Translocation of 15N indicates nitrogen recycling in the mat-forming lichen Cladonia portentosa
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2005
Volume 168, Issue 2, pages 423–434, November 2005
How to Cite
Ellis, C. J., Crittenden, P. D., Scrimgeour, C. M. and Ashcroft, C. J. (2005), Translocation of 15N indicates nitrogen recycling in the mat-forming lichen Cladonia portentosa. New Phytologist, 168: 423–434. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01524.x
- Issue published online: 26 AUG 2005
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2005
- Received: 10 May 2005 Accepted: 17 June 2005
- 1990. Nutrient use efficiency in evergreen and deciduous species from heathlands. Oecologia 84: 391–397. .
- 2000. The mineral nutrition of wild plants revisited: a re-evaluation of processes and patterns. Advances in Ecological Research 30: 1–67. ,
- 1990. Epigeic lichen communities of taiga and tundra regions. Vegetatio 86: 39–70. , .
- 1997. Estimating lichen biomass and caribou grazing on the wintering grounds of northern Québec: an application of fire history and Landsat data. Journal of Applied Ecology 34: 65–78. , , , , .
- 1982. Concentration, mass, and distribution of nutrients in a subarctic Picea mariana–Cladonia alpestris ecosystem. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 12: 947–968. , .
- 1987. Nitrogen-use-efficiency: a biologically meaningful definition? Functional Ecology 1: 293–296. , .
- 1992. Circumpolar Arctic vegetation. In: ChapinFSIII, JefferiesRL, ReynoldsJF, ShaverGR, SvobodaJ, ChuEW, eds. Arctic Ecosystems in a Changing Climate: An Ecophysiological Perspective. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 59–89. , .
- 2002. Functional consequences of nutrient translocation in mycelial fungi. Journal of Theoretical Biology 217: 459–477. , , , , .
- 1993. A new biogeographical classification of the Scottish Uplands. I. Descriptions of vegetation blocks and their spatial variation. Journal of Ecology 81: 207–230. , , .
- 1994. Acid Deposition in the United Kingdom: Data Report, 1993. Abingdon, UK: AEA Technology. , , , , , .
- 1989. The morphological basis of variation in net photosynthesis and respiratory responses of the mat-forming lichen species Stereocaulon virgatum and S. tomentosum. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 167–176. , .
- 1983. The role of lichens in the nitrogen economy of subarctic woodlands: nitrogen loss from the nitrogen-fixing lichen Stereocaulon paschale during rainfall. In: LeeJA, McNeillS, RorisonIH, eds. Nitrogen as an Ecological Factor. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 43–68. .
- 1989. Nitrogen relations of mat-forming lichens. In: BoddyL, MarchantR, ReadDJ, eds. Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Sulphur Utilization by Fungi. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 243–268. .
- 1991. Ecological significance of necromass production in mat-forming lichens. Lichenologist 23: 323–331. .
- 1996. The effect of oxygen deprivation on inorganic nitrogen uptake in an Antarctic macrolichen. Lichenologist 28: 347–354. .
- 1998. Nutrient exchange in an Antarctic macrolichen during summer snowfall–snow melt events. New Phytologist 139: 697–707. .
- 2000. Aspects of the ecology of mat-forming lichens. Rangifer 20: 127–139. .
- 1979. Studies on lichen-dominated systems. XXII. The environmental control of nitrogenase activity in Stereocaulon paschale in spruce–lichen woodland. Canadian Journal of Botany 57: 236–254. , .
- 2002. Growth, nitrogen uptake, and resource allocation in the two tripartite lichens Nephroma arcticum and Peltigera aphthosa during nitrogen stress. New Phytologist 153: 307–315. , , .
- 2004. Organic and inorganic nitrogen uptake in lichens. Planta 219: 459–467. , , , .
- 2003. The natural abundance of 15N in mat-forming lichens. Oecologia 136: 115–123. , , , .
- 2004. Soil as a potential source of nitrogen for mat-forming lichens. Canadian Journal of Botany 82: 145–149. , , .
- 1991. Plant litter: its dynamics and effects on plant community structure. Botanical Review of 57: 1–32. , .
- 2001. Plant Strategies, Vegetation Processes, and Ecosystem Properties, 2nd edn. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons. .
- 1986. The composition and contents of aromatic lichen substances in the genus Cladina. Annales Botanici Fennici 23: 93–106. , .
- 1982. Plant Growth Curves. The Functional Approach to Plant Growth Analysis. London, UK: Edward Arnold. .
- 1998a. Relationships between atmospheric nitrogen inputs and the vertical nitrogen and phosphorus concentration gradients in the lichen Cladonia portentosa. New Phytologist 140: 519–530. , .
- 1998b. Growth of the cushion-forming lichen, Cladonia portentosa, at nitrogen-polluted and unpolluted heathland sites. Environmental and Experimental Botany 40: 67–76. , .
- 1998c. Phosphate uptake in Cladonia portentosa. Lichenologist 30: 297–301. , .
- 2004. Translocation of carbon by Rhizoctonia solani in nutritionally- heterogeneous microcosms. Mycolgical Research 108: 453–462. , , , , , .
- 1995. The Physiology of Fungal Nutrition. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1977. Studies on lichen-dominated systems. XX. An examination of some aspects of the northern boreal lichen woodlands in Canada. Canadian Journal of Botany 55: 393–410. .
- 1971. A technique for measuring the light profile in a lichen canopy. Canadian Journal of Botany 49: 609–611. , .
- 1997. Role of free amino acids in the nitrogen economy of arctic cryptogams. Ecoscience 4: 75–79. .
- 2004. Filamentous fungi: the indeterminate lifestyle and microbial ecology. Microbial Ecology 47: 224–235. , .
- 1994. Water loss from the floor of a subarctic forest. Arctic and Alpine Research 26: 152–158. , .
- 1979. Responses of the phosphatase activity of the lichen Cladina rangiferina to various environmental factors including metals. Canadian Journal of Botany 57: 1534–1540. , .
- 1976. Potential alteration of precipitation chemistry by epiphytic lichens. Oecologia 25: 229–241. , , .
- 1983. Age dependence of photosynthesis in the caribou lichen Cladina stellaris. Plant Physiology 71: 893–895. .
- 1980. Dynamics of the height growth of the hummock dwarf shrubs. Empetrum nigrum L. and Calluna vulgaris (L.) Hull on a raised bog. Annales Botanici Fennici 17: 343–356. .
- 1979. Quantity and quality of the annual production of shoots and flowers by Calluna vulgaris in north-east Scotland. Journal of Ecology 67: 109–129. .
- 1999. Studies of ammonia uptake and loss by lichens. Lichenologist 31: 85–93. , .
- 1983. Diurnal gross photosynthetic patterns and potential seasonal CO2 assimilation in Cladonia stellaris and Cladonia rangiferina. Canadian Journal of Botany 61: 642–655. , , .
- 1980. Nonrandon variation of gas exchange within arctic lichens. Canadian Journal of Botany 58: 1181–1186. , , .
- 1998. Patterns and dynamics of 32P-phosphate and labelled 2-aminoisobutyric acid (14C-AIB) translocation in intact basidiomycete mycelia. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 26: 109–120. , .
- 1981. Nutrient and trace metal content and retention in reindeer lichen carpets of Finnish ombrotrophic bogs. Annales Botanici Fennici 18: 265–274. .
- 1987a. Fungal growth response to carbon and nitrogen limitation: a theoretical model. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 19: 613–620. , .
- 1987b. Fungal growth response to carbon and nitrogen limitation: application of a model to laboratory and field data. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 19: 621–629. , .
- 2003. Guide to GenStat Release 7 1. Oxford, UK: VSN International. , ed.
- 1984. Effect of age changes of Cladina lichen components on their interaction and morphofunctional differentiation of podetium tissue. Izvestiya Akademii Nauk SSSR, Seriya Biologicheskaya 3: 353–361. , .
- 1991. British Plant Communities, Vol. 2. Mires and Heaths. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , ed.
- 1960a. Studies in the physiology of lichens. 1. The effects of starvation and of ammonia absorption upon the nitrogen content of Peltigera polydactyla. Annals of Botany 24: 52–62. .
- 1960b. Studies in the physiology of lichens. 2. Absorption and utilization of some simple organic nitrogen compounds by Peltigera polydactyla. Annals of Botany 24: 172–185. .
- 1980. Mechanisms of nutrient movement between the lichen symbionts. In: CookCB, PappasPW, RudolphED, eds. Cellular Interactions in Symbiosis and Parasitism. Columbus, OH, USA: Ohio State University Press, 197–227. .
- 1987. Reindeer lichen productivity as a function of mat thickness. Arctic and Alpine Research 19: 437–441. .
- 1997. Natural 15N abundance in fruit bodies of ectomycorrhizal fungi from boreal forests. New Phytologist 136: 713–720. , , , , .
- 1976. Experiments with the surface heat and water budgets of the. Canadian Middle North. Tellus 28: 442–450. , .
- 1991. Lichen-rich pinewood, Cladonia ciliata–Pinus sylvestris community in north-eastern Scotland. Botanical Journal of Scotland 46: 73–88. , .
- 2002. Plant ecological strategies: some leading dimensions of variation between species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 125–159. , , , , .