Respiratory carbon losses and the carbon-use efficiency of a northern hardwood forest, 1999–2003
Article first published online: 21 APR 2005
Volume 167, Issue 2, pages 437–456, August 2005
How to Cite
Curtis, P. S., Vogel, C. S., Gough, C. M., Schmid, H. P., Su, H.-B. and Bovard, B. D. (2005), Respiratory carbon losses and the carbon-use efficiency of a northern hardwood forest, 1999–2003. New Phytologist, 167: 437–456. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01438.x
- Issue published online: 21 APR 2005
- Article first published online: 21 APR 2005
- Received: 15 January 2005 Accepted: 28 February 2005
- 1984. The role of maintenance respiration in plant-growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 7: 561–569. .
- 2000. The McCree–de Wit–Penning de Vries–Thornley respiration paradigms: 30 years later. Annals of Botany 86: 1–20. .
- 2000. Acclimation of snow gum (Eucalyptus pauciflora) leaf respiration to seasonal and diurnal variations in temperature. the importance of changes in the capacity and temperature sensitivity of respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 15–26. , , .
- 2003. Assessing the eddy covariance technique for evaluating carbon dioxide exchange rates of ecosystems: past, present and future. Global Change Biology 9: 479–492. .
- 1996. Strategies for measuring and modelling carbon dioxide and water vapour fluxes over terrestrial ecosystems. Global Change Biology 2: 159–168. , , , , .
- 2001. FLUXNET. A new tool to study the temporal and spatial variability of ecosystem-scale carbon dioxide, water vapor, and energy flux densities. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 82: 2415–2434. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Factors controlling long- and short-term sequestration of atmospheric CO2 in a mid-latitude forest. Science 294: 1688–1691. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Foliar temperature–respiration response functions for broad-leaved tree species in the southern Appalachians. Tree Physiology 19: 871–878. , , .
- 2003. Rapid temperature acclimation of leaf respiration rates in Quercus alba and Quercus rubra. Tree Physiology 23: 969–976. , , .
- 2004. Component and whole-system respiration fluxes in northern deciduous forests. Tree Physiology 24: 493–504. , , , , .
- 2005. Environmental controls on sap flow in a northern hardwood forest. Tree Physiology 25: 31–38. , , , , .
- 1985. Effect of temperature on the CO2/O2 specificity of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase oxygenase and the rate of respiration in the light – estimates from gas-exchange measurements on spinach. Planta 165: 397–406. , .
- 2003. Field measurements of root respiration indicate little to no seasonal temperature acclimation for sugar maple and red pine. Tree Physiology 23: 273–280. , .
- 2004. Calibrating soil respiration measures with a dynamic flux apparatus using artificial soil media of varying porosity. European Journal of Soil Science 55: 639–647. , .
- 2000. Carbon metabolism of the terrestrial biosphere: a multitechnique approach for improved understanding. Ecosystems 3: 115–130. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Modelling the components of plant respiration: some guiding principles. Annals of Botany 85: 45–54. , .
- 2000. Photosynthetic refixation in branches of Western White Pine. Functional Ecology 14: 300–311. , .
- 1981. Above-ground biomass accumulation and net primary production during the first 70 years of succession in Populus grandidentata stands on poor sites in northern lower Michigan. In: WestDC, ShugartHH, BotkinDB, eds. Forest Succession: Concepts and Application. New York, USA: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1983. Weight and volume equations and tables for red maple in the Lake States. US Forest Service Research Paper NC-242: 14. St Paul, MN, USA: North Central Forest Experiment Station. , .
- 2002. Biometric and eddy-covariance based estimates of annual carbon storage in five eastern North American deciduous forests. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 113: 3–19. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Soil water content and temperature as independent or confounded factors controlling soil respiration in a temperate mixed hardwood forest. Global Change Biology 4: 217–227. , , .
- 2002a. Belowground carbon allocation in forests estimated from litterfall and IRGA-based soil respiration measurements. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 113: 39–51. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002b. Minimizing artifacts and biases in chamber-based measurements of soil respiration. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 113: 21–37. , , , .
- 2002. Stable isotopes in plant ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 507–559. , , , , .
- 2002. Coarse and fine root respiration in aspen (Populus tremuloides). Tree Physiology 22: 725–732. , , .
- 1996. Stem respiration in a closed-canopy upland oak forest. Tree Physiology 16: 433–439. , .
- 2002. An initial intercomparison of micrometeorological and ecological inventory estimates of carbon exchange in a mid-latitude deciduous forest. Global Change Biology 8: 575–589. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Gap filling strategies for defensible annual sums of net ecosystem exchange. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 107: 43–69. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Seasonality of ecosystem respiration and gross primary production as derived from FLUXNET measurements. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 113: 53–74. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A large terrestrial carbon sink in North America implied by atmospheric and oceanic carbon dioxide data and models. Science 282: 442–446. , , , , , , .
- 1999. A comment on the paper by Lee (1998) on micrometeorological observations of surface-air exchange over tall vegetation. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 97: 55–64. .
- 2003. A re-evaluation of long-term flux measurement techniques. Part I: averaging and coordinate rotation. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 107: 1–48. , , , , .
- 2001. Primary productivity of planet earth. biological determinants and physical constraints in terrestrial and aquatic habitats. Global Change Biology 7: 849–882. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Plant respiration in productivity models: conceptualisation, representation and issues for global terrestrial carbon-cycle research. Functional Plant Biology 30: 171–186. .
- 2005. Multi-year convergence of biometric and meteorological estimates of forest carbon storage. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. (In press.) , , , , .
- 1996. Measurements of carbon sequestration by long-term eddy covariance: methods and a critical evaluation of accuracy. Global Change Biology 2: 169–182. , , , , .
- 2000. Separating root and soil microbial contributions to soil respiration: a review of methods and observations. Biogeochemistry 48: 115–146. , , , .
- 2004. Production, respiration, and overall carbon balance in an old-growth Pseudotsuga–Tsuga forest ecosystem. Ecosystems 7: 498–512. , , , , , , .
- 1975. Analysis of carbon flow and productivity in a temperate deciduous forest ecosystem. In: Productivity of World Ecosystems. Washington, DC: Special Committee for the International Biological Program, National Academy of Sciences. , , , , .
- 2005. An analysis of soil respiration across northern hemisphere temperate ecosystems. Biogeochemistry. (In press.) , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Biomass and leaf area equations for northern forest species. New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station University of New Hampshire Research Report 102: 27. Durham, NH, USA: New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station. , .
- 2001. Productivity overshadows temperature in determining soil and ecosystem respiration across European forests. Global Change Biology 7: 269–278. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Tree biomass equations for seven species in southwestern New Brunswick. Canadian Forest Service Maritime Forest Research Center Information Report M-X-114. Fredericton, NB, Canada: Environment Canada, Maritime Forest Research Center. .
- 1960. Effect of settlement on the vegetation of the University of Michigan Biological Station. Papers of the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts, and Letters 45: 77–81. .
- 1975. Primary productivity of forests. In: CooperJP, ed. Photosynthesis and Productivity in Different Environments. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1977. The aboveground biomass and annual net production of bigtooth aspen (Populus grandidentata Michx.) on three soil types in northern lower Michigan. Ann Arbor, MI, USA: University of Michigan, MSc thesis. .
- 1997. Comparing nocturnal eddy covariance measurements to estimates of ecosystem respiration made by scaling chamber measurements at six coniferous boreal sites. Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres 102: 28977–28985. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999a. Below-canopy and soil CO2 fluxes in a ponderosa pine forest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 94: 171–188. , , .
- 1999b. Seasonal and annual respiration of a ponderosa pine ecosystem. Global Change Biology 5: 169–182. , , .
- 1998. On micrometeorological observations of surface-air exchange over tall vegetation. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 91: 39–49. .
- 1999. Long-term observation of the atmospheric exchange of CO2 with a temperate deciduous forest in southern Ontario, Canada. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 104: 15975–15984. , , , .
- 1970. Biological growth functions describe published site index curves for Lake States timber species. US Forest Service Research Paper. NC-36: 12. St Paul, MN, USA: North Central Forest Experiment Station. , .
- 2000. Process-based models for forest ecosystem management: current state of the art and challenges for practical implementation. Tree Physiology 20: 289–298. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The ratio of NPP to GPP: evidence of change over the course of stand development. Tree Physiology 21: 1015–1030. , .
- 2002. Forests, carbon and global climate. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A 360: 1567–1591. , , .
- 2004. Estimating stem respiration in trees by a mass balance approach that accounts for internal and external fluxes of CO2. Tree Physiology 24: 571–578. , .
- 2002. Soil warming and carbon-cycle feedbacks to the climate system. Science 298: 2173–2176. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Apparent respiration and plant productivity. In: BooteKJ, BennettJM, SinclairTR, PaulsonGM, eds. Physiology and Determination of Crop Yield. Madison, WI, USA: American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, Soil Society of America, 251–258. .
- 1998. Scaling xylem sap flux and soil water balance and calculating variance: a method for partitioning water flux in forests. Annales des Sciences Forestieres 55: 191–216. , , , , .
- 2004. Carbon dioxide exchange between an old-growth forest and the atmosphere. Ecosystems 7: 513–524. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Below-ground process responses to elevated CO2 and temperature. a discussion of observations, measurement methods, and models. New Phytologist 162: 311–322. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Allometric biomass estimators for aspen-dominated ecosystems in the Upper Great Lakes. US Forest Service Research Paper. NC-314: 38. St Paul, MN, USA: North Central Forest Experiment Station. , .
- 2003. 12CO2 emission from different metabolic pathways measured in illuminated and darkened C3 and C4 leaves at low, atmospheric and elevated CO2 concentration. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1761–1769. , .
- 2002. Overestimation of respiration rates in commercially available clamp-on leaf chambers. Complications with measurement of net photosynthesis. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1367–1372. , .
- 2002. Within-stem variation of respiration in Pseudotsuga menziesii (Douglas-fir) trees. New Phytologist 154: 359–372. , , .
- 1989. Belowground carbon allocation in forest ecosystems – global trends. Ecology 70: 6–1354. , .
- 1992. The global carbon-dioxide flux in soil respiration and its relationship to vegetation and climate. Tellus Series B 44: 81–99. , .
- 1998. Carbon dioxide efflux from the floor of a boreal aspen forest. I. Relationship to environmental variables and estimates of C respired. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 78: 301–310. , .
- 1996. Foliage, fine-root, woody-tissue and stand respiration in Pinus radiata in relation to nitrogen status. Tree Physiology 16: 333–343. , , , , .
- 1997. Annual carbon cost of autotrophic respiration in boreal forest ecosystems in relation to species and climate. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 102: 28871–28883. , , .
- 2003. Application of eddy covariance measurements to the temperature dependence of soil organic matter mean residence time. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: 1061. , , .
- 1994. Changes in O-horizon mass, thickness and carbon content following fire in northern hardwood forests. Vegetatio 115: 41–50. .
- 1997. Experimental design for flux measurements: matching scales of observations and fluxes. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 87: 179–200. .
- 2003. Ecosystem-atmosphere exchange of carbon dioxide over a mixed hardwood forest in northern lower Michigan. Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres 108: 4417. , , , .
- 1981. Generalized biomass estimation equations for Betula papyrifera Marsh. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 11: 837–840. , .
- 2000. Temperature variations and distribution of living cells within tree stems. implications for stem respiration modeling and scale-up. Tree Physiology 20: 1057–1062. .
- 1963. Corticular photosynthesis and growth in Populus tremuloides. Ecology 44: 581–584. , .
- 1997. Biomass equations for sixty-five North American tree species. Forest Ecology and Management 97: 1–24. , .
- 2001. Responses of leaf respiration to temperature and leaf characteristics in three deciduous tree species vary with site water availability. Tree Physiology 21: 571–578. , , , , , .
- USDA Forest Service. 2001. Forest Inventory Analysis (FIA). Washington, DC, USA: USDA Forest Service.
- 1999. Challenges to modelling NPP in diverse eastern deciduous forests: species-level comparisons of foliar respiration responses to temperature and nitrogen. Ecological Modelling 122: 165–174. , .
- 2004. Seasonal variation in energy and water fluxes in a pine forest. an analysis based on eddy covariance and an integrated model. Ecological Modelling 179: 259–279. , , , .
- 1998. Net primary production of forests: a constant fraction of gross primary production? Tree Physiology 18: 129–134. , , .
- 1999. The impact of growing-season length variability on carbon assimilation and evapotranspiration over 88 years in the eastern US deciduous forest. International Journal of Biometeorology 42: 139–145. , , .
- 1977. Tables and procedures for estimating weights of some Appalacian hardwoods. West Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletin 659: 36. , , , , .
- 2004. Photosynthetic activity of US biomes: responses to the spatial variability and seasonality of precipitation and temperature. Global Change Biology 10: 437–451. , .
- 2000. A simple technique to measure stem respiration using a horizontally oriented soil chamber. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 30: 1555–1560. , , .
- 1980. Weight Tables for Tree and Shrub Species in Maine. Miscellaneous Report no. 230. Orono, ME, USA: University of Maine. , , .