Jasmonates and Na-orthovanadate promote resveratrol production in Vitis vinifera cv. Barbera cell cultures
Version of Record online: 9 MAR 2005
Volume 166, Issue 3, pages 895–905, June 2005
How to Cite
Tassoni, A., Fornalè, S., Franceschetti, M., Musiani, F., Michael, A. J., Perry, B. and Bagni, N. (2005), Jasmonates and Na-orthovanadate promote resveratrol production in Vitis vinifera cv. Barbera cell cultures. New Phytologist, 166: 895–905. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01383.x
- Issue online: 9 MAR 2005
- Version of Record online: 9 MAR 2005
- Received: 10 January 2005 Accepted: 10 January 2005
- 1996. Induction of phytoalexin (resveratrol) synthesis in grapevine leaves treated with aluminium chloride (AlCl3). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 44: 1979–1981. , , , .
- 1995. The octadecanoic pathway: signal molecules for the regulation of secondary pathways. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 4099–4105. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Resveratrol accumulation and resveratrol synthase gene expression in response to abiotic stresses and hormones in peanut plants. Plant Science 164: 103–109. , , , .
- 2003. Phytoalexin production in grapevine protoplasts during isolation and culture. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 41: 317–323. , , , , , .
- 1994. Assay of cell viability: discrimination of cells dying by apoptosis. In: DarzynkiewiczZ, RobinsonJP, CrissmanHA, eds. Methods in Cell Biology, Vol. 41. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press Inc, 15–38. , , .
- 1996. Condensed tannin and anthocyanin production in Vitis vinifera cell suspension cultures. Plant Cell Reports 15: 762–765. , .
- 2002. Galloylated catechins and stilbene diglucosides in Vitis vinifera cell suspension cultures. Phytochemistry 60: 795–798. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Differential induction of grapevine defences by two strains of Botrytis cinerea. Phytopathology 89: 197–203. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Activation, structure and organization of genes involved in microbial defence in plants. Advances in Genetics 28: 165–234. , .
- 1992. Molecular analysis of chalcone and dihydropinosylvin synthase from Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris), and differential regulation of these and related enzyme activities in stressed plants. Plant Molecular Biology 18: 489–503. , , , , .
- 1995a. Assay of resveratrol glucosides and isomers in wine by direct-injection high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography. 708: 89–98. , , , , , .
- 1995b. A global survey of trans-resveratrol concentrations in commercial wines. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture 46: 159–165. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Hrp gene-dependent induction of hin 1: a plant gene activated rapidly by both harpins and the avrPto gene-mediated signal. Plant Journal 10: 591–600. , , .
- 1992. Jasmonic acid is a signal transducer in elicitor-induced plant cell cultures. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 2389–2393. , , , .
- 1990. Expression of a stilbene synthase gene in Nicotiana tabacum results in synthesis of phytoalexin resveratrol. Plant Molecular Biology 15: 325–335. , , , , .
- 1997. Cancer chemopreventive activity of resveratrol, a nature product derived from grapes. Science 275: 218–220. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Phytoalexins from the Vitaceae: biosynthesis, phytoalexin gene expression in transgenic plants, antifungal activity and metabolism. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 50: 2731–2741. , , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular cloning and characterization of a novel Jasmonate Inducible Pathogenesis-related class 10 protein gene, JIOsPR10, from rice (Oryza sativa L.) seedling leaves. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 286: 973–983. , , , , .
- 2001. Simultaneous expression of stilbene synthase genes in Japanese red pine (Pinus densiflora). Journal of Wood Science 47: 58–62. , , .
- 1998. Resveratrol, a phytoestrogen found in red wine. A possible explanation for the conundrum of the ‘French paradox’? European Journal of Endocrinology 138: 619–620. .
- 1999. Stilbene production by Vitis vinifera cell suspension cultures: methyljasmonate induction and 13C biolabeling. Journal of Natural Products 62: 1688–1690. , , , , , .
- 1976. The production of resveratrol by Vitis vinifera and other members of the Vitaceae as a response to infection or injury. Physiology and Plant Pathology 9: 77–86. , .
- 1977. A new class of phytoalexins from grapevine. Experientia 33: 151–152. , .
- 1990. Differential regulation of genes for resveratrol synthase in cell cultures of Arachis hypogea. Planta 181: 169–175. , , .
- 1999. Chemoprevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease by resveratrol. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 23: 99–106. , .
- 1991. Coordinate- and elicitor-dependent expression of stilbene synthase and phenylalanine ammonia-lyase genes in Vitis cv. Optima. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 288: 552–557. , .
- 2001. ORCAnization of jasmonate-responsive gene expression in alkaloid metabolism. Trends in Plant Science 6: 212–219. , , .
- 1997. Oxidation of trans-resveratrol by a hypodermal peroxidase isoenzyme from Gamay rouge grape (Vitis vinifera) berries. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture 48: 33–38. , , .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Plant Physiology 15: 473–497. , .
- 2001. Light-dependent induction of OsPR10 in rice (Oriza sativa L.) seedlings by the global stress signaling molecule jasmonic acid and protein phosphatase 2A inhibitors. Plant Science 161: 477–487. , , .
- 1998. Jasmonate and salicylate as global signals from defence gene expression. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 1: 404–411. , .
- 1999. The chalcone/stilbene synthase-type family of condensing enzymes. In: SankawaU, ed. Comprehensive Natural Products Chemistry, Vol. 1, Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier, 749–771. .
- 1997. An ozone-responsive region of the grapevine resveratrol synthase promoter differs from the basal pathogen-responsive sequence. Plant Molecular Biology 34: 417–426. , , , , , .
- 1997. Comparative evaluation of four methods for assay of cis- and trans-resveratrol. American Journal of Ecology and Viticulture 48: 169–175. , , , , , .
- 2000. Systematic analysis of peptide recoveries from in-gel digestions for protein identifications in Proteome studies. Journal of Biomolecular Techniques 11: 74–86. , , , .
- 1995. Jasmonates, salicylic acid and brassinolides. Jasmonates activity in plants. In: DaviesPJ, ed. Plant Hormones. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 179–187. .
- 1997. Effects of various vinification techniques on the concentrations of cis- and trans-resveratrol and resveratrol glucoside isomers in wine. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture 48: 214–219. , , .
- 1996b. Trans-resveratrol-3-O-β-glucoside (piceid) in cell suspension cultures of Vitis vinifera. Phytochemistry 43: 1591–1593. , , , , .
- 1996a. The accumulation of stilbene glycosides in Vitis vinifera cell suspension cultures. Journal of Natural Products 59: 1189–1191. , , , , , .
- 1998. Isolation, identification and antioxidant activity of three stilbene glucosides newly extracted from Vitis vinifera cell cultures. Journal of Natural Products 61: 655–657. , , , , , .
- 1994. The occurrence of piceid, a stilbene glucoside, in grape berries. Phytochemistry 37: 571–573. , .
- 1994. Structural organization and differential expression of three stilbene synthase genes located on a 13 kb grapevine DNA fragment. Plant Molecular Biology 26: 667–677. , , , .