Performance of trees in forest canopies: explorations with a bottom-up functional–structural plant growth model
Version of Record online: 23 FEB 2005
Volume 166, Issue 3, pages 827–843, June 2005
How to Cite
Sterck, F. J., Schieving, F., Lemmens, A. and Pons, T. L. (2005), Performance of trees in forest canopies: explorations with a bottom-up functional–structural plant growth model. New Phytologist, 166: 827–843. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01342.x
- Issue online: 23 FEB 2005
- Version of Record online: 23 FEB 2005
- Received: 8 October 2004 Accepted: 26 November 2004
- 1996. Canopy structure and dynamics: integration of growth processes in tropical pioneer trees. In: MulkeySS, ChazdonRL, SmithAP, eds. Tropical Forest Plant Ecophysiology. New York, USA: Chapman & Hall, 619–658. .
- 2000. The McCree-deWit-Penning de Vries-Thornley respiration paradigms: 30 years later. Annals of Botany 86: 1–20. .
- 1984. Botanical tree image generation. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 4: 10–34. , .
- 1997. Simulation of Growth and Competition in Mixed Stands of Douglas-Fir and Beech. PhD Thesis, Ponser & Looijen, Wageningen, the Netherlands. .
- 1991. Plant Form, an Illustrated Guide to Flowering Plant Morphology. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 1990. Leaf characteristics of the tropical rain forest flora of los Tuxtlas, Mexico. Botanical Gazette 151: 354–365. , .
- 1982. Growth strategy of trees related to successional status II. Leaf dynamics. Forest Ecology and Management 4: 374–386. , .
- 1967. Apical dominance and form in woody plants: a reappraisal. American Journal of Botany 54: 153–162. , , .
- 1977. An Introduction to Environmental Physics. New York, USA: Springer .
- 1982. The ecology of leaf life spans. Annual Review of Ecological Systems 13: 229–259. , .
- 1986. The costs of leaf support in understory palms -economy versus safety. American Naturalist 127: 9–30. .
- 1988. Sunflecks and their importance to understorey plants. Advances in Ecological Research 18: 1–63. .
- 1984. Light environments of tropical forests. In: MedinaE, MooneyHA, Vasquez-YanesC, eds. Physiological Ecology of Plant of the Wet Tropics. The Hague, the Netherlands: W. Junk, 27–36. , .
- 1992. Life history diversity of canopy and emergent trees in a Neotropical rain forest. Ecological Monographs 62: 315–344. , .
- 1997. Concepts and terminology of apical dominance. American Journal of Botany 84: 1064–1069. .
- 2004. From genes to morphogenesis. In: GodinC, HananJ, KurthW, LacointeA, TakenakaA, PruskinkiewiczP, DeJongT, BeveridgeC, AndrieuB, eds. 4th International Workshop on Functional–Structural Plant Models. Montpellier, France: Proceedings UMR & AMAP. .
- 1988. Effect of plant growth rate and leaf lifetime on the amount and type of anti-herbivore defense. Oecologia 74: 531–536. .
- 1993. Canopy structure and vertical patterns of photosynthesis and related leaf traits in a deciduous forest. Oecologia 96: 169–178. , .
- 2002. Universal scaling in tree and vascular plant allometry: toward a general quantitative theory of linking plant form and function from cells to ecosystems. Tree Physiologist 22: 1045–1064. .
- 1996. Pattern and process in neotropical secondary rain forests: the first 100 years of succession. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 11: 119–124. .
- 1985. A modular approach to tree production. In: WhiteJ, ed. Studies on Plant Demography: a Festschrift to John L. Harper. London, UK: Academic Press, 257–272. .
- 2003. Plant respiration in productivity models: conceptualization, representation and issues for global terrestrial carbon-cycle research. Functional Plant Biology 30: 171–186. .
- 1988. Adaptation to sun and shade: a whole-plant perspective. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 15: 63–92. .
- 1977. Crop Micrometeorology: a Simulation Study. PhD Thesis, Pudoc, Wageningen, the Netherlands. .
- 1978. Tropical Trees and Forests. An Architectural Analysis. Berlin-Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. , , .
- 1971. The Adaptive Geometry of Trees. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 1984. A model of instantaneous and daily canopy photosynthesis. Journal of Theoretical Biology 107: 531–545. , .
- 1991. A Cost-benefit analysis of leaf habit and leaf longevity of trees and their geographical pattern. American Naturalist 138: 1250–1263. .
- 1991a. Correlations between biomass allocation, relative growth rate and light environment in tropical forest saplings. Functional Ecology 5: 485–492. .
- 1991b. Tree size. National Geographyraphical Research and Exploration 7: 342–351. .
- 1994. Influence of light level on the growth and morphology of saplings in Panamanian forest. American Journal of Botany 81: 948–957. .
- 1978. Community architecture and organic matter dynamics in tropical lowland rain forests of southeast Asia with special reference to Pasoh forest, West Malaysia. In: TomlinsonPB, ZimmermannMH, eds. Tropical Trees as Living Systems. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 561–590. .
- 1969. Structure of forest canopies as related to their primary productivity. Plant Cell Physiology 10: 129–142. , , .
- 1994. Relative importance of photosynthetic traits and allocation patterns as correlates of seedling shade tolerance of 13 tropical trees. Oecologia 98: 419–428. .
- 1995. Juvenile tree survivorship as a component of shade tolerance. Ecological Applications 3: 517–532. , , , .
- 1990. Significance of allometry in tropical saplings. Functional Ecology 4: 515–521. , .
- 1994. Light penetration through structurally complex forest canopies: an example of a lowland tropical rain forest. Forest Ecology and Management 69: 111–122. , .
- 2004. Wood grain patterns at branch junctions: modeling and implications. Trees: Structure and Function 18: 493–500. , .
- 1979. Physiology of Woody Plants. New York, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 1994. Patterns of density and dispersion of forest trees. In: McDadeLA, BawaKS, HespenheideHA, HartshornGS, eds. La Selva: Ecology and Natural History of a Neotropical Rain Forest. London, UK: Chicago Press, 106–199. , .
- 1986. Implications of the pipe model theory on dry matter partitioning and height growth in trees. Journal of Theoretical Biology 123: 103–120. .
- 2003. Process-based modeling of tree and stand growth: towards a hierarchical treatment of multi-scale processes. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 33: 398–409. .
- 2004. Two–way interactions between process-based tree growth models and 3D structural-functional models – lessons learned from a scaling exercise. In: GodinC, HananJ, KurthW, LacointeA, TakenakaA, PruskinkiewiczP, DeJongT, BeveridgeC, AndrieuB, eds. 4th International Workshop on Functional–Structural Plant Models. Montpellier, France: Proceedings UMR & AMAP. , , , .
- 1991. Trees: the Mechanical Design. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1996. Visual models of plant interacting with their environment. Computer Graphics Proceedings,Annual Conference Series: 397–410. , .
- 1995. Canopy Dynamics of a Tropical Rain Forest in French Guiana. PhD Thesis, Wageningen Agricultural University, Wageningen, the Netherlands. .
- 1991. Principles of Environmental Physics. London, UK: Arnold Publishers. , .
- 2001. Forest structure, canopy architecture, and light transmittance in tropical wet forests. Ecology 82: 2707–2718. , .
- 1987. Structural analysis of tree trunks and branches: tapered cantilever beams subject to large deflections under complex loading. Tree Physiology 3: 365–374. , .
- 1994. Plant Allometry: the Scaling of Form and Process. London, UK: The. University of Chicago Press. .
- 1996. Forest models defined by field measurements: estimation, error analysis and dynamics. Ecological Monographs 66: 1–43. , , , , , .
- 1996. A three-dimensional crown architecture model for assessment of light capture and carbon gain by understory plants. Oecologia 108: 1–12. , .
- 1975. The costs of maintenance processes in plants. Annals of Botany 39: 77–92. .
- 1996. Lignum: a tree model based on simple structural units. Annals of Botany 77: 87–98. , , , , , .
- 2003. Architecture of 53 rain forest tree species differing in adult stature and shade tolerance. Ecology 84: 602–608. , , , .
- 1997. The fate of acquired carbon in plants: chemical composition and construction costs. In: BazzazFA, GraceJ, eds. Plant Resource Allocation. New York, USA: Academic Press, 39–72. , .
- 1990. The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants. New York, USA: Springer. , .
- 2000. Characterization of architectural tree models using l-systems and Petri nets. In: LabrecqueM, ed. L’arbre – the Tree 2000, 177–186. , .
- 1994. Growth of Tropical Rain Forest Trees as Dependent on Phosphorous Supply. Tropenbos Series 11. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Tropenbos Foundation. .
- 1991. Leaf lifespan as a determinant of leaf structure and function among 23 Amazonian tree species. Oecologia 86: 16–24. , , , , .
- 1992. Leaf life span in relation to leaf plant and stand characteristics among diverse ecosystems. Ecological Monographs 62: 365–392. , , .
- 2003. The evolution of plant functional variation: traits, spectra, and strategies. International Journal of Plant Sciences 164: S143–S164. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Wood densities of tropical trees. New Orleans, LA, USA: Southern Forest Experiment Station. , , .
- 1996. The Tropical Rain Forest, 2nd edn. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2000. Leaf Function in Tropical Rain Forest Canopies. PhD Thesis, Ponser & Looijen, Wageningen. .
- 1994. Modular and metamer dynamics and virtual plants. Advances in Ecological Research 25: 105–157. , , .
- 1989. Absorption of radiation by canopies and stand growth. In: RusselGB, MarhsallB, JarvisPJ, eds. Plant Canopies: Their Growth, Form and Function. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 21–40. , , .
- 1992. Maintenance respiration and stand development in a subalpine lodgepole pine forest. Ecology 73: 2100–2108. , .
- 1964. A quantitative analysis of plant form – the pipeline model theory I. Basic analysis. Japanese Journal of Ecology 14: 133–139. , , , .
- 2004. Light and carbon acquisition partitioning between flushes of two-year-old mango trees. Montpellier, France: Proceedings FSPM04. , , , .
- 1993. A model of competition incorporating plasticity through modular foliage and crown development. Ecological Monographs 63: 277–304. , , .
- 2002. When branch autonomy fails: Milton's Law of resource availability and allocation. Tree Physiologist 22: 1119–1124. .
- 1999. Crown development in tropical rain forest trees in gaps and understorey. Plant Ecology 143: 89–98. .
- 2004. Woody architecture. In: TurnbullC, ed. Annual Plant Reviews: Plant Architecture and its Manipulation. Cambridge, UK: Blackwell Science, 208–236. .
- 2001. Crown development in tropical rain forest trees: patterns with light availability and tree height. Journal of Ecology 89: 1–13. , .
- 2003. Module responses in a tropical forest tree analyzed with a matrix model. Ecology 84: 2751–2761. , , , , .
- 2001. Tree architecture in a Bornean lowland rain forest: intra-specific and inter-specific patterns. Plant Ecology 153: 279–292. , , .
- 1998. Plant foraging and dynamic competition between branches of Pinus sylvestris in contrasting light environments. Journal of Ecology 86: 341–354. , .
- 2002. Convergence in light capture efficiencies among tropical forest understorey plants with contrasting crown architectures: a case of morphological compensation. American Journal of Botany 89: 1275–1284. , , .
- 2000. Plastic phenotypic response to light of 16 congeneric shrubs from a Panamanian rainforest. Ecology 81: 1925–1936. , , , , .
- 1998. Growth and carbon partitioning of tropical tree seedlings growing in contrasting light environments. In: LambersH, PoorterH, Van VuurenMI, eds. Inherent Variation in Plant Growth. Physiological mechanisms and ecological consequences. Leiden, the Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers, 337–361. , .
- 1981. Analysis of light interception by a single plant. Annals of Botany 48: 501–505. .
- 1984. Morphogenetic constraints on patterns of carbon distribution in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 15: 233–258. , .
- 1999. A general model for the structure and allometry of plant vascular systems. Nature 400: 664–667. , , .
- 2002. Plant ecological strategies: some leading dimensions of variation between species. Annual Review of Ecological Systems 33: 125–159. , , , , .
- 1979. The plant as a metapopulation. Annual Revue of Ecology and Systematics 10: 109–145. .
- 1989. Relationships among leaf construction cost, leaf longevity, and light environment in rain-forest plants of the genus Piper. American Naturalist 133: 198–211. , , .
- 2000. Apical control of branch growth and angle in woody plants. American Journal of Botany 87: 601–607. .
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1974. Three dimensional distribution of light intensity in a tropical rain forest of West Malaysia. Japanese Journal of Ecology 24: 247–254. .