Cloning, characterization and functional analysis of novel 6-kestose exohydrolases (6-KEHs) from wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Article first published online: 9 MAR 2005
Volume 166, Issue 3, pages 917–932, June 2005
How to Cite
Van den Ende, W., Yoshida, M., Clerens, S., Vergauwen, R. and Kawakami, A. (2005), Cloning, characterization and functional analysis of novel 6-kestose exohydrolases (6-KEHs) from wheat (Triticum aestivum). New Phytologist, 166: 917–932. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01394.x
- Issue published online: 9 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 9 MAR 2005
- Received: 27 November 2004 Accepted: 12 January 2005
- 2003. Fructans, but not the sucrosyl-galactosides, raffinose and loliose, are affected by drought stress in perennial ryegrass. Plant Physiology 132: 2218–2229. , , , , , .
- 2004. Fructan metabolising enzymes in rhizophores of Vernonia herbacea upon excision of aerial organs. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 42: 313–319. , .
- 1992. Differences in fructan accumulated in induced and field-grown wheat plants: an elongation-trimming pathway for their synthesis. New Phytologist 120: 313–321. , , .
- 1993. Analytical methods for the determination of fructan structure and biosynthesis. In: SuzukiM, ChattertonNJ, eds. Science and Technology of Fructans. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 83–118. , , .
- 2004. Improved prediction of signal peptides: signalP 3.0. Journal of Molecular Biology 340: 783–795. , , , .
- 1988. Extracellular localization of chitinase in cucumber. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 33: 11–16. , .
- 1991. The interpretation of vitro measurements of fructosyl transferase activity: an analysis of patterns of fructosyl transfer by fungal invertase. New Phytologist 118: 23–24. , .
- 1974. Kinetic studies of levansucrase of Bacillus subtilis. European Journal of Biochemistry 41: 285–300. , , .
- 1983. Freezing injury and root development in winter cereals. Plant Physiology 73: 773–777. , , .
- 2004. Secretion of unicellular marine phytoplankton: demonstration of regulated exocytosis in Phaeocystis globosa. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 535–542. , , , .
- 2004. Arabidopsis AtcwIN V3 and 6 are not invertases but are fructan exohydrolases (FEHs) with different substrate specificities. Plant, Cell & Environment doi:10.1111/j.1365-3040.2004.01281.x. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Purification and properties of a second fructan exohydrolase from the roots of Cichorium intybus L. Physiologia Plantarum 106: 28–34. , , , , .
- 2000. Drought induces fructan synthesis and 1-SST (sucrose: sucrose 1-fructosyl transferase) in roots and leaves of chicory seedlings (Cichorium intybus L.). Planta 210: 808–814. , , , .
- 1972. Role and mechanisms of transglycosylation reactions. In: PirasR, PontisHG, eds. Biochemistry of the Glycosidic Linkage. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 21–78. .
- 2000. Vesicle-mediated solute transport between the vacuole and the plasma membrane. Plant Physiology 123: 1217–1226. .
- 1999. Low temperature–wheat–fungal interactions: a carbohydrate connection. Physiologia Plantarum 106: 437–444. , , .
- 1990. Microbial levan. Advances in Applied Biotechnology 35: 171–194. .
- 1993. Evolutionary origins and natural functions of fructans. A climatological, biogeographic and mechanistic appraisal. New Phytologist 123: 3–14. .
- 1997. Structural and sequence-based classification of glycoside hydrolases. Current Opinion in Structural Biology 7: 637–644. , .
- 1998. Characterization of a fructan exohydrolase purified from barley stems that hydrolyzes multiple fructofuranosidic linkages. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry Paris 36: 715–720. , .
- 2002. Specific effects of fructo-and gluco-oligosaccharides in the preservation of liposomes during drying. Glycobiology 12: 103–110. , , , .
- 2003. The preservation of liposomes by raffinose family oligosaccharides during drying is mediated by effects on fusion and lipid phase transitions. Biochimica Biophysica Acta 1612: 172–177. , , , .
- 1998. Expression of a functional sucrose-fructan 6-fructosyl transferase in the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris. FEBS Letters 440: 356–360. , , , , .
- 1993. Production and isolation of levan by use of levansucrase immobilized on the ceramic support SM-10.Bioscience Biotechnology and Biochemistry 57: 322–324. , , , .
- 2002. Molecular characterization of sucrose: sucrose 1-fructosyl transferase and sucrose: fructan 6-fructosyl transferase associated with fructan accumulation in winter wheat during cold hardening. Bioscience Biotechnology and Biochemistry 66: 297–2305. , .
- 2002. Molecular cloning of fructan: fructan fructosyl transferase from wheat. Plant and Cell Physiology 43: S95–S95. , , .
- 2002. Freezing tolerant tobacco, transformed to accumulate osmoprotectants. Plant Science 163: 157–164. , , , .
- 1998. Apoplastic sugars, fructans, fructan exohydrolase, and invertase in winter oat: responses to second-phase cold hardening. Plant Physiology 116: 403–408. , .
- 1993. Structure and quantity of fructan oligomers in oat (Avena spp.). New Phytologist 123: 725–734. , , .
- 1997a. Hydrolysis of fructan in grasses: a β-(2,6)-linkage specific fructan-β-fructosidase from stubble of Lolium perenne. New Phytologist 135: 279–290. , , .
- 1997b. Seasonal variation of fructan-β-fructosidase (FEH) activity and characterization of a β-(2,1)-linkage specific FEH. New Phytologist 135: 267–277. , , .
- 2004. Expression analysis of a chicory fructan 1-exohydrolase gene reveals complex regulation by cold. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1325–1333. , , , .
- 1997. Rise of fructan exohydrolase activity in stubble of Lolium perenne after defoliation is decreased by uniconazole, an inhibitor of the biosynthesis of gibberellins. New Phytologist 136: 81–88. , , , , .
- 2001. Roles of the fructans from leaf sheaths and from the elongating leaf bases in the regrowth following defoliation of Lolium perenne L. Planta 213: 109–120. , , , .
- 2004. Distinct regulation of sucrose: sucrose-1-fructosyltransferase (1-SST) and sucrose: fructan-6-fructosyltransferase (6-SFT), the key enzymes of fructan synthesis in barley leaves: 1-SST as the pacemaker. New Phytologist 161: 735–748. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Changes in soluble carbohydrate composition of barley, wheat and rye during winter. Agronomy Journal 85: 21–29. , .
- 1996. treeview: an application to display phylogenic trees on personal computers. Computer Applications in the Biosciences 12: 357–358. .
- 1999. Transgenic tobacco plants expressing the bacterial levansucrase gene show enhanced tolerance to osmotic stress. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 9: 213–218. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Transgenic tobacco plants accumulating osmolytes show reduced oxidative damage under freezing stress. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 42: 57–63. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Fructans and fructan-metabolizing enzymes in leaves of Lolium perenne. New Phytologist 150: 97–109. , , .
- 1995. Improved performance of transgenic fructan-accumulating tobacco under drought stress. Plant Physiology 107: 125–130. , , , , .
- 1991. Fructan metabolism in grasses and cereals. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 42: 77–101. , .
- 1992. Carbohydrate content, fructan and sucrose enzyme activities in roots, stubble and leaves of ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) as affected by source sink modification after cutting. Journal of Plant Physiology 140: 282–291. , , , .
- 2003. Patterns of fructan synthesized by onion fructan: fructan 6G-fructosyl transferase expressed in tobacco BY2 cells – is fructan : fructan 1-fructosyl transferase needed in onion? New Phytologist 160: 61–67. , , .
- 2000. Sucrose metabolism in spring and winter wheat in response to high irradiance, cold stress and cold acclimation. Physiologia Plantarum 108: 270–278. , , .
- 2003. Roles of cell wall invertases and monosaccharide transporters in the growth and development of Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 525–531. , , , , .
- 1981. Purification and characteristerization of 6G-fructosyl transferase from the roots of asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L.). Carbohydrate Research 96: 281–292. .
- 1989. Properties of fructosyl transferases involved in the synthesis of fructan in Liliaceous plants. Journal of Plant Physiology 134: 151–155. .
- 1999. Purification and enzymic properties of the fructosyl transferase of Streptococcus salivarius ATCC 25975. Biochemical Journal 341: 285–291. , .
- 1995. Purification, cloning, and functional expression of sucrose: fructan 6-fructosyl transferase, a key enzyme of fructan synthesis in barley. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 11652–11656. , , , , .
- 2004. Cloning, functional expression, and characterization of the raffinose oligosaccharide chain elongation enzyme, galactan: galactan galactosyltransferase, from common bugle leaves. Plant Physiology 134: 1377–1387. , , .
- 1997. The clustal X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Research 25: 4876–4882. , , , , .
- 2001. Isolation and structural analysis of new fructans produced by chicory. Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry 20: 375–395. , , , , , .
- 1994. cDNA cloning of carrot (Daucus carota) soluble acid beta-fructofuranosidase and comparison with the cell-wall isoenzyme. Plant Physiology 104: 1351–1357. , , , .
- 1996. Fructan synthesizing and degrading activities in chicory roots (Cichorium intybus L.) during growth, storage and forcing. Journal of Plant Physiology 149: 43–50. , .
- 1996. Purification and characterization of fructan : fructan fructosyl transferase from chicory roots (Cichorium intybus L.). Planta 199: 493–502. , , , , .
- 2000. Cloning and functional analysis of chicory root fructan 1-exohydrolase I (1-FEH I): a vacuolar enzyme derived from a cell wall invertase ancestor? Mass fingerprint of the 1-FEH I enzyme. Plant Journal 24: 447–456. , , , , .
- 2001. Defoliation induces 1-FEH II (fructan 1-exohydrolase II) in witloof chicory roots. Cloning and purification of two isoforms (1-FEH IIa and 1-FEH IIb). Mass fingerprint of the 1-FEH II enzymes. Plant Physiology 126: 1186–1195. , , , , , .
- 2003a. Fructan 1-exohydrolase: β (2,1) trimmers during graminan biosynthesis in stems of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) – Purification, characterization, mass mapping and cloning of two 1-FEH isoforms. Plant Physiology 131: 621–631. , , , , , , .
- 2003b. Unexpected presence of fructan 6-exohydrolases (6-FEHs) in non-fructan plants: characterization, cloning, mass mapping and functional analysis of a novel ‘cell wall invertase-like’ specific 6-FEH from sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.). Plant Journal 36: 697–710. , , , , .
- 2004. Plant fructan exohydrolases: a role in signaling and defense? Trends in Plant Science 9: 523–528. , , .
- 2002. Inulin metabolism in dicots: chicory as a model system. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 803–815. , .
- 2001. Fructans insert between the headgroups of phospholipids. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta Biomembranes 1510: 307–320. , , , , .
- 2004. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray diffraction study of fructan 1-exohydrolase IIa from Cichorium intybus. Acta Crystallographica D 60: 553–554. , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Properties and subcellular localization of fructan hydrolase in the leaves of barley (Hordeum vulgare L. cv. Gerbel). Journal of Plant Physiology 123: 429–439. , .
- 1985. Partial purification and properties of phleinase induced in stem base of orchardgrass after defoliation. Plant Physiology 78: 591–559. , .
- 1999. Carbohydrate metabolism in the stem base of timothy and orchardgrass in winter. Grassland Science 44: 315–319. , , .
- 2004. Activities of fructan- and sucrose-metabolizing enzymes in wheat stems subjected to water stress during grain filling. Planta 220: 331–343. , , , , .
- 2000. Chitinase genes responsive to cold encode antifreeze proteins in winter cereals. Plant Physiology 124: 1251–1263. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Carbohydrate levels among winter wheat cultivars varying in freezing tolerance and snow mold resistance during autumn and winter. Physiologia Plantarum 103: 8–16. , , , .
- 1994. Studies on fructan accumulation in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) 2. Changes in degree of polymerization of fructan under treatment at 1°C in dark. Japanese Journal of Crop Science 63: 430–435. , , .
- 1995. Studies on fructan accumulation in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Japanese Journal of Crop Science 64: 801–806. , , , .
- 2003. Expression of a yeast-derived invertase in companion cells results in long-distance transport of a trisaccharide in an apoplastic loader and influences sucrose transport. Planta 218: 759–766. , , , .