UNITE: a database providing web-based methods for the molecular identification of ectomycorrhizal fungi
Article first published online: 16 MAR 2005
Volume 166, Issue 3, pages 1063–1068, June 2005
How to Cite
Kõljalg, U., Larsson, K.-H., Abarenkov, K., Nilsson, R. H., Alexander, I. J., Eberhardt, U., Erland, S., Høiland, K., Kjøller, R., Larsson, E., Pennanen, T., Sen, R., Taylor, A. F. S., Tedersoo, L., Vrålstad, T. and Björn M. Ursing (2005), UNITE: a database providing web-based methods for the molecular identification of ectomycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist, 166: 1063–1068. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01376.x
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 16 MAR 2005
- Received: 29 October 2004 Accepted: 22 December 2004
- DNA taxonomy;
- molecular identification;
- sequence database;
- • Identification of ectomycorrhizal (ECM) fungi is often achieved through comparisons of ribosomal DNA internal transcribed spacer (ITS) sequences with accessioned sequences deposited in public databases. A major problem encountered is that annotation of the sequences in these databases is not always complete or trustworthy. In order to overcome this deficiency, we report on UNITE, an open-access database.
- • UNITE comprises well annotated fungal ITS sequences from well defined herbarium specimens that include full herbarium reference identification data, collector/source and ecological data. At present UNITE contains 758 ITS sequences from 455 species and 67 genera of ECM fungi.
- • UNITE can be searched by taxon name, via sequence similarity using blastn, and via phylogenetic sequence identification using galaxie. Following implementation, galaxie performs a phylogenetic analysis of the query sequence after alignment either to pre-existing generic alignments, or to matches retrieved from a blast search on the UNITE data. It should be noted that the current version of UNITE is dedicated to the reliable identification of ECM fungi.
- • The UNITE database is accessible through the URL http://unite.zbi.ee