Isoprene decreases the concentration of nitric oxide in leaves exposed to elevated ozone
Article first published online: 16 MAR 2005
Volume 166, Issue 2, pages 419–426, May 2005
How to Cite
Velikova, V., Pinelli, P., Pasqualini, S., Reale, L., Ferranti, F. and Loreto, F. (2005), Isoprene decreases the concentration of nitric oxide in leaves exposed to elevated ozone. New Phytologist, 166: 419–426. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01409.x
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 16 MAR 2005
- Received: 14 January 2004 Accepted: 15 February 2005
- 2002. Protection by isoprene against singlet oxygen in leaves. Plant Physiology 129: 269–277. , .
- 2001. Nitric oxide in plants: the history is just beginning. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 267–278. , .
- 2002. Nitric oxide interferes with plant photo-oxidative stress by detoxifying reactive oxygen species. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 737–748. , .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 2003. The functions of nitric oxide-mediated signalling and changes in gene expression during the hypersensitive response. Antioxidants and Redox Signaling 1: 33–41. , , .
- 1998. Nitric oxide functions as a signal in plant disease resistance. Nature 394: 585–588. , , , .
- 2001. Signal interactions between nitric oxide and reactive oxygen intermediates in the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 13454–13459. , , , .
- 1999. Nitric oxide as a signal in plants. Current Opinions in Plant Biology 2: 369–374. , .
- 2000. In vivo imaging of an elicitor-induced nitric oxide burst in tobacco. Plant Journal 23: 817–824. , , , .
- 2003. Nitric oxide production in tobacco leaf celles: a generalized stress response? Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1851–1862. , , , , .
- 1998. Detection and imaging of nitric oxide with novel fluorescent indicators: diaminofluoresceins. Analytical Chemistry 70: 2446–2453. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. A redox-based mechanism fort he neuroprotective and neurodestructive effects of nitric oxide and related nitroso compounds. Nature 364: 626–632. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Biochemistry and physiology of foliar isoprene production. Trends in Plant Science 5: 477–481. , , .
- 2001. Ozone quenching properties of isoprene and its antioxidant role in plants. Plant Physiology 126: 993–1000. , , , , , .
- 2004. Impact of ozone on monoterpene emissions and evidences for an isoprene-like antioxidant action of monoterpenes emitted by Quercus ilex (L.) leaves. Tree Physiology 24: 361–367. , , , .
- 2001. Isoprene produced by leaves protects the photosynthetic apparatus against ozone damage, quenches ozone products, and reduces lipid peroxidation of cellular membranes. Plant Physiology 127: 1781–1787. , .
- 1989. Isoprene emission from aspen leaves. Plant Physiology 90: 267–274. , .
- 1997. De novo biosynthesis of volatiles induced by insect herbivory in cotton plants. Plant Physiology 114: 1161–1167. , .
- 2003. Ozone-induced cell death in Bel W3 plants: the role of programmed cell death in lesion formation. Plant Physiology 133: 1122–1134. , , , , , .
- 2001. The physiology of ozone induced cell death. Planta 213: 682–690. , .
- 1996. Isoprene synthesis by plants and animals. Endeavor 20: 74–78. .
- 2001. Isoprene increases thermotolerance of fosmidomycin-fed leaves. Plant Physiology 125: 2001–2006. , , .
- 1993. Water stress, temperature, and light effects on the capacity for isoprene emission and photosynthesis of kudzu leaves. Oecologia 95: 328–333. , .
- 1995. Why plants emit isoprene. Nature 374: 769. , .
- 2001. Isoprene emission from plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 407–436. , .
- 1997. Isoprene increases thermotolerance of isoprene-emitting species. Plant Physiology 115: 1413–1420. , , , .
- 1993. Nitric oxide protects against cellular damage and cytotoxicity from reactive oxygen species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 90: 9813–9817. , , , , , .
- 1998. Inhibition of the non-mevalonate 1-deoxy-D-xylulose-5-phosphate pathway of plant isoprenoid biosynthesis by fosmidomycin. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung C. 53: 980–986. , , , , , , , .