Phylogenetic relationships among A-genome species of the genus Oryza revealed by intron sequences of four nuclear genes
Article first published online: 1 APR 2005
Volume 167, Issue 1, pages 249–265, July 2005
How to Cite
Zhu, Q. and Ge, S. (2005), Phylogenetic relationships among A-genome species of the genus Oryza revealed by intron sequences of four nuclear genes. New Phytologist, 167: 249–265. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01406.x
- Issue published online: 1 APR 2005
- Article first published online: 1 APR 2005
- Received: 15 December 2004 Accepted: 28 January 2005
- 1999. Phylogenetic relationships among Oryza species revealed by AFLP markers. Theoretical and Applied of Genetics 98: 1320–1328. , , , , .
- 1990. Basic local alignment search tool. Journal of Molecular Biology 215: 403–410. , , , , .
- 1999. Potential phylogenetic utility of the low-copy nuclear gene. Pistillata in dicotyledonous plants: comparison to nrDNA ITS and trnL intron in Sphaerocardamum and other Brassicaceae. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 13: 20–30 . , .
- 1995. The ITS region of nuclear ribosomal DNA: a valuable source of evidence on angiosperm phylogeny. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 82: 247–277. , , , , , .
- 1991. Phylogenetic relationships of annual and perennial wild rice probing by direct DNA sequencing. Theoretical and Applied of Genetics 81: 693–702. , , .
- 2001. RAPD, RFLP and SSLP analyses of phylogenetic relationships between cultivated and wild species of rice. Genes and Genetic Systems 76: 71–79. , , , .
- 1999. More characters or more taxa for a robust phylogeny: case study from the coffee family (Rubiaceae). Systematic Biology 48: 413–435. , , , , , .
- 1976. The origin, evolution, cultivation, dissemination, and diversification of Asian and African rice. Euphytica 25: 435–441. .
- 1985. Crop history and genetic conservation: rice-a case study. Iowa State Journal of Research 59: 425–455. .
- 2003. Polyphyletic origin of cultivated rice: based on the interspersion pattern of SINEs. Molecular Biology and Evolution 20: 67–75. , , .
- 2002. Evolutionary relationships among rice species with AA genome based on SINE insertion analysis. Genes and Genetic Systems 77: 323–334. , , , .
- 1970. Introgression across isolating barriers in wild and cultivated Oryza species. Evolution 24: 344–355. , .
- 1997. Can three incongruence tests predict when data should be combined? Molecular Biology and Evolution 14: 733–740. .
- 1996. Phylogenetic utility of histone H3 intron sequences in the perennial relatives of soybean (Glycine: Leguminosae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 6: 438–447. , , .
- 1995. Testing significance of incongruence. Cladistics 10: 315–319. , , , .
- 1985. Confidence limits on phylogeny: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39: 783–791. .
- 2002. Evolutionary dynamics of grass genomes. New Phytologist 154: 15–28. .
- 1996. Substitution rate comparisons between grasses and palms: synonymous rate differences at the nuclear gene Adh parallel rate differences at the plastid gene rbcl. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 10274–10279. , , , .
- 1999a. Phylogeny of rice genomes with emphasis on origins of allotetraploid species. Proceedings of the Natural Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 14400–14405. , , , .
- 1999b. RAPD variation within and between natural populations of wild rice (Oryza rufipogon) from China and Brazil. Heredity 82: 638–644. , , , , .
- 2001. Phylogeny of the genus Oryza as revealed by molecular approaches. In: KhushGS, BrarDS, HardyB, eds. Rice genetics IV. Proceedings of the fourth international rice genetics symposium. Los Banos, The Philippines: IRRI, 89–105. , , , .
- 1986. Evolution of Oryza longistaminata. In: Rice Genetics. Manila, The Philippines: IRRI, 15–25. .
- 2004. Potential phylogenetic utility of the nuclear FLORICAULA/LEAFY second intron: comparison with three chloroplast DNA regions in Amorphophallus (Araceae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 30: 13–23. , , .
- 1985. Dating the human-ape split by a molecular clock of mitochondrial DNA. Journal of Molecular Evolution 22: 160–174. , , .
- 2003. Comparative genetics at the gene and chromosome levels between rice (Oryza sativa) and wildrice (Zizania palustris). Theoretical and Applied of Genetics 107: 773–782. , , , , .
- 2002. Phylogenetic utility of a nuclear intron from nitrate reductase for the study of closely related plant species. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 23: 525–528. , .
- 2001. mrbayes: Bayesian inference of phylogeny. Bioinformatics 17: 754–755. , .
- 1996. Phylogenetic relationships in A-genome species of rice as revealed by RAPD analysis. Genes and Genetic Systems 71: 195–201. , , , .
- 2001. Nuclear- and chloroplast-microsatellite variation in A-genome species of rice. Genome 44: 658–666. , , .
- 1999. P-SINE1-like intron of the CatA catalase homologs and phylogenetic relationships among AA genome Oryza and related species. Theoretical and Applied of Genetics 98: 853–861. , , , , .
- 1998. Taxonomic status of Oryza glumaepatula Steud. I. Comparative morphological studies of New World diploids and Asian AA-genome species. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 45: 197–203. , , .
- 2000. Inter- and intra-specific distribution of Stowaway transposable elements in AA-genome species in rice. Theoretical and Applied of Genetics 101: 327–335. , , , .
- 2000. The evolution of noncoding chloroplast DNA and its application in plant systematics. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 87: 482–498. .
- 1996. When genes tell different stories: the diploid genera of Triticeae (Gramineae). Systematic Botany 21: 321–347. , , .
- 1981. Estimation of evolutionary distances between homologous nucleotide sequences. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 78: 454–458. .
- 2001. mega2.1 molecular e volutionary genetics analysis software. Tempe, AZ, USA: Arizona State University , , , .
- 2000. Preliminary studies on taxonomy and biosystematics of the AA-genome. Oryza species (Poaceae). In: JacobsSWL, EverettJ, eds. Grasses, systematics and evolution. Melbourne, Australia: CSIRO, 51–58. , , , .
- 2002. Genetic differentiation of wild relatives of rice as referred by the RFLP analysis. Theoretical and Applied of Genetics 106: 101–106. , , , .
- 1997. The use of RAPD markers to facilitate the identification of Oryza species within a germplasm collection. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 44: 175–183. , , , , , .
- 1993. Classification and relationships of rice accessions with AA genome by identification of transposable elements at nine loci. Japanese Journal of Genetics 68: 205–217. , , , , .
- 2001. Evolution and domestication of rice. In: KhushGS, BrarDS, HardyB, eds. Rice genetics IV. Proceedings of the fourth international rice genetics symposium. Los Banos, The Philippines: IRRI, 63–78. .
- 1992. Evolutionary studies in cultivated rice and its wild relatives. Oxford Surveys in Evolutionary Biology 8: 135–184. , , .
- 1998. Taxonomic status of Oryza glumaepatula Steud. II. Hybridization between New World diploids and AA genome species from Asia and Australia. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 45: 205–214. , , , .
- 1973. Origin and cytogenetics of rice. Advances in Genetics Incorporating Molecular Genetic Medicine 17: 153–292. .
- 2003. Phylogenetic utility of the second intron of LEAFY in Neillia and Stephanandra (Rosaceae) and implications for the origin of Stephanandra. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 29: 203–215. , .
- 1988. Origin of cultivated rice. Tokyo, Japan: Scientific Societies Press/Academic Press. .
- 1982. Phylogenetic differentiation of cultivated rice. 23. Potentiality of wild progenitors to evolve the indica and japonica types of rice cultivars. Euphytica 31: 41–50. , .
- 2003. Genetic variations of AA genome Oryza species measured by MITE-AFLP. Theoretical and Applied of Genetics 107: 203–209. , , .
- 2002. Molecular evolution and phylogenetic application of DMC1. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 22: 43–50. , .
- 1998. modeltest: testing the model of DNA substitution. Bioinformatics 14: 817–818. , .
- 2003. A comparative study of genetic relationships among the AA-genome Oryza species using RAPD and SSR markers. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 108: 113–120. , , , , .
- 2002. Utility of low-copy nuclear gene sequences in plant phylogenetics. Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 37: 121–147. .
- 1980. Intermediate perennial-annual populations of Oryza perennis found in Thailand and their evolutionary significance. Botany Magazine (Tokyo) 93: 291–305. , , .
- 1982. Origin of the genetic diversity of cultivated rice: study of the polymorphism scored at 40 isozyme loci. Japanese Journal of Genetics 57: 25–57. .
- 1991. Molecular markers in rice systematics and the evaluation of genetic resources. In: BajajYPS, ed. Biotechnology in agriculture and forestry. Berlin Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 14: 468–494. .
- 1997. Congruence and consensus in the cotton tribe (Malvaceae). Systematic Botany 22: 259–290. , , .
- 1998. Choosing an approach and an appropriate gene for phylogenetic analysis. In: SoltisDE, SoltisPS, DoyleJJ, eds. Molecular systematics of plants. II. DNA sequencing. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer, 1–42. , .
- 2000. Contributions of plant molecular systematics to studies of molecular evolution. Plant Molecular Biology 42: 45–75. , .
- 2001. paup: phylogenetic analysis using parsimony (*and other methods), version 4.0b10. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. .
- 1993. Simple methods for testing molecular clock hypothesis. Genetics 135: 599–607. .
- 1997. The clustalx windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Research 24: 4876–4882. , , , .
- 1998. Nuclear ribosomal DNA evidence for a western North American origin of Hawaiian and South American species of Sanicula (Apiaceae). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 235–240. , , .
- 1989. The genus Oryza L. Current status of taxonomy. Manila, The Philippines: IRRI. .
- 2002. Use of the nuclear gene glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate dehydrogenase for phylogeny reconstruction of recently diverged lineages in Mitthyridium (Musci: Calymperaceae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 25: 10–26. .
- 1992. Polymorphism and phylogenetic relationships among species in the genus Oryza as determined by analysis of nuclear RFLPs. Theoretical and Applied of Genetics 83: 565–581. , , .
- 1992. Phylogenetics of the cotton genus (Gossypium L.): character-state weighted parsimony analysis of chloroplast DNA restriction site data and its systematic and biogeographic implications. Systematic Botany 17: 115–143. , .
- 1998. Phylogenetic incongruence: window into genomes history and molecular evolution. In: SoltisDE, SoltisPS, DoyleJJ, eds. Molecular systematics of plants. II. DNA sequencing. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer, 265–296. , .
- 1995. LTR-retrotransposons and MITEs: important players in the evolution of plant genomes. Current Opinion in Genetics and Development 5: 814–821. , , .
- 2001. dambe: Data analysis in molecular biology and evolution. Journal of Heredity 92: 371–373. , .
- 2003. Dual origin of the cultivated rice based on molecular markers of newly collected annual and perennial accessions of wild rice species, Oryza nivara and O. rufipogon. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 50: 529–538. , , , .