Plant–water relations and the fibre saturation point
Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2005
Volume 168, Issue 1, pages 25–37, October 2005
How to Cite
Berry, S. L. and Roderick, M. L. (2005), Plant–water relations and the fibre saturation point. New Phytologist, 168: 25–37. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01528.x
- Issue online: 3 AUG 2005
- Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2005
- Received: 17 March 2005 Accepted: 22 June 2005
- 2003. Sapwood development in Pinus radiata trees grown for three years at ambient and elevated carbon dioxide partial pressures. Tree Physiology 23: 13–21. , , .
- 2005. Components of ecosystem evaporation in a temperature coniferous rainforest, with canopy transpiration scaled using sapwood density. New Phytologist 165: 549–558. , , , , , .
- 2003. A demonstration of the theoretical prediction that sap velocity is related to wood density in the conifer Dacrydium cupressinum. New Phytologist 158: 477–488. , .
- 2003. Liquid-vapor oscillations of water in hydrophobic nanopores. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 7063–7068. , .
- 1977. Problems in the measurement of longitudinal sapwood permeability and hydraulic conductivity. New Zealand Journal of Forest Science 7: 297–306. .
- 1963. The wood-water relationship. In: BrowningBL, ed. The Chemistry of Wood. New York, USA: Interscience, 405–439. .
- 2003. Dynamic changes in hydraulic conductivity in petioles of two savanna tree species: factors and mechanisms contributing to the refilling of embolized vessels. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1633–1645. , , , , .
- 1961. Drought effect on radial growth in the William L Hutcheson Memorial Forest. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club 88: 176–180. , , , .
- 1929. The Structure and Life of Forest Trees, 3rd edn. London, UK: Chapman & Hall. , .
- 1990. What becomes of the transpiration stream? New Phytologist 114: 341–368. .
- 1997. Vessel contents during transpiration – embolisms and refilling. American Journal of Botany 84: 1223–1230. .
- 1958. The sorption of water vapour by the constituents of wood: determination of sorption isotherms. Australian Journal of Applied Science 9: 265–282. , .
- 1973. Timber: its Structure and Properties, 5th edn. London, UK: The Macmillan Press. .
- 1999. Diurnal variation and radial growth of stems in young plantation eucalypts. In: WimmerR, VetterR, eds Tree-Ring Analysis: Biological, Methodological, and Environmental Aspects. Wallingford, UK: CABI publishing, 83–103. , , , , .
- 1976. Tree Rings and Climate. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 2002. Water content and bark thickness of Norway spruce (Picea abies) stems: phloem water capacitance and xylem sap flow. Tree Physiology 22: 613–623. , , , , .
- 1995. Patterns of xylem variation within a tree and their hydraulic and mechanical consequences. In: GartnerBL, ed. Plant Stems: Physiology and Functional Morphology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 125–149. .
- 1875. On the equilibrium of heterogenous substances. Transactions of the Connecticut Academy 3: 108–248. .
- 1934. Diametral changes in tree trunks. Carnegie Institute of Washington Publication 450: 1–103. .
- 1997. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Wood. New York, USA: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2003. Intercellular adhesion and cell separation in plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 977–989. , , .
- 1956. The heat of sorption of water by wood. Australian Journal of Applied Science 7: 160–175. , .
- 1964. Diurnal and seasonal variation in radii of tree stems. Ecology 45: 149–155. , .
- 2003. Thermodynamic analysis of the interaction of the xylem water and phloem sugar solution and its significance for the cohesion theory. Journal of Theoretical Biology 224: 285–298. , .
- 1983. Concentrations of potassium in the dry matter and tissue water of field-grown spring barley and their relationships to grain yield. Journal of Agricultural Science 101: 675–685. , .
- 1985. Nitrogen concentrations in field-grown spring barley: an examination of the usefulness of expressing concentrations on the basis of tissue water. Journal of Agricultural Science 105: 397–406. , .
- 1984. A hypothesis relating critical potassium concentrations for growth to the distribution and functions of this ion in the plant cell. New Phytologist 97: 1–13. , .
- 1961. Thermodynamics, 2nd edn. (Revised by Pitzer KS, Brewer L). New York, USA: McGraw-Hill. , .
- 1992. Plant biomechanics. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1980. Textbook of Wood Technology, 4th edn. New York, USA: McGraw-Hill. , .
- 1994. Physical and Related Properties of 145 Timbers: Information for Practice. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. , .
- 2000. On the measurement of growth with applications to the modelling and analysis of plant growth. Functional Ecology 14: 244–251. .
- 2001. On the use of thermodynamic methods to describe water relations in plants and soil. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 729–742. .
- 2001. Linking wood density with tree growth and environment: a theoretical analysis based on the motion of water. New Phytologist 149: 473–485. , .
- 1999a. A theoretical approach to linking the composition and morphology with the function of leaves. Functional Ecology 13: 683–695. , , , .
- 1999b. On the relationship between the composition, morphology and function of leaves. Functional Ecology 13: 696–710. , , , .
- 2004. New evidence for a role of vessel-associated cells and phloem in the rapid xylem refilling of cavitated stems of Laurus nobilis L. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1065–1076. , , , .
- 1981. Microbiology of wetwood: Importance of pectin degradation and Clostridium species in living trees. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 42: 526–532. , , .
- 1973. Heartwood, discolored wood, and microorganisms in living trees. Annual Review of Phytopathology 11: 197–222. , .
- 1984. Transport Processes in Wood. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1991. Determination of the fibre saturation point in whole wood using differential scanning calorimetry. Wood Science and Technology 25: 301–308. , .
- 1972. Water in Wood. New York, USA: Syracuse University Press. .
- 1988. Wood-Water Relations. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1964. Wood and Cellulose Science. New York, USA: The Ronald Press Co. .
- 1967a. Movement of fluids in wood – Part I: Flow of fluids in wood. Wood Science and Technology 1: 122–141. .
- 1967b. Movement of the fluids in wood – Part II. Diffusion Wood Science and Technology 1: 205–230. .
- 1971. Review of nine methods for determining the fiber saturation points of wood and wood products. Wood Science 4: 114–128. .
- 1937. The bonding force of cellulosic materials for water (from specific volume and thermal data). Journal of Physical Chemistry 41: 1007–1016. , .
- 1935. Thermodynamics of the swelling of wood. Journal of Physical Chemistry 39: 121–132. , .
- 1935. Adsorption compression on cellulose and wood. I. Density measurements in benzene. Journal of Physical Chemistry 39: 133–142. , .
- 2004. Changes in wood density of Eucalyptus camaldulensis due to temperature – the physiological link between water viscosity and wood anatomy. Forest Ecology and Management 193: 157–165. , , .
- 1996. Potassium homeostasis in vacuolate plant cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 10510–10514. , , .
- 1976. Water uptake, storage and transpiration by conifers: A physiological model. In: LangeOL Kappen L, SchulzeE-D, eds. Water and Plant Life. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 189–202. , .
- 1979. The contribution of stored water to transpiration in Scots pine. Plant, Cell & Environment 2: 309–317. , , .
- 2005. The pattern of distribution of pectin, peroxidase and lignin in the middle lamella of secondary xylem fibres in alfalfa (Medicago sativa) Annals of Botany 95: 863–868. , , , .
- 2002. High-resolution analysis of radial growth and wood density in Eucalyptus nitens, grown under different irrigation regimes. Annals of Forest Science 59: 519–524. , , .
- 1987. Climate and Plant Distribution. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2001. Chemical properties associated with bacterial wetwood in red oaks. Wood and Fiber Science 33: 76–83. , , , .
- 2003. Moisture distribution in stems of Acacia mangium, A. auriculiformis and hybrid Acacia trees. JARQ 37: 207–212. , , , , .
- 1989. Wood Variation: Its Causes and Control. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 2000. Frost-induced reversible shrinkage of bark of mature subalpine conifers. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 102: 213–222. , .
- 2001. Dynamics of water storage in mature subalpine Picea abies: temporal and spatial patterns of change in stem radius. Tree Physiology 21: 561–569. , .
- 2000. Stem radius changes and their relation to stored water in stems of young Norway spruce trees. Trees 15: 50–57. , , .
- 2001. Link between diurnal stem radius changes and tree water relations. Tree Physiology 21: 869–877. , , .