Polyphosphate dynamics in mycorrhizal roots during colonization of an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus
Version of Record online: 12 APR 2005
Volume 167, Issue 2, pages 571–578, August 2005
How to Cite
Ohtomo, R. and Saito, M. (2005), Polyphosphate dynamics in mycorrhizal roots during colonization of an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. New Phytologist, 167: 571–578. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01425.x
- Issue online: 12 APR 2005
- Version of Record online: 12 APR 2005
- Received: 30 November 2004 Accepted: 15 February 2005
- 2002. Phosphate activities of arbuscular mycorrhizal intraradical and extraradical mycelium, and their relation to phosphorus availability. Mycological Research 106: 1224–1229. , , .
- 2004. Expression of alkaline phosphatase genes in arbuscular mycorrhizas. New Phytologist 162: 525–534. , , , , .
- 1998. Novel assay reveals multiple pathways regulating stress-induced accumulations of inorganic polyphosphate in Escherichia coli. Journal of Bacteriology 180: 1841–1847. , , , .
- 1999. Evidence that differences in phosphate metabolism in mycorrhizas formed by species of Glomus and Gigaspora might be related to their life-cycle strategies. New Phytologist 142: 531–538. , .
- 1997. Inorganic orthophosphate for diagnosing the phosphorus status of wheat plants. Journal of Plant Nutrition 20: 641–655. , .
- 1996. Working with Mycorrhizas in Forestry and Agriculture. Canberra, Australia: Australian Center for Agricultural Research. , , , , .
- 1978. Detection and estimation of polyphosphate in vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizas. New Phytologist 80: 125–134. , , , .
- 1999. Study of polyphosphate metabolism in intact cells by 31-P nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. In: SchröderHC, MüllerWEG, eds. Inorganic Polyphosphates. Berlin: Springer, 253–271. .
- 1956. Microdetermination of phosphorus. Analytical Chemistry 28: 1756–1758. , , .
- 1980. Translocation and transfer of nutrients in vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizas. III. Polyphosphate granules and phosphorus translocation. New Phytologist 84: 649–659. , , , , .
- 1999. Specific inhibitor and substrate specificity of alkaline phosphatase expressed in the symbiotic phase of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus, Glomus etunicatum. Mycologia 91: 636–641. , , , , .
- 2001. Enzyme activity involved in glucose phosphorylation in two arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: indication that polyP is not the main phosphagen. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 33: 1279–1281. , , .
- 2003. Rapid accumulation of polyphosphate in extraradical hyphae of an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus as revealed by histochemistry and a polyphosphate kinase/luciferase system. New Phytologist 161: 387–392. , , , , .
- 1966. Inorganic polyphosphate in biology: structure, metabolism, and function. Bacteriological Reviews 30: 772–794. .
- Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition. 1997. Methods for Analysis of Soil Environment. Tokyo: Hakuyusha, 267–269 (in Japanese).
- 1997. Uptake of 109Cd by roots and hyphae of a Glomus mosseae/Trifolium subterraneum mycorrhiza from soil amended with high and low concentrations of cadmium. New Phytologist 135: 353–360. , .
- 2004. Possible involvement of hyphal phosphatase in phosphate efflux from intraradical hyphae isolated from mycorrhizal roots colonized by Gigaspora margarita. Mycological Research 108: 610–615. , .
- 1998. Intraradical hyphae phosphatase of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus, Gigaspora margarita. Biology and Fertility of Soils 26: 331–335. , , .
- 2001. Electrophoretic detection and partial purification of the phosphatase specific for arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis. Bulletin of the National Grassland Research Institute 60: 9–18 (in Japanese with English abstract). , , .
- 1999. Inorganic polyphosphate: a molecule of many functions. Annual Review of Biochemistry 68: 89–125. , , .
- 1999. Inorganic polyphosphate kinase is required to stimulate protein degradation and for adaptation to amino acid starvation in Escherichia coli. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 14264–14269. , , , , .
- 2000. New components of a system for phosphate accumulation and polyphosphate metabolism in Saccharomyces cerevisiae revealed by genomic expression analysis. Molecular Biology of the Cell 11: 4309–4321. , , .
- 1999. Genetic improvement of bacteria for enhanced biological removal of phosphate from wastewater. In: SchröderHC, MüllerWEG, eds. Inorganic Polyphosphates. Berlin: Springer, 299–311. , , , .
- 2004. Quantification of polyphosphate: different sensitivities to short-chain polyphosphate using enzymatic and colorimetric methods as revealed by ion chromatography. Analytical Biochemistry 328: 139–146. , , , , .
- 2002. Phosphorus effects on metabolic process in monoxenic arbuscular mycorrhiza cultures. Plant Physiology 130: 1162–1171. , , , , .
- 2004. Inorganic polyphosphate in mitochondria of Saccharomyces cerevisiae at phosphate limitation and phosphate excess. FEMS Yeast Research 4: 643–648. , , .
- 2000. 31 P NMR for the study of P metabolism and translocation in arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Plant and Soil 226: 245–253. , , , , .
- 2002. Inoculation with arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: the status quo in Japan and the future prospects. Plant and Soil 244: 273–279. , .
- 2001. The endopolyphosphatase gene: essential in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 8542–8547. , , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal Symbiosis, 2nd edn. Cambridge, UK: Academic Press. , .
- 2003. Mycorrhizal fungi can dominate phosphate supply to plants irrespective of growth responses. Plant Physiology 133: 16–20. , , .
- 2001. Phosphate efflux from intraradical hyphae of Gigaspora margarita in vitro and its implication for phosphorus translocation. New Phytologist 151: 525–533. , .
- 1999. Polyphosphate in intraradical and extraradical hyphae of an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus, Gigaspora margarita. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 65: 5604–5606. , , , .
- 2004. Phosphate pool dynamics in the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices studied by in vivo31P NMR spectroscopy. New Phytologist 162: 783–794. , , .