Gene expression patterns of trembling aspen trees following long-term exposure to interacting elevated CO2 and tropospheric O3
Version of Record online: 8 APR 2005
Volume 167, Issue 1, pages 129–142, July 2005
How to Cite
Gupta, P., Duplessis, S., White, H., Karnosky, D. F., Martin, F. and Podila, G. K. (2005), Gene expression patterns of trembling aspen trees following long-term exposure to interacting elevated CO2 and tropospheric O3. New Phytologist, 167: 129–142. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01422.x
- Issue online: 8 APR 2005
- Version of Record online: 8 APR 2005
- Received: 14 February 2005 Accepted: 16 February 2005
- 1999. Gene structure and expression of aspen cytosolic Cu, Zn-superoxide dismutase (PtSodCc1). Plant Science 143: 151–162. , , , , .
- 2002. DNA microarrays and gene expression from experiment to data analysis and modeling. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1994. Differential expression of glutamine synthetase genes during the senescence of Arabidopsis thaliana rosette leaves. Plant Science 98: 714. , .
- 1998. Impacts of tropospheric ozone and airborne nitrogenous pollutants on natural and seminatural ecosystems: a commentary. New Phytologist 139: 11–23. .
- 1997. Photosynthesis and photorespiration in soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr) chronically exposed to elevated carbon dioxide and ozone. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1843–1852. , , , .
- 2001. Minimum information about a microarray experiment (MIAME) – toward standards for microarray data. Nature Genetics 29: 365–371. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Ozone and forest trees. New Phytologist 139: 123–125. .
- 1998. Photosynthetic acclimation to elevated CO2 is modified by source:sink balance in three component species of chalk grassland swards grown in a free air carbon dioxide enrichment (FACE) experiment. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 159–168. , , .
- 1993. A simple method for isolating RNA from pine trees. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 11: 113–116. , , .
- 2002. Transcriptional profiling reveals novel interactions between wounding, pathogen abiotic stress and hormonal responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 129: 661–677. , , , , , .
- 1995. Differential accumulation of antioxidant mRNAs in Arabidopsis thaliana exposed to ozone. Plant Physiology 109: 203–212. ,
- 2000. Forest atmosphere carbon transfer and storage (FACTS-II). The Aspen Free-air CO2 and O3 Enrichment (FACE) Project: an overview. General technical report NC-214. St Paul, MN, USA: USDA Forest Service North Central Research Station, 68. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. More efficient plants: a consequence of rising atmospheric CO2. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 609–639. , , .
- 2005. Transcript patterns associated with ectomycorrhiza development in Eucalyptus globulus and Pisolithus microcarpus. New Phytologist 165: 599–611. , , , .
- 1997. Photoinhibition and oxidative stress: effects on xanthophyll cycle, scavenger enzymes and abscisic acid content in tobacco plants. Journal of Plant Physiology 151: 422–428. , , , .
- 1998. Cluster analysis and display of genome-wide expression patterns. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 14863–14768. , , ,
- 2001. Leaf area is stimulated in Populus by free air CO2 enrichment (POPFACE), through increased cell expansion and production. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 305–315. , , , , .
- 1999. The global exposure of forests to air pollutants. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 116: 5–32. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Xyloglucan endotransglycosylase, a new wall-loosening enzyme activity from plants. Biochemistry Journal 282: 821–828. , , , , , .
- 1998. Changes in growth CO2 result in rapid adjustments of ribulose-1, 5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase small subunit gene expression in expanding and mature leaves of rice. Plant Physiology 118: 521–529. , , , , .
- 1995. Ozone-induced ethylene emission accelerates the loss of ribulose1, 5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase and nuclear-encoded mRNAs in senescing potato leaves. Plant Physiology 109: 891–898. , , , .
- 1999. Interactions of chronic exposure to elevated CO2 and O3 levels in the photosynthetic light and dark reactions of European beech (Fagus sylvatica). New Phytologist 144: 95–107. , , , , .
- 2001. Growth responses of Populus tremuloides clones to interacting elevated carbon dioxide and tropospheric ozone. Environmental Pollution 115: 359–371. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. KDEL-containing auxin-binding protein is secreted to the plasma membrane and cell wall. Plant Physiology 101: 595–606. , .
- 1999. Effects of tropospheric O3 on trembling aspen and interactions with CO2 results from an O3 gradient and a FACE experiment. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 116: 311–322. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Interacting elevated CO2 and tropospheric O3 predisposes aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.) to infection by rust (Melampsora medusae f.sp. tremuloidae). Global Change Biology 8: 329–338. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Genetic control of responses to interacting O3 and CO2 in Populus tremuloides. Chemosphere 36: 807–812. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Low levels of tropospheric O3 moderate responses of temperate hardwood forests to elevated CO2: a synthesis of results from the Aspen FACE project. Functional Ecology 17: 289–304. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Interannual extremes in the rate of rise of atmospheric carbon dioxide since 1980. Nature 375: 666–670. , , , .
- 2001. Fine root biomass and fluxes of soil carbon in young stands of paper birch and trembling aspen as affected by elevated atmospheric CO2 and tropospheric O3. Oecologia 128: 237–250. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The poplar root transcriptome: analysis of 7000 expressed sequence tags. FEBS Letters 542: 37–41. , , , , .
- 1996. Photosynthetic responses of aspen clones to simultaneous exposures of ozone and CO2. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 26: 639–648. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Modification of rubisco and altered proteolytic activity in O3-stressed hybrid poplar (Populus maximowizii×trichocarpa). Plant Physiology 101: 1355–1362. , .
- 1971. The plastochron index as applied to developmental studies of cottonwood. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 1: 1–11. , .
- Boedtker. 1977. RNA molecular weight determination by gel electrophoresis under denaturing conditions: a critical reexamination. Biochemistry 16: 4743–4751. , JM,
- 1993. Responses of deciduous trees to elevated atmospheric CO2: productivity, phytochemistry and insect performance. Ecology 74: 763–777. , , .
- 1997. CO2-mediated changes in aspen chemistry: effects on gypsy moth performance and susceptibility to virus. Global Change Biology 3: 279–289. , , , , .
- 1994. Molecular analysis of natural senescence in Arabidopsis thaliana. Physiologia Plantarum 92: 322–328. , , , .
- 2001. Improved statistical inference from DNA microarray data using analysis of variance and a bayesian statistical framework. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276: 19937–19944. , , , , , .
- 2001. Isoprene produced by leaves protects the photosynthetic apparatus against ozone damage, quenches ozone products, and reduces lipid peroxidation of cellular membranes. Plant Physiology 127: 1781–1787. , .
- 2000. Beech trees exposed to high CO2 and to simulated summer ozone levels: effects on photosynthesis, chloroplast components and leaf enzyme activity. Physiologia Plantarum 109: 252–259. , , , , , .
- 2002. Competitive status influences tree growth responses to elevated CO2 and O3 in aggrading aspen stands. Functional Ecology 16: 792–801. , , , .
- 1999. Senescence-associated gene expression during ozone-induced leaf senescence in arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 120: 1015–1024. , , .
- 1999. The biochemical and molecular basis for photosynthetic acclimation of elevated atmospheric CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 567–582. , , , .
- 1998. Photosynthesis of two poplar clones contrasting in O3 sensitivity. Trees 12: 196–200. , , , , .
- 1993. Effects of ozone on the photosynthetic apparatus and leaf proteins during leaf development in wheat. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 643–651. , , .
- 2001a. The effect of elevated CO2 and O3 on leaf and branch level photosynthesis and potential plant level carbon gain in aspen. Trees 15: 262–270. , , , , , , .
- 2001b. Stomatal and non-stomatal limitation to photosynthesis in two trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.) clones exposed to elevated CO2 and/or O3. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 327–336. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Tree responses to rising CO2 in field experiments: implications for the future forest. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 683–714. , , , , .
- 2001. Soil fertility limits carbon sequestration by forest ecosystems in a CO2-enriched atmosphere. Nature 411: 469–472. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Ozone-induced oxidative stress: mechanisms of action and reaction. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 264–273. , , .
- 2002. Altered performance of forest pests under atmospheres enriched by CO2 and O3. Nature 6914: 403–407. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Analysis of expressed sequence tags from the ectomycorrhizal basidiomycetes Laccaria bicolor and Pisolithus microcarpus. New Phytologist 159: 117–129. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Role of carbon dioxide in modifying the plant response to ozone. In: LuoY, MooneyHA, eds. Carbon dioxide and environmental stress. New York, USA: Academic Press, 193–213. , .
- 1999. Ozone-induced cell death occurs via two distinct mechanisms in Arabidopsis: the role of salicylic acid. The Plant Journal of Cell and Molecular Biology 17: 603–614. , .
- 2000. Jasmonic acid signaling modulates ozone-induced hypersensitive cell death. The Plant Cell 12: 1633–1646. , , , , .
- 1998. Long-term photosynthetic acclimation to increased atmospheric CO2 concentration in young birch (Betula pendula) trees. Tree Physiology 18: 441–450. , .
- 2000. Differential gene expression in response to mechanical wounding and insect feeding in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 12: 707–719. , , , .
- 2001. Observations of ozone formation in plant plumes and implications for ozone control strategies. Science 292: 719–723. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Peroxidase activity and polyamine changes in response to ozone and simulated acid rain in aleppo pine needles. Environmental and Experimental Botany 35: 417–425. , , , .
- 1996. Responses of antioxidant systems to drought stress in pendunculate oak and maritime pine as modulated by elevated CO2. Plant Physiology 110: 393–402. , , , , , .
- 1998. Antioxidative systems, pigment and protein contents in leaves of adult Mediterranean oak species (Quercus pubescens and Q. ilex) with lifetime exposure to elevated CO2. New Phytologist 140: 411–423. , .
- 1998. Effects of ozone and elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide on carbohydrate metabolism of spruce needles. Catabolic and detoxification pathways. Physiologia Plantarum 102: 605–611. , , , .
- 2003. Moderation of [CO2]-induced gas exchange responses by elevated tropospheric O3 in trembling aspen and sugar maple. Ecologia-Bratislava 22 (Supplement): 304–317. , , , , , , ,
- 2004. The effect of reduced glutathione on morphology and gene expression of white spruce (Picea glauca) somatic embryos. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 695–709. , , , , , ,
- 2004. A Populus EST resource for plant functional genomics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 13951–13956. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Transcriptome analysis of O3-exposed Arabidopsis reveals that multiple signal pathways act mutually antagonistically to induce gene expression. Plant Molecular Biology 53: 443–456. , , , , ,
- 1999. Interpreting patterns of gene expression with self-organizing maps: methods and application to hematopoietic differentiation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 2907–2912. , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Spatial and temporal effects of free-air CO2 enrichment (POPFACE) on leaf growth, cell expansion, and cell production in a closed canopy of poplar. Plant Physiology 1: 177–185. , , , , , .
- 2001. Auxin binding protein: curiouser and curiouser. Trends in Plant Science 6: 586–590. .
- 1999. Photosynthetic adjustment in field grown ponderosa pine trees after six years of exposure to elevated CO2. Tree Physiology 19: 221–228. , , .
- 1998a. Seedlings of five boreal tree species differ in acclimation of net photosynthesis to elevated CO2 and temperature. Tree Physiology 18: 715–726. , , .
- 1998b. Temperature and ontogeny mediate growth response to elevated CO2 in seedlings of five boreal tree species. New Phytologist 140: 197–210. , , .
- 1997. Ozone-induced alterations in thylakoid protein patterns in pumpkin leaves of different age. Phyton 37: 277–282. , , , , , .
- 1997. Effects of ozone on the plasma membrane proteins in Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1205–1211. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Biochemical, molecular and structural analysis of multiple thaumatin-like proteins from the elderberry tree (Sambucus nigra L.). Planta 214: 853–862. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Interaction of elevated CO2 and O3 growth, photosynthesis and respiration of three perennial species grown in low and high nitrogen. Physiologia Plantarum 97: 674–684. , .
- 1996. Variable patterns of antioxidant protection but similar ethene emission differences between ozone-fumigated and control treatments in several ozone-sensitive and ozone-tolerant plant selections. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 754–760. , .
- 1997. Effects of elevated CO2 concentration on photosynthesis, respiration and carbohydrate status of coppice Populus hybrids. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 933–939. , .
- 2003. Flavonoid biosynthesis. A colorful model for genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, and biotechnology. Plant Physiology 126: 485–493. .
- 2002. Ethylene synthesis regulated by biphasic induction of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid synthase and 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid oxidase genes is required for hydrogen peroxide accumulation and cell death in ozone-exposed tomato. Plant Physiology 130: 1918–1926. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of elevated CO2 and O3 on aspen clones varying in O3 sensitivity: can CO2 ameliorate the harmful effects of O3? Environmental Pollution 115: 473–481. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Heterologous array analysis in Pinaceae: hybridization of Pinus taeda cDNA arrays with cDNA from needles and embryogenic cultures of P. taeda, P. sylvestris or Picea abies. Comparative and Functional Genomics 3: 306–318. , , , , , , , , ,