Fire, rain and the selection of seeder and resprouter life-histories in fire-recruiting, woody plants
Version of Record online: 23 JUN 2005
Volume 168, Issue 1, pages 155–165, October 2005
How to Cite
Ojeda, F., Brun, F. G. and Vergara, J. J. (2005), Fire, rain and the selection of seeder and resprouter life-histories in fire-recruiting, woody plants. New Phytologist, 168: 155–165. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01486.x
- Issue online: 23 JUN 2005
- Version of Record online: 23 JUN 2005
- Received: 12 April 2005 Accepted: 6 May 2005
- 1997. Adaptive inertia caused by hidden pleiotropic effects. Theoretical Population Biology 51: 49–66. , .
- 1967. Ericas in Southern Africa. Cape Town, South Africa: Purnell. , .
- 1999. Underground starch storage in Erica species of the Cape Floristic Region – differences between seeders and resprouters. New Phytologist 144: 143–152. , .
- 1980. Fire and senescent fynbos in the Swartberg, Southern Cape. South African Forestry Journal 114: 67–71. .
- 2003. The evolutionary ecology of sprouting in woody plants. International Journal of Plant Sciences 164: S103–S114. , .
- 1996. Fire and Plants. London, UK: Chapman & Hall. , .
- 1993. The promotion of germination of Cape Erica species by plant-derived smoke. Seed Science and Technology 21: 573–580. , , .
- 2004. Genetic details, optimization and phage life histories. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19: 76–82. , , .
- 1983. Montane plant environments in the Fynbos Biome. Bothalia 14: 283–298. .
- 1998. Lignotuber reserves support regrowth following clipping of two Mediterranean shrubs. Functional Ecology 12: 31–38. , .
- 1991. Resprouting vigour of two Mediterranean shrub species after experimental fire treatments. Vegetatio 95: 119–126. , , .
- 1973. Life-history consequences of natural selection: Cole's result revisited. American Naturalist 107: 791–793. , .
- 1987. Fire and its role in coexistence and speciation in Gondwanan shrublands. South African Journal of Science 83: 106–112. .
- 1992. Endemism and speciation in a lowland flora from the Cape floristic region. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 47: 367–383. , .
- 2002. Heterogeneity, speciation/extinction history and climate: explaining regional plant diversity patterns in the Cape Floristic Region. Diversity and Distributions 8: 163–179. , .
- 2001. Rapid plant diversification: planning for an evolutionary future. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 5452–5457. , .
- 2005. Rainfall reliability, a neglected factor in explaining convergence and divergence of plant traits in fire-prone Mediterranean-climate ecosystems. Global Ecology and Biogeography 14. (In press.) , , , , .
- 1992. Selective regime and time. In: CowlingRM, ed. The Ecology of Fynbos: Nutrients, Fire and Diversity. Cape Town, South Africa: Oxford University Press, 6–22. , , .
- 1999. Demography of a non-resprouting and resprouting Hakea species (Proteaceae) in fire-prone Eucalyptus woodlands of southeastern Australia in relation to stand age, drought and disease. Plant Ecology 144: 71–82. , .
- 1992. Recruitment variability in the resprouting shrub Banksia attenuata and non-sprouting congeners in the northern scrub-heaths of south-western Australia. Acta Oecologica 13: 727–741. , .
- 2002. Population dynamic consequences of Allee effects. Journal of Theoretical Biology 215: 39–46. , .
- 2002. Plant diversity of the Cape region of southern Africa. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 89: 281–302. , .
- 1996. Reproductive ecology of non-sprouting and resprouting species of Hakea (Proteaceae) in southwestern Australia. In: HooperSD, HarveyM, ChappillJ, GeorgeAS, eds. Gondwanan Heritage: Past, Present and Future of the Western Australian Biota. Chipping Norton, Australia: Surrey Beatty & Sons, 239–248. , .
- 1991. Growth and reproductive performance of a seeder and a resprouter species of Boissiaea as a function of plant age after fire. Annals of Botany 67: 497–509. , , .
- 2001. Population mixing and the adaptive divergence of quantitative characters in discrete populations: a theoretical framework for empirical tests. Evolution 55: 459–466. , , .
- 2000. Predicting extinction risks for plants: environmental stochasticity can save declining populations. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15: 516–520. , , .
- 1988. Mathematical Modelling in Ecology. Boston, MA, USA: Birkhäuser. .
- 1997. Convergent seed germination in South African fynbos and Californian chaparral. Plant Ecology 133: 153–167. , .
- 2000. Role of fire in regeneration from seed. In: FennerM, ed. Seeds: the Ecology of Regeneration in Plant Communities, 2nd edn. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 311–330. , .
- 1978. Reproduction of chaparral shrubs after fire: a comparison of sprouting and seeding strategies. American Midland Naturalist 99: 142–161. , .
- 1984. Fire in Fynbos. In: BooysenPV, TaintonNM, eds. Ecological Effects of Fire in South African Ecosystems. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 67–114. , .
- 1995. Biogeography of fire-killed and resprouting Banksia species in south-western Australia. Australian Journal of Botany 42: 283–303. , .
- 1998. Seed production, pollinator attractants and breeding systems of two species pairs in relation to fire response – are there reproductive syndromes? Australian Journal of Botany 46: 377–385. , , .
- 1991. Environmental correlates of patterns of species richness in the south-western Cape Province of South Africa. Journal of Biogeography 18: 509–518. .
- 2003. The radiation of the Cape flora, southern Africa. Biology Review 78: 597–638. .
- 1992. History of the Cape Flora. In: CowlingRM, ed. The Ecology of Fynbos: Nutrients, Fire and Diversity. Cape Town, South Africa: Oxford University Press, 113–134. , , .
- 2003. Responses of Mediterranean plant species to different fire frequencies in Garraf Natural Park (Catalonia, Spain): field observations and modelling predictions. Plant Ecology 167: 223–235. , , .
- 1992. Comparative genet survival after fire in woody Mediterranean species. Oecologia 91: 493–499. , .
- 1992. Survival of eight woody species following an autumn fire in Swartboskloof, Cape Province, South Africa. South African Journal of Botany 58: 405–413. , , .
- 2002. Challenges and opportunities of the optimality approach in plant ecology. Silva Fennica 36: 605–614. , , , , , .
- 1990. Fire and other variables as determinants of forest/fynbos boundaries in the Cape Province. Journal of Vegetation Science 1: 483–490. .
- 2001. Evolutionary optimisation models and matrix games in the unified perspective of adaptive dynmics. Selection 2: 193–210. , , , , .
- 1991. Density-dependent natural selection and trade-offs in life history traits. Science 253: 433–435. , , .
- 1995. On evolutionary stable life histories, optimization and the need to be specific about density dependence. Oikos 74: 218–224. , .
- 1998. Biogeography of seeder and resprouter Erica species in the Cape Floristic Region – Where are the resprouters? Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 63: 331–347. .
- 1991. The Ericoideae (Ericaceae) – a review. Contributions to the Bolus Herbarium 13: 158–208. .
- 1983. Geographical distribution of present-day Cape taxa and their phytogeographical significance. Bothalia 14: 427–440. , , .
- 1994. Optimality models and the test of adaptationism. American Naturalist 143: 361–380. , .
- 1993. Canopy-stored seed banks of Allocasuarina distyla and A. nana in relation to time since fire. Australian Journal of Botany 41: 1–9. , .
- 1990. Optimality theory in evolutionary biology. Nature 348: 27–33. , .
- 2004. Plant functional traits in relation to fire in crown-fire ecosystems. Ecology 85: 1085–1100. , , , .
- 1996. Post-fire mortality and water relations of three congeneric shrub species under extreme water stress – a trade-off with fecundity? Oecologia 107: 53–60. , .
- 1995. Fire-survival strategy – a character of taxonomic, ecological and evolutionary importance in fynbos legumes. Plant Systematics and Evolution 195: 243–259. , , .
- 2003. Suboptimal timing of reproduction in Lobelia inflata may be a conservative bet-hedging strategy. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 16: 233–243. , .
- 1995. Evolution of semelparous and iteroparous perennial plants: comparison between the density-independent and density-dependent dynamics. Journal of Theoretical Biology 173: 5160. .
- 1996. Cederberg vegetation and flora. Strelitzia 3: 1–75. .
- 1989. Recovery patterns of three chaparral shrub species after wildfire. Oecologia 80: 309–320. , .
- 2000. Smoke as a germination cue. Plant Species Biology 15: 167–178. , , , .
- 2002. Root starch storage and allocation patterns in seeder and resprouter seedlings of two Cape Erica (Ericaceae) species. American Journal of Botany 89: 1189–1196. , .
- 2005. Evolutionary transition from resprouter to seeder life-history in two Erica (Ericaceae) species: insights from seedling axillary buds. Annals of Botany 95: 593–599. , .
- 2002. Age at maturity and diversification in woody angiosperms. Evolution 56: 1352–1361. .
- 1992. The climate of Swartboskloof. In: Van WilgenBW, RichardsonDM, KrugerFJ, Van HensbergenHJ, eds. Fire in South African Mountain Fynbos, Ecological Studies 93. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 21–36. , , , , .
- 2004. Sprouting ability across diverse disturbances and vegetation types worldwide. Journal of Ecology 92: 310–320. , .
- 2000. The effect of short fire cycles on the cover and density of understorey sprouting species in South African mountain fynbos. Diversity and Distributions 6: 233–242. , .
- 1985. Coexistence mediated by recruitment fluctuations: a field guide to the storage effect. American Naturalist 125: 769787. , .
- 1996. Genetic versus phenotypic models of selection: can genetics be neglected in a long-term perspective? Journal of Mathematical Biology 34: 533–555. .
- 1969. The relation between mode of reproduction and extent of speciation in woody genera of the California chaparral. Evolution 23: 264–267. .
- 1987. Fire regimes in the Fynbos biome. In: CowlingRM, Le MaitreCD, McKenzieB, Prys-JonesRP, Van WilgenBW, eds. Disturbance and Dynamics of Fynbos Biome Communities. Pretoria, South Africa: South African National Scientific Programmes. report number 135, 6–14. .
- 1991. Ecology and evolution of long-lived semelparous plants. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 6: 285–289. , .
- 1987. Seedling recruitment in obligate-seeding and resprouting Banksia shrubs. Ecology 68: 1984–1992. , .