A case study from the interaction of strawberry and Botrytis cinerea highlights the benefits of comonitoring both partners at genomic and mRNA level
Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2005
Volume 168, Issue 2, pages 465–474, November 2005
How to Cite
Mehli, L., Kjellsen, T. D., Dewey, F. M. and Hietala, A. M. (2005), A case study from the interaction of strawberry and Botrytis cinerea highlights the benefits of comonitoring both partners at genomic and mRNA level. New Phytologist, 168: 465–474. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01526.x
- Issue online: 3 AUG 2005
- Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2005
- Received: 4 March 2005 Accepted: 21 June 2005
- 2003. Detection and quantification of Plectosphaerella cucumerina, a potential biological control agent of potato cyst nematodes, by using conventional PCR, real-time PCR, selective media, and baiting. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 4788–4793. , , , , .
- 2004. Oligogalacturonide signal transduction, induction of defense-related responses and protection of grapevine against Botrytis cinerea. Planta 218: 767–774. , , .
- 1996. Application of differential display RT–PCR to the analysis of gene expression in a plant–fungus interaction. Plant Molecular Biology 32: 947–957. , , .
- 1998. Fungal and plant gene expression during synchronised infection of tomato leaves by Botrytis cinerea. European Journal of Plant Pathology 104: 207–220. , , , .
- 1976. Nuclear DNA amounts in Angiosperms. Philosophical transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 274: 227–274. , .
- 1994. Polygalacturonase-inhibiting protein accumulates in Phaseolus vulgaris L. in response to wounding, elicitors and fungal infection. Plant Journal. 5: 625–634. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Polygalacturonase-inhibiting proteins in defense against phytopathogenic fungi. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 295–299. , .
- 2001. The role of polygalacturonase-inhibiting proteins (PGIPs) in defense against pathogenic fungi. Annual Review of Phytopathology 39: 313–335. , , .
- 1999. Composition and enzymatic activity of the extracellular matrix secreted by germlings of Botrytis cinerea. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 65: 404–408. .
- 1995. Adhesion of germlings of Botrytis cinerea. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 61: 260–265. , , , , .
- 1987. A rapid DNA isolating procedure for small quantities of fresh leaf tissue. Phytochemical Bulletin 19: 11–15. , .
- 2003. Tandemly duplicated Arabidopsis genes that encode polygalacturonase-inhibiting protein are regulated co-ordinately by different signal transduction pathways in response to fungal infection. Plant Cell 15: 93–106. , , , , .
- 2002. Quantification of Fusarium solani f. sp., phaseoli in mycorrhizal bean plants and surrounding mycorrhizosphere soil using real-time polymerase chain reaction and direct isolations on selective media. Phytopathology 93: 229–235. , , .
- 1995. Initial infection processes by Botrytis cinerea on nectarine and plum fruit and the development of decay. Phytopathology 85: 83–87. , .
- 1968. Nutrient requirements of suspension cultures of soybean root cells. Experimental Cell Research 50: 151–158. , , .
- 1988. A mechanism for surface attachment on spores of a plant pathogenic fungus. Science 239: 288–290. , , , .
- 2004. Temporal and spatial profiles of chitinase expression by Norway spruce in response to bark colonization by Heterobasidion annosum. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 70: 3948–3953. , , , , , .
- 1977. Botryotinina and Botrytis species. Taxonomy and pathogenicity. Monograph 15. Harrow, Ontario, Canada: Canadian Department for Agriculture. .
- 2004. Molecular cloning, characterisation, and expression analysis of two class II chitinase genes from the strawberry plant. Plant Science 166: 753–762. , .
- 2005. Necrotizing activity of five Botrytis cinerea endopolygalacturonases produced in Pichia pastoris. Plant Journal 43: 213–225. , , , , , .
- 2003. Two Brassica napus polygalacturonase inhibitory protein genes are expressed at different levels in response to biotic and abiotic stress. Planta 217: 299–308. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Isolation and characterisation of a polygalacturonase-inhibiting protein from potato leaves. Accumulation in response to salicylic acid, wounding and infection. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 39: 129–136. , , , .
- 1981. The ultrastructure of interactions between Botrytis species and broad bean leaves. Physiological and Plant Pathology 19: 41–48. , .
- 1990. An improved ergosterol assay to estimate fungal biomass in ectomycorrhizas. Mycological Research 94: 1059–1064. , , .
- 2000. Microtubules are required for motility and positioning of vesicles and mitochondria in hyphal tip cells in Allomyces macrogynes. Fungal Genetics and Biology 31: 233–244. , .
- 2004. A gene encoding a polygalacturonase-inhibitor protein (PGIP) shows developmental regulation and pathogen-induced expression in strawberry. New Phytologist 163: 99–110. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Efficacy of different immunogens for raising monoclonal antibodies to Botrytis cinerea. Mycological Research 104: 979–987. , .
- 2000. Detection and quantification of Botrytis cinerea by ELISA in pear stems during cold storage. Plant Disease 84: 1099–1103. , , .
- 1992. A simple and efficient protocol for isolation of high molecular weight DNA from filamentous fungi, fruit bodies, and infected plant tissue. Nucleic Acids Research 20: 6115–6116. , , , .
- 1996. Differential accumulation of PGIP (polygalacturonase-inhibiting protein) mRNA in two near-isogenic lines of Phaseolus vulgaris L. upon infection with Colletotrichum lindemuthianum. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 48: 83–89. , , , , , .
- 2003. The endopolygalacturonase 1 from Botrytis cinerea activates grapevine defense reactions unrelated to its enzymatic activity. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 16: 553–564. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Quantification of Magnaporthe grisea during infection of rice plants using real-time polymerase chain reaction and northern blot/phosphoimaging analyses. Phytopathology 92: 870–876. , .
- 1995. Oligogalacturonide defense signals in plants: large fragments interact with the plasma membrane in vitro. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 4145–4149. , , , , .
- 1995. Microscopical studies of the infection of gerbera flowers by Botrytis cinerea. European Journal of Plant Pathology 101: 377–386. , .
- 2003. Advances in molecular-based diagnostics in meeting crop biosecurity and phytosanitary issues. Annual Review of Phytopathology 41: 305–324. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Tissue specific expression of the β-glucuronidase reporter gene in transgenic strawberry (Fragaria×ananassa) plants. Plant Cell Reports 21: 313–319. , , .
- 1994. Changes in bacterial and fungal biomass. C, bacterial and fungal biovolume and ergosterol content after drying, remoistening and incubation of different layers of cool temperate forest soils. Soil Biology Biochemistry 26: 1515–1525. , .
- 1994. RNA isolation from recalcitrant plant tissue. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 12: 310–316. , , , , .
- 1988. Nuclear behavior and division in germinating conidia of Botrytis cinerea. Phytopathology 78: 1627–1630. , , .
- 2000. Identification of target amino acids that affect the interaction of fungal polygalacturonases and their plant inhibitors. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 56: 117–130. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Microtubule dynamics during infection-related morphogenesis of Colletotrichum lagenarium. Fungal Genetics and Biology 34: 107–121. , , .
- 1998. The endopolygalacturonase gene Bcpg1 is required for full virulence of Botrytis cinerea. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 11: 1009–1016. , , , .
- 2001. Botrytis cinerea endopolygalacturonase genes are differentially expressed in various tissue. Fungal Genetics and Biology 33: 97–105. , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of polygalacturonases of Botrytis cinerea in vitro and in vivo. Medelingen van de Fakulteit Landbouwkundig Toegepaste Biologie, Wetensschappelijke Universiteit van Gent 59: 895–905. , , .
- 1997. Catalase A from Botrytis cinerea is not expressed during infection on tomato leaves. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 50: 1–15. , , , .
- 1993. Electrophoretic karyotype analysis of Botrytis cinerea. Netherlands Journal of Plant Pathology 99: 119–128. , , .
- 1999. Cloning and characterisation of endopolygalacturonase genes from Botrytis cinerea. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 65: 1596–1602. , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of endopolygalacturonase gene expression in Botrytis cinerea by galacturonic acid, ambient pH and carbon catabolic repression. Current Genetics 37: 152–157. , , , .
- 1999. Gene encoding polygalacturonase inhibitor in apple fruit is developmentally regulated and activated by wounding and fungal infection. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 1231–1241. , , , , , .