Genetic architecture of qualitative and quantitative Melampsora larici-populina leaf rust resistance in hybrid poplar: genetic mapping and QTL detection
Version of Record online: 19 APR 2005
Volume 167, Issue 1, pages 113–127, July 2005
How to Cite
Jorge, V., Dowkiw, A., Faivre-Rampant, P. and Bastien, C. (2005), Genetic architecture of qualitative and quantitative Melampsora larici-populina leaf rust resistance in hybrid poplar: genetic mapping and QTL detection. New Phytologist, 167: 113–127. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01424.x
- Issue online: 19 APR 2005
- Version of Record online: 19 APR 2005
- Received: 21 January 2005 Accepted: 16 February 2005
- 1994. Zmap – a QTL cartographer. In: SmithC, GavoraJS, BenkelB, ChesnaisJ, FairfullW, GibsonJP, BurnsideEB, eds. 5th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production: Computing Strategies and Software. Guelph, Canada: Organizing Committee, 5th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, 65–66. , , .
- 2002. qtl cartographer, Version 1.15. Raleigh, NC, USA: Department of Statistics. , , .
- 1999. Fluxes and metabolic pools as model traits for quantitative genetics. I. The L-shaped distribution of gene effects. Genetics 153: 2001–2012. , , .
- 2001. Genetic and nongenetic bases for the L-shaped distribution of quantitative trait loci effects. Genetics 157: 1773–1787. , , , , .
- 1964. The analysis of transformations (with discussion). Journal of the Royal Statistical Society 26: 211–252. , .
- 1993. Molecular genetics of growth and development in Populus. I. Triploidy in hybrid poplars. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 86: 301–307. , .
- 1997. Polygenic resistance of pepper to potyviruses consists of a combination of isolate-specific and broad-spectrum quantitative trait loci. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 10: 872–878. , , .
- 1996. Identification of AFLP molecular markers for resistance against Melampsora larici-populina in Populus. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 93: 733–737. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Dense genetic linkage maps of three Populus species (Populus deltoides, P. nigra and P. trichocarpa) based on AFLP and microsatellite markers. Genetics 158: 787–809. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A major QTL for powdery mildew resistance is stable over time and at two development stages in winter wheat. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 103: 962–971. , , , , , .
- 1994. Mapping genes for resistance to barley stripe rust (Puccinia striiformis f. sp. hordei). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 88: 215–219. , , , , , .
- 1994. Empirical threshold values for quantitative trait mapping. Genetics 138: 963–971. , .
- 2004. Characterization of two major genetic factors controlling quantitative resistance to Melampsora larici-populina leaf rust in hybrid poplars: strain-specificity, field expression, combined effects, and relationship with a defeated qualitative resistance gene. Phytopathology 94: 1358–1367. , .
- 2003. Partial resistance to Melampsora larici-populina leaf rust in hybrid poplars: genetic variability in inoculated excised leaf disk bioassay and relationship with complete resistance. Phytopathology 93: 421–427. , , , , .
- 2005. Variability and population biology of Melampsora rusts on poplars. In: PeiM, McCrackenAR, eds. Rust Diseases on Willow and Poplar. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 63–72. , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular and genetic approaches to rust resistance (Melampsora sp.) in Poplar (Populus sp.). In: AhujaMR, BoerjanW, NealeDB, eds. Somatic Cell Genetics and Molecular Genetics of Trees. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic, 249–254. , , , , .
- 1994. Genetic linkage maps of Eucalyptus grandis and Eucalyptus urophylla using a pseudo-testcross mapping strategy and RAPD markers. Genetics 137: 1121–1137. , .
- 1994. High resolution of quantitative trait into multiple loci via interval mapping. Genetics 136: 1447–1455. , .
- 1989. Mapping mendelian factors underlying quantitative traits using RFLP linkage maps. Genetics 121: 185–199. , .
- 1996. Both epistatics and additive effects of QTLs are involved in polygenic resistance to disease: a case study, the interaction pepper –Phytophthora capsici Leonian. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 93: 503–511. , .
- 1994. Intra- and interspecific inheritance of some components of the resistance to leaf rust (Melampsora larici-populina Kleb.) in poplars. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 88: 501–507. , , .
- 1998. A single gene cluster controls incompatibility and partial resistance to various Melampsora larici-populina races in hybrid poplars. Phytopathology 88: 156–163. , , , .
- 1999. Genetic variation of the riparian pioneer tree species Populus nigra. II. Variation in susceptibility to the foliar rust Melampsora larici-populina. Heredity 82: 318–327. , , .
- 2004. Annotation of a 95-kb Populus deltoides genomic sequence reveals a disease resistance gene cluster and novel class I and class II transposable elements. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 109: 10–22. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Quelques indicateurs de la santé des forêts (1989–99). In: Ministère de l’Agriculture et de la Pêche (DERF), eds. La santé des forêts [France] en 1999. Paris: Ministère de l’Agriculture, 16–29. .
- 1998. Association of Mmd1, a major gene for resistance to Melampsora medusae f.sp. deltoidae, with quantitative traits in poplar rust. Phytopathology 88: 114–121. .
- 1996. A major gene for resistance to Melampsora medusae f.sp. deltoidae in a hybrid poplar pedigree. Phytopathology 86: 87–94. , , , .
- 1996. Quantitative resistance to barley leaf stripe (Pyrenophora graminea) is dominated by one major locus. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 93: 97–101. , , , , .
- 1988. Pyramiding major genes for resistance to maintain residual effects. Annual Review of Phytopathology 26: 369–378. , .
- 1993. Susceptibility of P. deltoides Bartr. to Melampsora larici-populina and M. allii-populina. Silvae Genetica 42: 4–5. , .
- 2002. Strategies using genes for non-durable disease resistance. Euphytica 124: 227–236. .
- 2005. Interactions between poplar clones and Melampsora populations and their implications for breeding for durable resistance. In: PeiM, McCrackenAR, eds. Rust Diseases on Willow and Poplar. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 139–154. , .
- 2004. Dissection of quantitative and durable leaf rust resistance in Swiss winter wheat reveals a major resistance QTL in the Lr34 chromosomal region. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 108: 477–484. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Suppressed recombination around the MXC3 locus, a major gene for resistance to poplar leaf rust. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 103: 1129–1137. , , , , .
- 2000. Bulked segregant analysis identifies molecular markers linked to Melampsora medusae resistance in Populus deltoides. Phytopathology 90: 1039–1042. , , , , .
- 2004. Quantitative trait loci analysis suggests that partial resistance to rice blast is mostly determined by race-specific interactions. New Phytologist 162: 197–209. , , .
- 2004. Characterization of microsatellites revealed by genomic sequencing of Populus trichocarpa. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 34: 85–93. , , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular genetics of rust resistance in poplars (Melampsora larici-populina Kleb./Populus sp.) by bulked-segregant analysis in a 2 × 2 factorial mating design. Genetics 143: 531–536. , , , .
- 2004. Genetic and physical mapping of Melampsora rust resistance genes in Populus and characterization of linkage disequilibrium and flanking genomic sequence. New Phytologist 164: 95–105. , , , , , .
- 1996. QTL mapping and quantitative disease resistance in plants. Annual Review of Phytopathology 34: 479–501. .
- 1993. Precision mapping of quantitative traits. Genetics 136: 1457–1468. .
- 2001. Fine mapping and identification of nucleotide binding site/leucine-rich repeat sequences at the Mer locus in Populus deltoides‘S9-2’. Phytopathology 91: 1069–1073. , , , , , , .