The influence of external nitrogen on carbon allocation to Glomus intraradices in monoxenic arbuscular mycorrhiza
Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2005
Volume 168, Issue 3, pages 677–686, December 2005
How to Cite
Olsson, P. A., Burleigh, S. H. and Van Aarle, I. M. (2005), The influence of external nitrogen on carbon allocation to Glomus intraradices in monoxenic arbuscular mycorrhiza. New Phytologist, 168: 677–686. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01532.x
- Issue online: 26 AUG 2005
- Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2005
- Received: 5 April 2005 Accepted: 26 June 2005
- 2001. Microscopic detection of phosphatase activity of saprophytic and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi using a fluorogenic substrate. Mycologia 93: 17–24. , , .
- 1984. The effect of phosphorus on the formation of hyphae in soil by the vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus, Glomus fasciculatum. New Phytologist 97: 437–446. , , .
- 1994. Nitrogen amendments reduce the growth of extramatrical ectomycorrhizal mycelium. Mycorrhiza 5: 7–15. .
- 1975. Polyphosphate in eucalypt mycorrhizas: a cytochemical demonstration. New Phytologist 74: 447–453. , , .
- 1989. The effect of added nitrogen and phosphorus on mycorrhizal growth response and infection in Allium schoenoprasum. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 3227–3232. , .
- 1998. Branched absorbing structures (BAS): a feature of the extraradical mycelium of symbiotic arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 139: 375–388. , , , .
- 2004. Differential morphogenesis of the extraradical mycelium of an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus grown monoxenically on spatially heterogeneous culture media. Mycologia 96: 452–462. , , , , , .
- 2000. Carbon metabolism and transport in arbuscular mycorrhizas. Plant Physiology 124: 949–957. , , .
- 1988. Early events of vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhiza formation on Ri T-DNA transformed roots. New Phytologist 108: 211–218. , .
- 2004. Different nitrogen sources modulate activity but not expression of glutamine synthetase in arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Fungal Genetics and Biology 41: 542–552. , , , , .
- 2001. Relative quantitative RT-PCR to study the expression of plant nutrient transporters in arbuscular mycorrhizas. Plant Science 160: 899–904. .
- 2000. Mineral acquisition by arbuscular mycorrhizal plants. Journal of Plant Nutrition 23: 867–902. , .
- 2002. Arbuscular mycorrhiza on root-organ cultures. Canadian Journal of Botany 80: 1–20. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Phospholipid fatty acid composition, biomass and activity of microbial communities from two soil types experimentally exposed to different heavy metals. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 59: 3605–3617. , , .
- 2003. Allocation of plant carbon to foraging and storage in arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 45: 181–187. , .
- 1995. A phosphate transporter from the mycorrhizal fungus Glomus versiforme. Nature 378: 626–629. , .
- 2002. An arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus accelerates decomposition and acquires nitrogen directly from organic material. Nature 413: 297–299. , , .
- 2001. Large-scale forest girdling showing that current photosynthesis drives soil respiration. Nature 411: 789–792. , , , , , , , , .
- 1979. Phosphorus and formation of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizas. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 11: 501–505. , , .
- 1996. Nitrogen metabolism of external hyphae of the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices. New Phytologist 133: 705–712. , , .
- 1994. Hyphal N transport by a vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus associated with cucumber grown at three nitrogen levels. Plant and Soil 160: 1–9. , , .
- 2003. Nitrogen enrichment alters mycorrhizal allocation at five mesic to semiarid grasslands. Ecology 84: 1895–1908. , , , , .
- 1995. Growth and extracellular phosphatase activity of arbuscular mycorrhizal hyphae as influenced by soil organic matter. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 27: 1153–1159. , .
- 1994. Phosphorylation of the transcription factor PHO4 by a cyclin-CDK complex, PHO80–PHO85. Science 263: 1153–1156. , , , .
- 1996. Interactions between a mycophagous Collembola, dry yeast and external mycelium of an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. Mycorrhiza 6: 259–264. , .
- 1991. Acquisition of phosphorus and copper by VA mycorrhizal hyphae and root-to-shoot transport in white clover. Plant and Soil 136: 49–57. , , .
- 2001. A phosphate transporter gene from the extra-radical mycelium of an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices is regulated in response to phosphate in the environment. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 1140–1148. , , .
- 1978. Phosphorus concentrations in plants responsible for inhibition of mycorrhizal infection. New Phytologist 80: 575–578. , , , , .
- 1973. Plant growth responses to vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza. IV. In soil given additional phosphate. New Phytologist 72: 127–136. .
- 1989. Changes in carbon content, respiration rate, ATP content, and microbial biomass in nitrogen-fertilized pine forest soils in Sweden. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 19: 323–328. , , , .
- 2000. New components of a system for phosphate accumulation and polyphosphate metabolism in Saccharomyces cerevisiae revealed by genomic expression analysis. Molecular Biology of the Cell 11: 4309–4321. , , .
- 1997. Phosphorus effects on the mycelium and storage structures of an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus as studied in the soil and roots by analysis of fatty acid signatures. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 63: 3531–3538. , , .
- 2002a. Foraging and resource allocation strategies of mycorrhizal fungi in a patchy environment. Ecological Studies 157: 93–115. , , .
- 2002b. Phosphorus effects on metabolic processes in arbuscular mycorrhiza on root-organ cultures. Plant Physiology 130: 1162–1171. , , , , .
- 2005. 13C Incorporation into signature fatty acids as an assay for carbon allocation in arbuscular mycorrhiza. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 71: 2592–2599. , , , , .
- 2000. The growth of external AM fungal mycelium in sand dunes and in experimental systems. Plant and Soil 226: 161–169. , .
- 1993. Growth depression in mycorrhizal citrus at high-phosphorus supply. Analysis of carbon cost. Plant Physiology 101: 1063–1071. , , , , .
- 1999. Effects of various organic compounds on growth and phosphorus uptake of an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. New Phytologist 141: 517–524. , , , .
- 2002. Identification of a cDNA from the arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices that is expressed during mycorrhizal symbiosis and up-regulated by N fertilization. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 360–367. , , , , .
- 1975. The effect of foliar-applied phosphate on the mycorrhizal infections of onion roots. In: SandersFE, MosseB, TinkerPB, eds. Endomycorrhizas. London, UK: Academic Press, 261–276. .
- 2003. Mycorrhizal fungi can dominate phosphate supply to plants irrespective of growth responses. Plant Physiology 133: 16–20. , , .
- 1983a. Growth and spatial distribution of nutrient-absorbing organs: selective exploitation of soil heterogeneity. Plant and Soil 71: 487–493. , , .
- 1983b. Association of vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal hyphae with soil organic particles. Ecology 64: 957–959. , , .
- 1969. Use of p-nitrophenyl phosphate for assay of soil phosphatase activity. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 1: 301–307. , .
- 1980. The relationship of mycorrhizal infection to phosphorus induced copper deficiency in sour orange seedlings. New Phytologist 85: 15–23. , .
- 2004. A meta-analysis of mycorrhizal responses to nitrogen, phosphorus, and atmospheric CO2 in field studies. New Phytologist 164: 347–355. .
- 2002. Direct nitrogen and phosphorus limitation of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi: a model and field test. New Phytologist 155: 507–515. , .
- 1995. A phosphate-repressible, high affinity phosphate permease is encoded by the pho-5+ gene of Neurospora crassa. Gene 153: 135–139. .
- 1995. A new hypothesis to explain allocation of dry matter between mycorrhizal fungi and pine seedlings in relation to nutrient supply. Plant and Soil 168–169: 243–248. .
- 1996. Effects of varied soil nitrogen on Norway spruce (Picea abies[L.] Karst.) II. Carbon metabolism in needles and mycorrhizal roots. Plant and Soil 186: 361–369. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Influence of different nutrient regimes on the regulation of carbon metabolism in Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) seedlings. New Phytologist 128: 323–330. , , , , , , .