Phylloclimate or the climate perceived by individual plant organs: What is it? How to model it? What for?
Article first published online: 8 FEB 2005
Volume 166, Issue 3, pages 781–790, June 2005
How to Cite
Chelle, M. (2005), Phylloclimate or the climate perceived by individual plant organs: What is it? How to model it? What for?. New Phytologist, 166: 781–790. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01350.x
- Issue published online: 8 FEB 2005
- Article first published online: 8 FEB 2005
- Received: 30 September 2004 Accepted: 18 November 2004
- 1997. Plant Pathology. San Diego, USA: Harcourt Academic Press. .
- 2002. NEXUS: An example for the interconnection of structural and microclimate models. In: Hölker, F, ed. Scales, Hierarchies and Emergent Properties in Ecological Models. Frankfurt am Main, Germany: Peter Lang. 105–117. .
- 1980. Effect of wind on canopy structure, irradiance penetration and source-sink locations. Agronomy Abstracts. 72nd annual meeting, American Society of Agronomy, 9. , , .
- 1983. Characteristics of air flow above and within soybean canopies. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 25: 43–54. , , .
- 1998. Sunfleck dynamics and canopy structure in a Phaseolus vulgaris L. canopy. International Journal of Biometeorology 42: 34–43. , , .
- 1997. Architectural modeling and turbulent transfers. In: AndrieuB, ed. Architectural modeling. Paris, France: INRA Bioclimatologie, 231–233. .
- 2002. Implementation and evaluation of DROP, a model for the simulation of rainfall distribution below plants described in 3D. Agronomie 22: 93–103. , , .
- 1985. Throughfall and stemflow in wheat. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 35: 329–338. , .
- 1989. Amorphous silicon cells for the measurement of photosynthetically active radiation. Agronomie 9: 281–284. , , , .
- 1998. The nested radiosity model for the distribution of light within plant canopies. Ecological Modelling 111: 75–91. , .
- 1999. Radiative models for architectural modeling. Agronomie 19: 225–240. , .
- 1997. A four-scale bidirectional reflectance model based on canopy architecture. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 35: 1316–1337. , .
- 2000. Partitioning of rainfall into throughfall, stemflow and interception: effect of forest type, ground cover and climate. Hydrological Processes 14: 2903–2920. , .
- 2001. Simulation of leaf transpiration and sap flow in virtual plants: model description and application to a coffee plantation in Costa Rica. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 109: 143–160. , , .
- 2004. Effect of plant interaction on wind-induced plant motion. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 126: 146–151. , , .
- 2003. MODICA and MODANCA: modelling the three-dimensional shoot structure of graminaceous crops from two methods of plant description. Field Crops Research 83: 215–222. .
- 1999. Radiative transfer sensitivity to the accuracy of canopy structure description: the case of maize canopy. Agronomie 19: 241–254. , , , , .
- 2003. Leaf size and angle vary widely across species: what consequences for light interception? New Phytologist 158: 509–525. , .
- 2001. Models of photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 125: 42–45. , , .
- 2000. 3D architectural modelling of aerial photomorphogenesis in white clover (Trifolium repens L.) using 1-systems. Annals of Botany 85: 359–370. , , , .
- 1999. Vertical profiles of boundary layer conductance and wind speed in a cotton canopy measured with heated brass surrogate leaves. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 97: 187–197. , .
- 1999. Individual-based modelling and ecological theory: synthesis of a workshop. Ecological Modelling 115: 275–282. , , , .
- 1985. Portable monitor for solar radiation that accumulates irradiance histograms for 32 leaf-mounted sensors. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 33: 281–290. , , , .
- 2003. Extreme events as shaping physiology, ecology, and evolution of plants: toward a unified definition and evaluation of their consequences. New Phytologist 160: 21–42. , .
- 2001. A theoretical study of an electrostatic multipole to assess the horizontal and vertical distribution of the in situ water content of vegetation canopies. Agronomie 21: 127–138. , , .
- 1990. Similarity of moisture dew profiles within a corn canopy. Journal of Applied Meteorology 29: 1300–1306. , , .
- 1993. Thigmomorphogenesis: the effect of mechanical perturbation on plants. Plant Growth Regulation 12: 313–324. , .
- 1992. Plant and Microclimate, a Quantitative Approach to Environmental Plant Physiology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Univeristy Press. .
- 2003. Radiation measurement for plant ecophysiology. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 879–889. , , , .
- 1998. Modelling photosynthesis in fluctuating light with inclusion of stomatal conductance, biochemical activation and pools of key photosynthetic intermediates. Planta 204: 16–26. , , , , .
- 1997. Small-scale study of three dimensional distribution of photosynthetically active radiation in a forest. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology 88: 215–239. , , , .
- 1971. Leaf temperature measurement techniques. Boundary Layer Meteorology 1: 458–465. , , .
- 1998. Indices of light microclimate and canopy structure of grapevines determined by 3D digitising and image analysis, and their relationship to grape quality. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research 4: 2–13. , .
- 2003. Cooperation and competition in heterogeneous environments: the evolution of resource sharing in clonal plants. Evolutionary Ecology Research 5: 787–817. , , , .
- 1996. Visual models of plants interacting with their environment. In: Rushmeier, H, ed. Siggraph ‘96. New Orleans, USA: Addison-Wesley, 397–410. , .
- 1996. A whole-plant, open, gas-exchange system for measuring net photosynthesis of potted woody plants. Hortscience 31: 944–946. , , .
- 2001. The nature and limits of canopy biology. Selbyana 22: 155–179. .
- 1977. Climate and the efficiency of crop production in Britain. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 281: 277–294. .
- 2001. Plants as resource mosaics: a functional model for predicting patterns of within-plant resource heterogeneity to consumers based on vascular architecture and local environmental variability. Oikos 94: 493–504. , .
- 2004. Modelling leaf wetness duration during thee rosette stage of oilseed rape. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology 123: 69–78. , , .
- 1997. An improved dynamic model of photosynthesis for estimation of carbon gain in sunfleck light regimes. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 411–424. , , .
- 1990. Sunfleck dynamics in relation to canopy structure in a soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr.) canopy. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 52: 359–372. , , .
- 2004. A functional analysis of the crown architecture of tropical forest Psychotria species: do species vary in light capture efficiency and consequently in carbon gain and growth? Oecologia 139: 163–177. , , , .
- 1998. LIGNUM: a model combining the structure and the functioning of trees. Ecological Modelling 108: 189–198. , , .
- 2004. ALEA: A software for integrating analysis and simulation tools for 3D architecture and ecophysiology. In: Godin, C et al., eds. 4th International Workshop on Functional-Structural Plant Models. Montpellier, France: UMR AMAP, 406. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Modeling of spatial structure and development of plants: a review. Scientia Horticulturae 74: 113–149. .
- 2003. Modeling the light interception and carbon gain of individual fluttering aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx) leaves. Tree: Structure and Function 17: 117–126. .
- 1993a. The effect of flutter on the temperature of poplar leaves and its implications for carbon gain. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 571–577. , .
- 1993b. Effect of leaf flutter on the light environment of poplars. Oecologia 93: 201–207. , .
- 1999. Jensen's inequality predicts effects of environmental variation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14: 361–366. , .
- 2000. Short-distance dispersal of wheat rust spores by wind and rain. Agronomie 20: 757–767. .
- 2003. Modelling water transfer by rain-splash in a 3D canopy using Monte Carlo integration. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology 121: 183–196. , , .
- 2000. Components of functional-structural tree models. Annals of Forest Sciences 57: 399–412. , , , , , .
- 2000. Short term interactions between tree foliage and the aerial environment: an overview of modelling approaches available for tree structure-function models. Annals of Forest Science 57: 477–496. , .
- 1997. Measurement and visualization of the architecture of an adult tree based on a three-dimensional digitising device. Trees: Structure and Function 11: 265–270. , .
- 2001. RATP, a model for simulatong the spatial distribution of radiation absorption, transpiration and photosynthesis within canopies: aaplication to an isolated tree crown. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 395–406. , , , , .
- 2003. An efficient instantiation algorithm for simulating radiant energy transfer in plant models. Acm Transactions on Graphics 22: 204–233. , , , .
- 1999. Modelling leaf explansion in a fluctuating environment: are changes in specific leaf area a consequence of changes in expansion rate? New Phytologist 143: 33–43. , , .
- 1989. Leaf bidirectional reflectance and transmittance in corn and soybean. Remote Sensing of Environment 29: 161–174. , , .
- 1999. A networked two-dimensional sonic anemometer system for the measurement of air velocity in greenhouses. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research 73: 189–197. , , .
- 1986. Integrated physiological units in Plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 1: 119–123. .
- 1999. Measurement and simulation of dew accumulation and drying in a potato canopy. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 93: 111–119. , , .
- 2003. Evaluation of the importance of Lagrangian canopy turbulence formulations in a soil-plant-atmosphere model. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 115: 51–69. , , , .