Sap flow rates and sapwood density are critical factors in within- and between-tree variation in CO2 efflux from stems of mature Dacrydium cupressinum trees
Article first published online: 16 JUN 2005
Volume 167, Issue 3, pages 815–828, September 2005
How to Cite
Bowman, W. P., Barbour, M. M., Turnbull, M. H., Tissue, D. T., Whitehead, D. and Griffin, K. L. (2005), Sap flow rates and sapwood density are critical factors in within- and between-tree variation in CO2 efflux from stems of mature Dacrydium cupressinum trees. New Phytologist, 167: 815–828. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01478.x
- Issue published online: 16 JUN 2005
- Article first published online: 16 JUN 2005
- Received: 23 January 2005 Accepted: 17 April 2005
- 1989. Respiration and crop productivity. New York, USA: Springer. .
- 2000. Acclimation of snow gum (Eucalyptus pauciflora) leaf respiration to seasonal and diurnal variations in temperature: the importance of changes in the capacity and temperature sensitivity of respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 15–26. , , .
- 2003. Sapwood development in Pinus radiata trees grown for three years at ambient and elevated carbon dioxide partial pressures. Tree Physiology 23: 13–21. , , .
- 1994. Acclimation of respiratory O2 uptake in green tissues of field-grown native species after long-term exposure to elevated atmospheric CO2. Plant Physiology 106: 1163–1168. , , , .
- 2003. A demonstration of the theoretical prediction that sap velocity is related to wood density in the conifer, Dacrydium cupressinum (rimu). New Phytologist 158: 477–488. , .
- 2003. Rapid temperature acclimation of leaf respiration in Quercus alba and Quercus rubra. Tree Physiology 23: 969–973. , , .
- 2004. Large-scale temperature inferences from tree rings: a review. Global and Planetary Change 40: 11–26. , , .
- 1997. Root respiration in citrus acclimates to temperature and slows during drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1411–1420. , , .
- 1997. Stem respiration of ponderosa pines grown in contrasting climates: implications for global climate change. Oecologia 111: 19–25. , , .
- 2002. Regulation of root respiration in two species of Plantago that differ in relative growth rate: the effects of short- and long-term changes in temperature. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1501–1515. .
- 1992. Tree-ring width and maximum latewood density at the North American tree line: parameters of climatic change. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 22: 1290–1296. , , .
- 2002. Stem and branch respiration of beech: from tree measurements to estimations at the stand level. New Phytologist 153: 159–172. , , , , .
- 1996. Stem respiration in a closed canopy upland oak forest. Tree Physiology 16: 433–439. , .
- 1990. Endogenous levels of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and ethylene in stems of Norway spruce trees during one growing season. Trees 4: 150–154. .
- 1993. Seasonal variations of O2, CO2, and ethylene in oak and maple stems. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 23: 2608–2610. .
- 1995. Restricted lateral gas movement in Pinus strobus branches. Trees 10: 83–85. , .
- 1940. The oxygen consumption of isolated woody tissues. American Journal of Botany 27: 234–237. , .
- 1985. Une novelle méthode pour le mesure du flux de sève brute dans le tronc des abres. Annales des Sciences Forestieres 42: 193–200. .
- 1987. Evaluation of transpiration in a Douglas fir stand by means of sap flow measurements. Tree Physiology 3: 309–320. .
- 2001. Trends in wood density and structure are linked to prevention of xylem implosion by negative pressure. Oecologia 126: 457–461. , , , , .
- 2003. Wood properties of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) grown at elevated temperature and carbon dioxide concentration. Tree Physiology 23: 889–897. , , .
- 1975. Relationships between plant surface area and respiration in loblolly pine. Journal of Applied Ecology 12: 965–971. .
- 1995. Wood relative density development in red pine (Pinus resinosa) stands as affected by different initial spacings. Forest Science 41: 709–728. , .
- 1996. Estimating stem maintenance respiration rates for dissimilar balsam fir stands. Tree Physiology 16: 687–695. , , .
- 1997. Growth and maintenance respiration rates of aspen, black spruce, and jack pine stems at northern and southern BOREAS sites. Tree Physiology 17: 543–551. , .
- 1997. Comparing nocturnal eddy covariance measurements to estimate ecosystem respiration made by scaling chamber measurements at six coniferous boreal sites. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 102: 28977–28985. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1981. The seasonal variation in stem and coarse root respiration of a 20-year-old Scots pine. Ecological Bulletin (Stockholm) 32: 165–181. , .
- 2004. A method for estimating stem respiration in trees using a mass balance approach that accounts for internal and external fluxes of CO2. Tree Physiology 24: 571–578. , .
- 2001. Stem growth and respiration in loblolly pine plantation differing in soil resource availability. Tree Physiology 21: 1183–1193. .
- 1998. Effects of temperature and tissue nitrogen on dormant season stem and branch maintenance respiration in a young loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) plantation. Tree Physiology 18: 11–20. , , .
- 1994. Movement of respiratory CO2 in stems of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) seedlings. Tree Physiology 14: 481–495. , , .
- 2003. Functional convergence in plant responses to the environment. Oecologia 134: 1–11. .
- 2002. Scaling relationships for woody tissue respiration in two tropical rain forests. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 963–973. , .
- 1938. Aanding i aeldre Stammer. Forstlige Forsøgsvaesen i Danmark 15: 113–138. , .
- 1978. Daytime depression in bark respiration and radial shrinkage in stem of a standing young Pinus densiflora tree. Journal of the Japanese Forest Society 60: 380. .
- 1979. Bark respiration rate in stem segments detached from young Pinus densiflora trees in relation to velocity of artificial sap flow. Journal of the Japanese Forest Society 61: 88–93. .
- 1995. Community dynamics of the New Zealand conifers. In: EnrightNJ, HillRS, eds. Ecology of the southern conifers. Melbourne, Australia: Smithsonian Institution Press, 81–119. , .
- 1980. Textbook for wood technology, 4th edn. New York, USA: McGraw-Hill. , .
- 2000. Estimating water use by sugar maple trees: considerations when using heat-pulse methods in trees with deep functional sapwood. Tree Physiology 20: 217–228. , , .
- 1996. Radial patterns of xylem sap flow in non-, diffuse- and ring-porous tree species. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 983–990. , , .
- 2002a. Respiratory potential in sapwood of old versus young ponderosa pine trees in the Pacific Northwest. Tree Physiology 22: 105–116. , , .
- 2002b. Within stem variation of respiration in Douglas fir trees. New Phytologist 154: 359–372. , , .
- 2003. Stem respiratory potential in six softwood and four hardwood tree species in the central cascades of Oregon. Oecologia 137: 10–21. , , .
- 2004. Rapid development of phosphorus limitation in temperate rainforests along the Franz Josef soil chronosequence. Oecologia 139: 267–276. , , , , .
- 2000. On the measurement of growth with applications to the modelling and analysis of plant growth. Functional Ecology 14: 244–251. .
- 2001. Linking wood density with tree growth and environment: a theoretical analysis based on the motion of water. New Phytologist 149: 473–485. , .
- 1990. Growth and maintenance respiration in stems of Pinus contorta and Picea engelmannii. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 48–57. .
- 1991. The effect of climate change on plant respiration. Ecological Applications 1: 157–167. .
- 1995. Woody tissue maintenance respiration of four conifers in contrasting climates. Oecologia 101: 133–140. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Annual carbon cast of autotrophic respiration in boreal forest ecosystems in relation to species and climate. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 28871–28882. , , .
- 1994. Dark respiration in pines. Ecological Bulletin (Stockholm) 43: 50–63. , , , .
- 1973. Seasonal fluctuation in respiration of aging xylem in relation to heartwood formation in Pinus radiata. Canadian Journal of Botany 51: 737–741. , .
- 1990. Components of woody tissue respiration in young Abies amabilis trees. Trees 4: 88–98. .
- 1991. Measuring woody tissue respiration and photosynthesis. In: LassoieJP, HinckleyTM, eds. Techniques and approaches in forest trees. Ecophysiology. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 329–355. , .
- 1998. Effect of nitrogen on seasonal course of growth and maintenance respiration in stems of Norway spruce trees. Tree Physiology 18: 155–166. , .
- 2000. Stem water storage capacity and efficiency of water transport: their functional significance in a Hawaiian dry forest. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 99–106. , , .
- 1993. Refixation of xylem sap CO2 in Populus deltoides. Physiologia Plantarum 89: 243–258. , .
- 2002. Carbon dioxide transport in xylem causes errors in estimation of rates of respiration in stems and branches of trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1571–1577. , .
- 2003. Scaling foliar respiration in two contrasting forest canopies. Functional Ecology 17: 101–114. , , , , , .
- 2002. Seasonal respiration of foliage, fine roots, and woody tissues in relation to growth, tissue N, and photosynthesis. Global Change Biology 8: 182–193. , .
- 1985. Forest ecosystems: concepts and management. New York, USA: Academic Press. , .