biology, Ecological and Geochemical Processes. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific, 13–25. , .
- 2003. Metabolic origin of carbon isotope composition of leaf dark-respired CO2 in French bean. Plant Physiology 131: 237–244. , , , , , .
- 2004. Theoretical considerations about carbon isotope distribution in glucose of C3 plants. Functional Plant Biology 31: 857–877. , , , .
- 2004. Scaling phloem transport: information transmission. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 509–519. , .
- 1997. Seasonal changes in stable carbon isotope ratios within annual rings of Pinus radiata reflect environmental regulation of growth processes. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 24: 57–68. , , , .
- 1984. The New Zealand Beeches: Ecology, Utilization and Management. Christchurch, New Zealand: New Zealand Forest Service. .
- 2002. Analysis of the growth of rimu (Dacrydium cupressinum) in south Westland, New Zealand, using process-based simulation models. International Journal of Biometeorology 46: 66–75. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Seasonal variation in carbon dioxide exchange over a Mediterranean annual grassland in California. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 123: 79–96. , .
- 2004. Leaf respiratory CO2 is enriched relative to leaf organic components in five species of C3 plants. New Phytologist 163: 499–505. , , , .
- 2000. The use of stable isotopes to study ecosystem gas exchange. Oecologia 123: 297–311. , .
- 1971. Trees, Structure and Function. Berlin, Germany: Springer. , .
- 1975. List of sugars and sugar alcohols in sieve-tube exudates. In: ZimmermannMH, MilburnJA, eds. Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology, Vol. 1: Transport in Plants, 1: Phloem Transport. New York, USA: Springer, 480–503. , .