Plasticity genes and plasticity costs: a new approach using an Arabidopsis recombinant inbred population
Article first published online: 22 FEB 2005
Volume 166, Issue 1, pages 129–140, April 2005
How to Cite
Callahan, H. S., Dhanoolal, N. and Ungerer, M. C. (2005), Plasticity genes and plasticity costs: a new approach using an Arabidopsis recombinant inbred population. New Phytologist, 166: 129–140. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01368.x
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2005
- Article first published online: 22 FEB 2005
- Received: 13 August 2004 Accepted: 19 December 2004
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity in the interactions and evolution of species. Science 294: 321–326. .
- 1999. QTL Cartographer, Version 1.13 in. Raleigh, Department of Statistics, North Carolina State University, NC, USA. .
- Weir, Zeng. 1994. Zmap-a QTL cartographer, In: SmithC, GavoraJS, BenkelB, ChesnaisJ, Fairfull., W, eds. 5th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production: Computing Strategies and Software. Guelph, Ontario, Canada: Organizing Committee, 65–66 ,
- Scheiner. 2004. Modeling the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. In: DeWittTJ, ScheinerSM, eds. Phenotypic Plasticity: Functional and Conceptual Approaches. New York, USA: Oxford University Press. ,
- 2002. Quantitative trait loci controlling light and hormone response in two accessions of Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 160: 683–696. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Epistatic interaction between Arabidopsis FRI and FLC flowering time genes generates a latitudinal cline in a life history trait. PNAS 101: 15670–15675. , , , , .
- 2002. Shade-induced plasticity and its ecological significance in wild populations of Arabidopsis thaliana. Ecology 83: 1965–1980. , .
- 1994. Empirical threshold values for quantitative trait mapping. Genetics 138: 963–971. , .
- 1994. Phenotypic plasticity of size-fecundity relationships in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Ecology 82: 447–455. , .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity: Tests with predator-induced morphology and life history in a freshwater snail. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 11: 465–480. .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13: 77–81. , , .
- 1996. Permutation tests for multiple loci affecting a quantitative character. Genetics 142: 285–294. , .
- 2000. Plasticity to light cues and resources in Arabidopsis thaliana: Testing for adaptive value and costs. Evolution 54: 1982–1994. , , .
- 1990. Selection in different environments: Effects on environmental sensitivity (reaction norm) and on mean performance. Genetical Research 56: 57–70. .
- 1999. Engineering candidate genes in studies of adaptation: The heat-shock protein Hsp70 in Drosophila melanogaster. American Naturalist 154: S55–S66. .
- 2003. The need for winter in the switch to flowering. Annual Review of Genetics 37: 371–392. , , .
- 1995. Multiple trait analysis of genetic mapping for quantitative trait loci. Genetics 140: 1111–1127. , .
- 2000. Molecular analysis of FRIGIDA, a major determinant of natural variation in Arabidopsis flowering time. Science 290: 344–347. , , , , , .
- 1993. Effects of Photoperiod and Vernalization on the Number of Leaves at Flowering in 32 Arabidopsis-Thaliana (Brassicaceae) Ecotypes. American Journal of Botany 80: 646–648. , , .
- 2000. Costs of plasticity in foraging characteristics of the clonal plant Ranunculus reptans. Evolution 54: 1947–1955. , , .
- 1944. The estimation of map distances from recombination values. Annals of Eugenics 12: 172–175. .
- 1997. Natural variation in the expression of the heat-shock protein hsp70 in a population of Drosophila melanogaster and its correlation with tolerance of ecologically relevant stress. Evolution 51: 173–179. , .
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. , .
- 1987. MAPMAKER: an interactive computer package for constructing primary genetic linkage maps of experimental and natural populations. Genomics 1: 174–181. , , , , , , .
- 2002. DNA polymorphism at the FRIGIDA gene in Arabidopsis thaliana: Extensive nonsynonymous variation is consistent with local selection for flowering time. Molecular Biology and Evolution 19: 1261–1271. , , .
- 1993. Analysis of naturally occurring late flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular and General Genetics 237: 171–176. , , .
- 1992. Constructing genetic maps with MAPMAKER/EXP 3.0. Cary, NC, USA. , , .
- 1996. SAS system for mixed models. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute. , , , .
- 2002. Bay-0, x Shahdara recombinant inbred lines populatuion: a powerful tool for the genetic dissection of complex traits in Arabidopsis. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 104: 1173–1184. , , , , .
- 1997. Experimental manipulation of putative selective agents provides evidence for the role of natural enemies in the evolution of plant defenses. Evolution 51: 1435–1444. , .
- 2003. Genetics of drought adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana. I. Pleiotropy contributes to genetic correlations among ecological traits. Molecular Ecology 12: 1137–1151. , , .
- 2000. Memories of winter: vernalization and the competence to flower. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1145–1153. , .
- 2001. Loss of FLOWERING LOCUS C activity eliminates the late-flowering phenotype of FRIGIDA and autonomous pathway mutations but not responsiveness to vernalization. Plant Cell 13: 935–941. , .
- 2003. Attenuation of FLOWERING LOCUS C activity as a mechanism for the evolution of summer-annual flowering behavior in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 10102–10107. , , , .
- 1996. Genetic constraints on life-history evolution: Quantitative-trait loci influencing growth and flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 50: 140–145. .
- 1999. The effect of seed and rosette cold treatment on germination and flowering time in some Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae) ecotypes. American Journal of Botany 86: 470–475. , .
- 1996. How organisms respond to environmental changes: From phenotypes to molecules (and vice versa). Trends in Ecology and Evolution 11: 168–173. .
- 2001. Phenotypic Plasticity; Beyond Nature and Nurture. Baltimore. MD, USA: The Johns Hopkins University Press. .
- 2003. Selection in a model system: Ecological genetics of flowering time in Arabidopsis thaliana. Ecology 84: 1700–1712. .
- 2001. Differentiation for flowering time and phenotypic integration in Arabidopsis thaliana in response to season length and vernalization. Oecologia 127: 501–508. , .
- 1992. The measurement of selection on quantitative traits: biases due to environmental covariances between traits an fitness. Evolution 46: 616–626. .
- 2002. Costs of phenotypic plasticity. American Naturalist 159: 272–282. .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43: 223–225. .
- SAS Institute. 1999. SAS/STAT User's Guide, Version 8, 4th edn. edition. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc.
- 1998. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. VIII. The cost of plasticity in Daphnia pulex. Evolution 52: 368–378. , .
- 2003. The adaptive evolution of plasticity: Phytochrome-mediated shade avoidance responses. Integrative and Comparative Biology 43: 459–469. , , , .
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. New York, USA: Oxford University Press. .
- 2003. Evolution in stressful environments II: adaptive value and costs of plasticity in response to low light in Sinapis arvensis. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 16: 313–323. , , .
- 2004. A latitudinal cline in flowering time in Arabidopsis thaliana modulated by the flowering time gene FRIGIDA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 4712–4717. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Metapopulation structure favors plasticity over local adaptation. American Naturalist 160: 271–283. , .
- 2000. Transgenic organisms in evolutionary ecology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15: 207–211. .
- 2003. Genotype–environment interactions at quantitative trait loci affecting inflorescence development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 165: 353–365. , , , .
- 1991. Evolution of generalists and specialists in spatially heterogeneous environments. Evolution 45: 1317–1331. .
- 2004. Environmental effects on the expression of quantitative trait loci and implications for phenotypic evolution. Bioscience 54: 627–635. , .
- 2003. Evolutionary genetics of resistance and tolerance to natural herbivory in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 57: 1270–1280. , , .
- 2001. Quantitative trait loci analysis of powdery mildew disease resistance in the Arabidopsis thaliana accession Kashmir-1. Genetics 158: 1301–1309. , , , .
- 2004. Light-response quantitative trait loci identified with composite interval and eXtreme array mapping in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 167: 907–917. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Theoretical basis for separation of multiple linked gene effects in mapping quantitative trait loci. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 90: 10972–10976. .
- 1994. Precision mapping of quantitative trait loci. Genetics 136: 1457–1468. .