Patterns of variability in the diameter of lateral roots in the banana root system
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2005
Volume 167, Issue 3, pages 841–850, September 2005
How to Cite
Lecompte, F., Pagès, L. and Ozier-Lafontaine, H. (2005), Patterns of variability in the diameter of lateral roots in the banana root system. New Phytologist, 167: 841–850. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01457.x
- Issue published online: 23 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2005
- Received: 24 January 2005 Accepted: 16 March 2005
- 1930. The roots of Musa sapienta L. United Fruits Company Research Bulletin 26: 831–868. .
- 1994. Root elongation rate is accounted for by intercepted PPFD and source-sink relations in field and laboratory grown sunflower. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 443–450. , , .
- 1993. Carbon nutrition, root branching and elongation: can the present state of knowledge allow a predictive approach at a whole plant level? Environmental and Experimental Botany 33: 121–130. , , .
- 1996. An architectural analysis of the elongation of field grown sunflower root systems. Elements for modelling the effects of temperature and intercepted radiations. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 411–420. , .
- 1988. Physiological responses of lupin roots to soil compaction. Plant and Soil 111: 277–281. .
- 1984. The effect of abscisic acid on cell growth, cell division and DNA synthesis in the maize root meristem. Physiologia Plantarum 62: 125–132. , .
- 2000. Mapping meristem respiration of Prunus persica (L.) Batsch seedlings: potential respiration of the meristems, O2 diffusional constraints and combined effects on root growth. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 755–768. , , , .
- 2003. Morphological plasticity of wheat and barley roots in response to spatial variation in soil strength. Plant and Soil 250: 273–282. , .
- 1993. Control of root growth: effects of carbohydrates on the extension, branching, and rate of respiration of different fractions of wheat roots. Physiologia Plantarum 88: 149–158. , .
- 1977. Comparative photosynthesis of sun and shade plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 28: 355–377. .
- 1988. Some effects of nitrate and light intensity on root growth and development. Plant and Soil 106: 291–294. , .
- 1989. Relationship between root elongation rate and diameter and duration of growth of lateral roots of maize. Plant and Soil 119: 271–279. , , .
- 1987. Developmental processes in tree root systems. Canadian Journal of Forestry Research 17: 761–767. .
- 1999. The effect of mechanical impedance on root growth in pea (Pisum sativum). I. Rates of cell flux, mitosis, and strain during recovery. Physiologia Plantarum 107: 277–286. , , .
- 1975. Compensatory growth in cereal root systems. Plant and Soil 42: 673–683. , , .
- 1989. Cause and effect of differences in specific leaf area. In: LambersH, CambridgeML, KoningsH, PonsTL, eds. Causes and consequences of variation in growth rate and productivity of higher plants. The Hague, the Netherlands: SPB Academic Publishing, 125–140. .
- 1987. The effect of soil aggregate size on early shoot and root growth of maize (Zea mays L.). Plant and Soil 103: 251–259. , , .
- 2000. Porosity and soil water properties of Caribbean volcanic ash soil. Soil Use and Management 17: 1–18. , , , .
- 2002. Consequences of root growth kinetics and vascular structure on the distribution of lateral roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1463–1474. .
- 2000. Building roots in a changing environment: implications for root longevity. New Phytologist 147: 33–42. , , , .
- 2000. The control of carbon acquisition by roots. New Phytologist 147: 43–53. , .
- 2002. Characteristics and functions of root systems. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant roots: the hidden half. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 15–34. .
- 2002. Root elongation and branching is related to local hexose concentration in Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1357–1366. , , , .
- 1992. Development correlations between roots in heterogeneous environments. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 463–469. , .
- 1977. Effects of mechanical impedance on root growth in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). I. Effects on the elongation and branching of seminal root axes. Journal of Experimental Botany 28: 96–111. .
- 1968. A study of the root system of barley. I. Effects of nutrition on two varieties. New Phytologist 67: 287–300. .
- 1971. Relations between the dimensions of the barley root system: effect of mutilating the root axes. Australian Journal of Biology Science 24: 1057–1064. .
- 1973. A growth analysis of the young sorghum root system. Australian Journal of Biology Science 26: 1211–1214. .
- 1973. Non parametric statistical methods. New York, NY, USA: Wiley. , .
- 1991. Inter specific differences of the root system structures of four cereal species as affected by soil compaction. Japanese Journal of Crop Science 60: 130–138. , .
- 1993. Maize nodal root ramification: absence of dormant primordia, root classification using histological parameters and consequences on sap conduction. Plant and Soil 153: 125–143. , , , .
- 2001. Root length and diameter measurement using NIH image: application of the line-intercept principle for diameter estimation. Plant and Soil 234: 37–46. , .
- 1983. Influence d’un blocage de l’extrémité du pivot d’un semis de chêne, sur la mophogénèse de son systeme racinaire. Annales des Sciences Forestières 40: 227–250. , , .
- 1994. Développement et polymorphisme racinaire chez de jeunes semis d’hévéa (Hevea brasilensis). Canadian Journal of Botany 72: 924–932. , .
- 1996. Réaction géotropique des différents types de racines chez l’hévéa (Hevea brasiliensis). Canadian Journal of Botany 74: 1910–1918. , .
- 2002. Mise en place de l’architecture racinaire du bananier dans un andosol: effets des contraintes physiques liées au compactage. PhD thesis. Paris, France: Institut National Agronomique Paris-Grignon. .
- 2001. The relationship between static and dynamic variables in the description of root growth. Consequences for field interpretation of rooting variability. Plant and Soil 236: 19–31. , , .
- 2003. An analysis of growth rates and direction of growth of primary roots of field-grown banana trees in an andisol at three levels of soil compaction. Agronomie 23: 209–218. , , .
- 1986. Maximum axial and radial growth pressures of plant roots. Plant and Soil 95: 315–326. , , .
- 1996. Growth and morphology of eucalypt seedling-roots, in relation to soil strength arising from compaction. Plant and Soil 182: 1–11. , .
- 2001. The position of localized soil compaction determines root and subsequent shoot growth responses. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 2127–2133. , , .
- 1999. Does root-sourced ABA have a role in mediating growth and stomatal responses to soil compaction in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum)? Physiologia Plantarum 107: 267–276. , , , , .
- 1998. Spatial distributions of tissue expansion and cell division rates are related to irradiance and to sugar content in the growing zone of maize roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 149–458. , , .
- 1995. Growth patterns of the lateral roots of young oak (Quercus robur) tree seedlings. Relationship with apical diameter. New Phytologist 130: 503–509. .
- 1997. Relationships among root branch order, carbon, and nitrogen in four temperate species. Oecologia 111: 302–308. , , , .
- 1964. Studies on the root of Musa acuminata cv Gros Michel. I. The anatomy and development of main roots. Annals of Botany 28: 475–495. , .
- 1992. Response of plant roots to elevated atmospheric CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 749–752. , , , .
- 1965. Influence of soil density on root development and growth of oats. Plant and Soil 22: 352–374. .
- 1999. Radiation use efficiency. Advances in Agronomy 65: 215–265. , .
- 1992. Root growth and partitioning of 13C labelled photosynthate in the seminal root of corn seedlings as affected by light intensity. Japanese Journal of Crop Science 61: 271–278. , , .
- 1986. Effects of photon irradiance on the growth of shoots and roots, on the rate of initiation of mycorrhizal infection and on the growth of infection units in Trifolium subterraneum L. New Phytologist 103: 375–390. , , , .
- 1996a. Periodicity in the development of the root system of young rubber trees (Hevea brasiliensis Müell. Arg.): relationship with shoot development. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 59–64. , .
- 1996b. Root apical diameter and root elongation rate of rubber seedlings (Hevea brasiliensis) show parallel responses to photoassimilate availability. Physiologia Plantarum 97: 365–371. , .
- 1997. Competition within the root system of rubber seedlings (Hevea brasiliensis) studied by root pruning and blockage. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1451–1459. , .
- 1994. Effect of mechanical impedance on root growth and morphology of two varieties of pea (Pisum sativum L.). New Phytologist 126: 707–713. , .
- 1994. Proximal root diameter as predictor of total root size for fractal branching models. I. Theory. Plant and Soil 164: 107–117. , , .
- 1993. Rates of water uptake into the mature root system of maize plants. New Phytologist 123: 775–786. , .
- 1991. The branch roots of zea. I. First order branches, their number, sizes, and division into classes. Annals of Botany 67: 357–364. , , , .
- 2002. Influence of xylem development on axial hydraulic conductance within Prunus root systems. Trees: Structure and Function 16: 479–487. , , , , .
- 2002. Functional diversity of various constituents of a single root system. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant roots: the hidden half. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 157–174. , .
- 1962. Growth studies of the root of incense cedar, Librocedrus decurrens II. Morphological features of the growth system and root behaviour. American Journal of Botany 49: 237–245. .
- 1977. Effects of mechanical impedance on root growth in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). II. Effects on cell development in seminal roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 28: 1216–1227. , , .
- 1970. Distribution of secondary root growth potential in the root system of Pisum sativum. Canadian Journal of Botany 48: 699–704. , .