Root proliferation and seed yield in response to spatial heterogeneity of below-ground competition
Article first published online: 12 SEP 2005
Volume 168, Issue 2, pages 401–412, November 2005
How to Cite
O'Brien, E. E., Gersani, M. and Brown, J. S. (2005), Root proliferation and seed yield in response to spatial heterogeneity of below-ground competition. New Phytologist, 168: 401–412. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01520.x
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2005
- Article first published online: 12 SEP 2005
- Received: 24 March 2005 Accepted: 13 June 2005
- 2004. How plants communicate using the underground information superhighway. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9: 26–32. , , , , .
- 2003. Allelopathy and exotic plant invasion: From molecules and genes to species interactions. Science 301: 1377–1380. , , , , .
- 1994. The effect of neighbors on root distribution in a creosotebush (Larrea tridentata) population. Ecology 75: 1693–1702. , .
- 2003. Lack of relationship between below-ground competition and allocation to roots in 10 grassland species. Journal of Ecology 91: 532–540. .
- 2000. Investigating the relationship between neighbor root biomass and belowground competition: field evidence for symmetric competition belowground. Oikos 90: 311–320. , .
- 2003. The effects of spatially heterogeneous nutrient supply on yield, intensity of competition and root placement patterns in Briza media and Festuca ovina. Functional Ecology 17: 454–463. , , .
- 2003. Self/non-self discrimination in roots. Journal of Ecology 91: 525–531. , , , .
- 1998. Density-dependent habitat selection in plants. Evolutionary Ecology 12: 223–234. , , .
- 2001. Tragedy of the commons as a result of root competition. Journal of Ecology 89: 660–669. , , , , .
- 1997. Root proliferation and marginal patch value. Oikos 79: 387–393. , .
- 1998. What is evolutionary game theory?. In: DugatkinLA, ed. Game theory and animal behavior. New York, USA: Oxford University Press, 3–15. .
- 1968. The tragedy of the commons. Science 162: 1243–1248. .
- 1998. Extensions of ‘the tragedy of the commons’. Science 289: 682–683. .
- 1950. The water culture method for growing plants without soil. Berkeley, CA, USA: California Agricultural Experiment Station, Circular no. 374. , .
- 2003. Root cooperation in a clonal plant: connected strawberries segregate roots. Oecologia 134: 72–77. , .
- 2002. Root exudates: an overview. In: De KroonH, ed. Root ecology. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 235–255. .
- 1993. A model analysis of the influence of root and foliage allocation on forest production and competition between trees. Tree Physiology 12: 119–135. .
- 1991. Root communication among desert shrubs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 874–876. , .
- 1992. Root communication mechanisms and intracommunity distributions of two Mojave Desert shrubs. Ecology 73: 2145–5151. , .
- 1996. Effects of regional origin and genotype on intraspecific root communication in the desert shrub Ambrosia dumosa (Asteraceae). American Journal of Botany 83: 93–98. , .
- 2002. Intra-plant versus inter-plant root competition in beans: Avoidance, resource matching or tragedy of the commons? Journal of Plant Ecology 160: 235–247. , , .
- 2001. Effects of water pulsing on individual performance and competitive hierarchies in plants. Journal of Vegetative Science 12: 199–208. , .
- 1986. Breeding field crops, 3rd edn. New York, USA: Van Nostrand Reinhold. .
- 1999. Spatial root segregation: Are plants territorial? Advances in Ecological Research 28: 145–180. , , .
- 1999. Carbon gain in a multispecies canopy: the role of specific leaf area and photosynthetic nitrogen-use efficiency in the tragedy of the commons. New Phytologist 143: 201–211. , .
- 1984. Contribution of genetic technology to soybean productivity – retrospect and prospect. In: FehrWR, ed. Genetic contribution to yield gains of five major crop plants. CSSA Special Publishers 7. Madison, WI, USA: Crop Science Society of America and American Society of Agronomy, 49–74 . , .
- 2000. The effect of neighbors on the root system of the desert annual Eremobium aegyptiacum. Folia Geobotanica 35: 161–168. , .