Linking leaf and root trait syndromes among 39 grassland and savannah species
Version of Record online: 19 APR 2005
Volume 167, Issue 2, pages 493–508, August 2005
How to Cite
Tjoelker, M. G., Craine, J. M., Wedin, D., Reich, P. B. and Tilman, D. (2005), Linking leaf and root trait syndromes among 39 grassland and savannah species. New Phytologist, 167: 493–508. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01428.x
- Issue online: 19 APR 2005
- Version of Record online: 19 APR 2005
- Received: 14 February 2005 Accepted: 21 February 2005
- 2000. The mineral nutrition of wild plants revisited: a re-evaluation of processes and patterns. Advances in Ecological Research 30: 1–67. ,
- 2000. The McCree–de Wit–Penning de Vries–Thornley respiration paradigms: 30 years later. Annals of Botany 86: 1–20. .
- 2001. Leaf O2 uptake in the dark is independent of coincident CO2 partial pressure. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 2235–2238. , , , .
- 2003. Multiple risk factors in root survivorship: a 4-yr study in Concord grape. New Phytologist 158: 489–501. , , , .
- 2001. Localization of carbonic anhydrase in legume nodules. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 317–326. , , , .
- 2001. Estimating age-dependent costs and benefits of roots with contrasting life span: comparing apples and oranges. New Phytologist 150: 685–695. , , , , , .
- 2002. Measurement carbon dioxide concentration does not affect root respiration of nine tree species in the field. Tree Physiology 22: 67–72. , .
- 2004. Linking fine root traits to maximum potential growth rate among 11 mature temperate tree species. Functional Ecology 18: 388–397. , .
- 2002. Linking root traits to potential growth rate in six temperate tree species. Oecologia 132: 34–43. , , .
- 2003. Functional traits of woody plants: correspondence of species rankings between field adults and laboratory-grown seedlings? Journal of Vegetation Science 14: 311–322. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Covariation in leaf and root traits for native and non-native grasses along an altitudinal gradient in New Zealand. Oecologia 134: 471–478. , .
- 1999. Measurement of leaf longevity of 14 species of grasses and forbs using a novel approach. New Phytologist 142: 475–481. , , , , .
- 2001. The relationships among root and leaf traits of 76 grassland species and relative abundance along fertility and disturbance gradients. Oikos 93: 274–285. , , , , III.
- 2002. Functional traits, productivity and effects on nitrogen cycling of 33 grassland species. Functional Ecology 16: 563–574. , , , , , .
- 2004. The plant traits that drive ecosystems: evidence from three continents. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 295–304. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Leaf life spans in wild perennial herbaceous plants: a survey and attempts at a functional interpretation. Oecologia 89: 10–16. , , .
- 1993. Evolutionary and ecological aspects of photosynthetic pathway variation. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 24: 411–439. , .
- 1997. The ecology of root lifespan. Advances in Ecological Research 27: 1–60. , .
- 2000. Building roots in a changing environment: implications for root longevity. New Phytologist 147: 33–42. , , , .
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 2003. Functional matrix: a conceptual framework for predicting multiple plant effects on ecosystem processes. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 34: 455–485. , III.
- 1999. Relationships between photosynthesis, nitrogen and leaf structure in 14 grass species and their dependence on the basis of expression. New Phytologist 143: 119–129. , , , .
- 2001. Consistency of species ranking based on functional leaf traits. New Phytologist 152: 69–83. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Global patterns of root turnover for terrestrial ecosystems. New Phytologist 147: 13–31. , .
- 1997. Integrated screening validates primary axes of specialization in plants. Oikos 79: 259–281. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Inherent variation in growth rate between higher plants: a search for physiological causes and ecological consequences. Advances in Ecological Research 23: 187–261. , .
- 2002. Predicting changes in community composition and ecosystem functioning from plant traits: revisiting the Holy Grail. Functional Ecology 16: 545–556. , .
- 2001. Leaf gas exchange responses of 13 prairie grassland species to elevated CO2 and increased nitrogen supply. New Phytologist 150: 405–418. , , , .
- 2003. Impacts of fine root turnover on forest NPP and soil C sequestration potential. Science 302: 1385–1387. , , , , .
- 1973. A catalog of the flora of Cedar Creek natural history area, Anoka and Isanti Counties, Minnesota. Minneapolis, MN, USA: Bell Museum of Natural History/University of Minnesota. .
- 1999. Components of leaf dry mass per area – thickness and density – alter leaf photosynthetic capacity in reverse directions in woody plants. New Phytologist 144: 35–47. .
- 1998. Functional and structural convergence of temperate grassland and shrubland ecosystems. Ecological Applications 8: 194–206. , , , , .
- 2003. Plant growth and competition at elevated CO2: on winners, losers and functional groups. New Phytologist 157: 175–198. , .
- 1997. Relationships among root branch order, carbon, and nitrogen in four temperate species. Oecologia 111: 302–308. , , , .
- 1998. Variation in sugar maple root respiration with root diameter and soil depth. Tree Physiology 18: 665–670. , , , , .
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 1997. From tropics to tundra: global convergence in plant functioning. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 13730–13734. , , .
- 1998a. Relationships of leaf dark respiration to leaf nitrogen, specific leaf area and leaf life-span: a test across biomes and functional groups. Oecologia 114: 471–482. , , , , , , .
- 1998b. Photosynthesis and respiration rates depend on leaf and root morphology and nitrogen concentration in nine boreal tree species differing in relative growth rate. Functional Ecology 12: 395–405. , , , , .
- 1999. Generality of leaf trait relationships: a test across six biomes. Ecology 80: 1955–1969. , , , , , , .
- 2001a. Fire and vegetation effects on productivity and nitrogen cycling across a forest–grassland continuum. Ecology 82: 1703–1719. , , , .
- 2001b. Do species and functional groups differ in acquisition and use of C, N and water under varying atmospheric CO2 and N availability regimes? A field test with 16 grassland species. New Phytologist 150: 435–448. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Variation in growth rate and ecophysiology among 34 grassland and savanna species under contrasting N supply: a test of functional group differences. New Phytologist 157: 617–631. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Effects of climate change on plant respiration. Ecological Applications 1: 157–167. .
- 1996. The importance of tissue density for growth and life span of leaves and roots: a comparison of five ecologically contrasting grasses. Functional Ecology 10: 717–723. .
- 1995. Root and leaf attributes accounting for the performance of fast-growing and slow-growing grasses at different nutrient supply. Plant and Soil 170: 251–265. , .
- 1987. The nitrogen use efficiency of C3 and C4 plants. II. Leaf nitrogen effects on the gas exchange characteristics of Chenopodium album (L.) and Amaranthus retroflexus. Plant Physiology 84: 959–963. , .
- 1998. Why do fast- and slow-growing grass species differ so little in their rate of root respiration, considering the large differences in rate of growth and ion uptake? Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 995–1005. , , , , .
- 1988. Plant strategies and the dynamics and structure of plant communities. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 1991. Plant traits and resource reduction for five grasses growing on a nitrogen gradient. Ecology 72: 685–700. , .
- 1999. Changes in leaf nitrogen and carbohydrates underlie temperature and CO2 acclimation of dark respiration in five boreal tree species. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 767–778. , , .
- 2001. Direct inhibition of leaf dark respiration by elevated CO2 is minor in 12 grassland species. New Phytologist 150: 419–424. , , , .
- 1993. Effects of N-supply on the rates of photosynthesis and shoot and root respiration of inherently fast- and slow-growing monocotyledonous species. Physiologia Plantarum 89: 563–569. , , , .
- 2005. Rapid decline in nitrate uptake and respiration with age in fine lateral roots of grape: implications for root efficiency and competitive effectiveness. New Phytologist 165: 493–502. , , , .
- 2000. Root tissue structure is linked to ecological strategies of grasses. New Phytologist 148: 459–471. , .
- 2002. Common slope tests for bivariate errors-in-variables models. Biometrical Journal 44: 161–174. , .
- 2001. Marked differences in survivorship among apple roots of different diameters. Ecology 82: 882–892. , .
- 2002. Plant ecological strategies: some leading dimensions of variation between species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 125–159. , , , , .
- 1999. Specific leaf area and leaf dry matter content as alternative predictors of plant strategies. New Phytologist 143: 155–162. , , .
- 2001. Strategy shifts in leaf physiology, structure and nutrient content between species of high- and low-rainfall and high- and low-nutrient habitats. Functional Ecology 15: 423–434. , , .
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .