Conventional detection methodology is limiting our ability to understand the roles and functions of fine roots
Version of Record online: 9 MAR 2005
Volume 166, Issue 3, pages 967–980, June 2005
How to Cite
Pierret, A., Moran, C. J. and Doussan, C. (2005), Conventional detection methodology is limiting our ability to understand the roles and functions of fine roots. New Phytologist, 166: 967–980. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01389.x
- Issue online: 9 MAR 2005
- Version of Record online: 9 MAR 2005
- Received: 5 November 2004 Accepted: 10 January 2005
- 1994. Root length and biomass losses during sample preparation with different screen mesh sizes. Plant and Soil 161: 299–303. , .
- 2002. Spatial distribution of roots and water uptake of maize (Zea mays L.) as affected by soil structure. Crop Science 42: 773–780. , .
- 1979. Aeration in higher plants. Advances in Botanical Research 7: 225–330. .
- 1998. Root growth and water uptake during water deficit and recovering in wheat. Plant and Soil 201: 265–273. , , , .
- 1995. Determination of soil structure at various scales. In: HartgeKH, StewartBA, eds. Soil structure: Its Development and Function. Boca Raton, FL, USA: Lewis Publishers, 11–30. , , , , .
- 1997. A biophysical analysis of root growth under mechanical stress. Plant and Soil 189: 155–164. , , .
- 1979. Methods of Studying Root Systems. Ecological Studies 33. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2000. Sample preparation and scanning protocol for computerised analysis of root length and diameter. Plant and Soil 218: 185–196. , , .
- 1998. High-resolution bulk density images, using calibrated X-ray radiography of impregnated soil slices. Soil Science Society of America Journal 62: 299–305. , .
- 1993. A method for counting roots observed in minirhizotrons and their theoretical conversion to root length density. Plant and Soil 153: 1–6. , , , , .
- 1992. Soil solution phosphate, root uptake kinetics and nutrient acquisition: implications for a patchy soil environment. Oecologia 89: 305–309. , , .
- 2002. Root morphology of contrasting maize genotypes. Agronomy Journal 94: 96–101. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Root contrast enhancement for measurement with optical scanner-based image analysis. Canadian Journal of Botany 79: 23–29. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Subsoil amelioration by plant roots – the process and the evidence. Australian Journal of Soil Research 33: 221–239. , .
- 1996. A comparison of soil core sampling and minirhizotrons to quantify root development of field-grown potatoes. Plant and Soil 182: 301–312. , , .
- 1937. A quantitative study of the roots and root hairs of a winter rye plant (Secale cereale). American Journal of Botany 24: 417–420. .
- 1938. A quantitative study of the subterranean members of three field grasses. American Journal of Botany 25: 654–657. .
- 2002a. Modelling the interactions between water and nutrient uptake and root growth. Plant and Soil 239: 19–38. , , , .
- 2002b. Simulation of field data by a basic three-dimensional model of interactive root growth. Plant and Soil 239: 39–54. , , .
- 1983. Penetration resistance and root growth of oats in tilled and untilled loess soil. Soil and Tillage Research 3: 261–275. , , , .
- 2004. Root recovery of five tropical tree and shrub species by sieves of different mesh sizes. Agroforestry Systems 60: 233–237. .
- 1987. Root length density and water uptake in cereals and grain legumes: how well are they correlated? Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 38: 513–527. , .
- 2003. Effect of bulk density on the spatial organisation of the fungus Rhizoctonia solani in soil. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 44: 45–56. , , , , .
- 1993. A comparison of minirhizotron, core and monolith methods for quantifying barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) and faba bean (Vicia faba L.) root distribution. Plant and Soil 148: 29–41. , .
- 1997. Three dimensional imaging of plant roots in situ with X-ray computed tomography. Plant and Soil 189: 167–179. , , .
- 2004. The plastic plant: root responses to heterogeneous supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 162: 9–24. .
- 1999. Why plants bother: root proliferation results in increased nitrogen capture from an organic patch when two grasses compete. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 811–820. , , , .
- 1996. A global analysis of root distributions for terrestrial biomes. Oecologia 108: 389–411. , , , , , .
- 1997. A global budget for fine root biomass, surface area, and nutrient contents. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 7362–7366. , , .
- 2001. Advancing fine root research with minirhizotrons. Environmental and Experimental Botany 45: 263–289. , , , .
- 2002. Below-ground carbon input to soil is controlled by nutrient availability and fine root dynamics in loblolly pine. New Phytologist 154: 389–398. , , , , , .
- 2003. Modelling cereal root systems for water and nitrogen capture: towards an economic optimum. Annals of Botany 91: 383–390. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Comparison of minirhizotrons and the soil-water-depletion method to determine maize and soybean root length and depth. European Journal of Agronomy 8: 117–125. , , .
- 1992. Root–soil contact of maize, as measured by a thin-section technique. II. Effects of soil compaction. Plant and Soil 139: 119–129. , , , , .
- 1994. Investigations on distribution patterns in soil: basic and relative distributions of roots, channels and cracks. Developments in Soil Science 22: 437–449. , , , , .
- 1995. A comparison of four methods for measuring roots of field crops in three contrasting soils. Plant and Soil 172: 63–71. , , .
- 2001. Relation between maize (Zea mays L.) leaf area and root density observed with minirhizotrons. European Journal of Agronomy 15: 131–141. , .
- 1998. Sieve size effects on root length and biomass measurements of maize (Zea mays) and Grevillea robusta. Plant and Soil 207: 183–193. , , , .
- 1999. Roots in soil: unearthing the complexities of roots and their rhizospheres. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 50: 695–718. .
- 1968. Quantitative studies of roots in soil: I. Length and diameters of cotton roots in a clay-loam soil by the analysis of surface-ground blocks of resin-impregnated soil. Soil Science 106: 16–22. , .
- 1970. Quantitative studies of roots in soil. 2. Analysis of non-random populations. Soil Science 112: 161–166. , .
- 1994. Converting root numbers observed at minirhizotrons to equivalent root length density. Soil Science Society of America Journal 58: 1061–1067. , .
- 2002. Root length growth of eight crop species in Haplustoll soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 66: 913–923. , , .
- 1991. Roots in irrigated clay soils: Measurement techniques and responses to root zone conditions. Irrigation Science 12: 125–134. , .
- 1989. A rapid method for analysis of soil macropore structure. I. Specimen preparation and digital binary image production. Soil Science Society of America Journal 53: 921–928. , , .
- 2000. X-ray absorption and phase contrast imaging to study the interplay between plant roots and soil structure. Plant and Soil 223: 99–115. , , .
- 2004. Fine-root production dominates response of a deciduous forest to atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 9689–9693. , , , , .
- 1991. Review of quantitative root length data in agriculture. In: McMichaelBL, PerssonH, eds. Plant Roots and their Environment. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Elsevier, 515–525. , .
- 1992. Root–soil contact of maize, as measured by a thin-section technique. I. Validity of the method. Plant and Soil 139: 109–118. , , , , .
- 2000. Trench profile techniques and core break methods. In: SmitAL, BengoughAG, EngelsC, NoordwijkM, PellerinS, GeijnSC, eds. Root Methods: A Handbook. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 211–233. , , , , , .
- 2004. Preferential spread of the pathogenic fungus Rhizoctonia solani through structured soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 36: 203–210. , , , , .
- 1993. Using a fine-root extraction device to quantify small-diameter corn roots (≤0.025 mm) in field soils. Plant and Soil 153: 273–279. , , , , .
- 2002. Microbiological and chemical properties of soil associated with macropores at different depths in a red-duplex soil in NSW Australia. Plant and Soil 238: 11–20. , , , .
- 2000. Relationships between soil structure, root distribution and water uptake of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Plant growth and water distribution. European Journal of Agronomy 13: 39–45. , , .
- 1937. Quantitative study of the entire root systems of weed and crop plants under field conditions. Ecology 18: 62–79. .
- 1985. Root distribution in space and time in Trifolium subterraneum. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 36: 601–614. , .
- 1999. Differentiation of soil properties related to the spatial association of wheat roots and soil macropores. Plant and Soil 211: 51–58. , , .
- 2000. Measurement of root length density in intact samples using X-radiography and image analysis. Image Analysis and Stereology 19: 145–149. , , , .
- 2003. Observing plant roots in their environment: current imaging options and specific contribution of two-dimensional approaches. Agronomie 23: 471–479. , , , .
- 2002. Fine roots of trees – a new perspective. New Phytologist 154: 267–273. .
- 1998. Variation in sugar maple root respiration with root diameter and soil depth. Tree Physiology 18: 665–670. , , , , .
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 2000. Auger sampling, ingrowth cores and pinboard methods. In: SmitAL, BengoughAG, EngelsC, NoordwijkM, PellerinS, GeijnSC, eds. Root Methods: A Handbook. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 175–210. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Root observations and measurements at (transparent) interfaces with soil. In: SmitAL, BengoughAG, EngelsC, NoordwijkM, PellerinS, GeijnSC, eds. Root Methods: A Handbook. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 235–271. , , .
- 1984. Carbon utilization and losses by plant root systems. In: BarberSA, BouldenDR, eds. Roots, Nutrient and Water Influx, and Plant Growth. Special Publication no. 49. Madison, WI, USA: American Society of Agronomy, 27–46. .
- 1992. Dynamic root responses to water deficits. Soil Science 154: 281–289. , .
- 1982. Quantitative separation of roots from compacted soil profiles by the hydropneumatic elutriation system. Agronomy Journal 7: 500–503. , , .
- Soil Survey Staff. 1998. Keys to Soil Taxonomy. 7th edn. Washington, DC, USA: USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service, US Government Printing Office.
- 2003. Rapid turnover of hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi determined by AMS microanalysis of C-14. Science 300: 1138–1140. , , , , .
- 1997. The Spatial Distribution of Plant Roots and their Interaction with Soil Structure. PhD thesis, University of Sydney, Australia. .
- 1994. Measurement of root distribution from sections through undisturbed soil specimen. Developments in Soil Science 22: 507–514. , , .
- 1999. Macropore sheath: quantification of plant root and soil macropore association. Plant and Soil 211: 59–67. , , .
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427: 145–148. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Fine root turnover in a northern hardwood forest: a direct comparison of the radiocarbon and minirhizotron methods. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32: 1692–1697. , .
- 1999. An approach to minirhizotron root image analysis. Plant and Soil 217: 183–193. , , , .
- 1992. Root-soil contact of maize, as measured by a thin-section technique: III. Effects on shoot growth, nitrate and water uptake efficiency. Plant and Soil 139: 131–138. , , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of some direct and indirect methods for estimating root biomass and production of forests at an ecosystem level. Plant and Soil 200: 71–89. , , .
- 2001. Marked differences in survivorship among apple roots of different diameters. Ecology 82: 882–892. , .
- 2003. Root growth and water uptake in winter wheat under deficit irrigation. Plant and Soil 257: 151–161. , , , , .
- 1998. Arbuscular mycorrhizal formation in undisturbed soil counteracts compacted soil stress for pigeon pea. Applied Soil Ecology 10: 95–102. , , .
- 2003. Fine roots – discarding flawed assumptions. New Phytologist 160: 276–278. .
- 2004. A generalized function of wheat's root length density distributions. Vadose Zone Journal 3: 271–277. , , , .