Regulation of cell length in the Arabidopsis thaliana root by the ethylene precursor 1-aminocyclopropane- 1-carboxylic acid: a matter of apoplastic reactions
Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2005
Volume 168, Issue 3, pages 541–550, December 2005
How to Cite
De Cnodder, T., Vissenberg, K., Van Der Straeten, D. and Verbelen, J.-P. (2005), Regulation of cell length in the Arabidopsis thaliana root by the ethylene precursor 1-aminocyclopropane- 1-carboxylic acid: a matter of apoplastic reactions. New Phytologist, 168: 541–550. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01540.x
- Issue online: 2 SEP 2005
- Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2005
- Received: 4 May 2005 Accepted: 27 June 2005
- 2003. Synergistic interaction of the two paralogous Arabidopsis genes LRX1 and LRX2 in cell wall formation during root hair development. Plant Journal 35: 71–81. , , , , .
- 1993. Root development in Arabidopsis: four mutants with dramatically altered root morphogenesis. Development 119: 57–70. , , , , , .
- 1997. Localisation of hydrogen peroxide accumulation during the hypersensitive reaction of lettuce cells to Pseudomonas syringae pv. phaeolicola. Plant Cell 9: 209–221. , , , .
- 1990. Solubilization of covalently bound extensin from Capsicum cell walls. Plant Physiology 92: 197–204. , .
- 2001. Anoxic stress leads to hydrogen peroxide formation in plant cells. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1179–1190. , , .
- 2003. Antioxidants, oxidative damage and oxygen deprivation stress: a review. Annals of Botany 91: 179–194. , , .
- 2002. The apoplastic oxidative burst in response to biotic stress in plants: a three-component system. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1367–1376. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Elicitor- and wound induced oxidative cross-linking of a proline-rich plant cell wall protein: a novel, rapid defense response. Cell 70: 21–30. , , .
- 1997. Formation of di-isodityrosine and loss of isodityrosine in the cell walls of tomato cell-suspension cultures treated with fungal elicitors and H2O2. Plant Physiology 115: 87–92. , .
- 1996. Di-isodityrosine, a novel tetrameric derivative of tyrosine in plant cell wall proteins: a new potential cross-links. Journal of Biochemistry 315: 323–327. , , .
- 1994. Function of oxidative cross-linking of cell wall structural proteins in plant disease resistance. Plant Cell 6: 1703–1712. , , .
- 2000. Role of extensin peroxidase in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) seedling growth. Planta 210: 668–676. , , , , , .
- 1993. Structural models of primary cell walls in flowering plants: consistency of molecular structure with the physical properties of the walls during growth. Plant Journal 3: 1–30. , .
- 1996. Role of apoplastic and cell-wall peroxidases on the stimulation of root elongation by ascorbate. Plant Physiology 112: 1119–1125. , , , , .
- 1997. Relaxation in a high-stress environment: the molecular bases of extensible cell walls and cell enlargement. Plant Cell 9: 1031–1041. .
- 1999. Enzymes and other agents that enhance cell wall extensibility. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 50: 391–417. .
- 1991. Ascorbic acid utilization by prolyl hydroxylase in vivo. Phytochemistry 30: 1397–1399. , , , .
- 1999. Changes in onion root development induced by the inhibition of peptidyl-prolyl hydroxylase and influence of the ascorbate system on cell division and elongation. Planta 209: 424–434. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Resistance against herbicide isoxaben and cellulose deficiency caused by distinct mutations in same cellulose synthase isoform CESA6. Plant Physiology 128: 482–490. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Cellular organisation of the Arabidopsis thaliana root. Development 119: 71–84. , , , , , , .
- 1984. An intramolecular linkage involving isodityrosine in extensin. Phytochemistry 23: 1241–1246. , .
- 2003. Reactive oxygen species produced by NADPH oxidase regulate plant cell growth. Nature 422: 442–446. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Genetic analysis of the effects of polar auxin transport inhibitors on root growth in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiology 37: 1094–1101. , .
- 1991. Aluminium decreases root growth and calcium and magnesium uptake in Picea abies seedlings. In: WrightRJ, BaligarVC, MurrmanRP, eds. Plant–soil interactions at low pH. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 747–753. .
- 1991. Use of root elongation studies to determine aluminium and lead toxicity in Picea abies seedlings. Journal of Plant Physiology 138: 231–235. , .
- 2003. Study of aluminium toxicity by means of vital staining profiles in four cultivars of Phaseolus vulgaris L. Journal of Plant Physiology 160: 1447–1450. , , .
- 1995. Conditional root expansion mutants of Arabidopsis. Development 121: 1237–1252. , , .
- 2002. Fucosylated arabinogalactan proteins are required for full root cell elongation in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 32: 105–113. , .
- 1994. Covalent cross-links in the cell wall. Plant Physiology 104: 315–320. , , .
- 2003. An Arabidopsis callose synthase, GSL5, is required for wound and papillary callose formation. Plant Cell 15: 2503–2513. , , , , , .
- 2002. Water stress-induced abscisic acid accumulation triggers the increased generation of reactive oxygen species and up-regulated the activities of antioxidant enzymes in maize leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 2401–2410. , .
- 2001. Role of auxin-induced reactive oxygen species in root gravitropism. Plant Physiology 126: 1055–1060. , , .
- 2000. Hyperpolarisation-activated calcium currents found only in cells from the elongation zone of Arabidopsis thaliana roots. Plant Journal 21: 225–229. , , , .
- 1994. Extensin: repetitive motifs, functional sites, posttranslational codes, and phylogeny. Plant Journal 5: 157–172. , .
- 1997. Oxidative cross-linking of plasma membrane arabinogalactan proteins. Plant Journal 12: 1189–1196. , , , , , .
- 1995. The extracellular matrix in higher plants. Developmentally regulated proteoglycans and glycoproteins of the plant cell surface. FASEB Journal 9: 1004–1012. .
- 1997. The oxidative burst in plant disease resistance. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 251–275. , .
- 2001. In the early response of Arabidopsis roots to ethylene, cell elongation is up- and down-regulated and uncoupled from differentiation. Plant Physiology 125: 519–522. , , , .
- 1999. Oligogalacturonic acid and chitosan reduce stomatal aperture by inducing the evolution of reactive oxygen species from guard cells of tomato and Commelina communis. Plant Physiology 121: 147–152. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The multiple roles of arabinogalactan proteins in plant development. Plant Physiology 122: 3–9. , .
- 1999. The Arabidopsis extensin gene is developmentally regulated, is induced by wounding, methyl jasmonate, abscisic and salicylic acid, and codes for a protein with unusual motifs. Planta 208: 212–219. , , .
- 2002. Hydrogen peroxide signaling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 388–395. , , .
- 1998. Ascorbate and glutathione: keeping active oxygen under control. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Biology 49: 249–279. , .
- 2000. Characterization and oxidative in vitro cross-linking of an extensin-like protein and a proline-rich protein purified from chickpea cell walls. Phytochemistry 53: 1–5. , .
- 2003. Apoplastic ascorbate metabolism and its role in the regulation of cell signalling. Current Opinion Plant Biology 6: 379–389. , .
- 1995. Solubilization and partial characterization of extensin fragments from cell walls of cotton suspension cultures. Evidence for a covalent cross-link between extensin and pectin. Plant Physiology 108: 1691–1701. , , , .
- 1998. Callose deposition at plasmodesmata. Protoplasma 201: 30–37. , , .
- 2003. Early production and scavenging of hydrogen peroxide in the apoplast of sunflower plants exposed to ozone. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2529–2540. , , , , , .
- 2003. Plasmodesmata and the control of symplastic transport. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 103–124. , .
- Root development. (September 9, 2002) In: SommervilleCR, MeyerowitzEM, eds. The Arabidopsis book. Rockville, MD, USA: American Society of Plant Biologists, doi/10.1199/tab.0009, http://www.aspb.org/publications/arabidopsis/ , , .
- 1990. Genetic control of root hair development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 2: 235–243. , .
- 1997. Building a root: the control of patterning and morphogenesis during root development. Plant Cell 9: 1089–1098. , , .
- 1996. Isolation of pI 4.6 extensin peroxidase from tomato cell suspension cultures and identification of Val-Tyr-Lys as putative intermolecular cross-link site. Plant Journal 9: 477–489. , , , , .
- 2000. The classical arabinogalactan protein gene family of Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 12: 1751–1767. , , , .
- 2001. Exogenous ascorbic acid (vitamin C) increases resistance to salt stress and reduces lipid peroxidation. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 2207–2211. , .
- 1993. Structure and function of plant cell wall proteins. Plant Cell 5: 9–23. .
- 2001. Arabinogalactan proteins: structure, expression and function. Cellular and Molecular Life Science 58: 1399–1417. .
- 2000. Aluminium-induced 1–3-β-d-glucan inhibits cell-to-cell trafficking of molecules through plasmodesmata. A new mechanism of aluminium toxicity in plants. Plant Physiology 124: 991–1005. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Hydroxyproline-rich plant glycoproteins. Phytochemistry 47: 483–497. , , .
- 2003. Overexpression of a stress-inducible aldehyde dehydrogenase gene from Arabidopsis thaliana in transgenic plants improves stress tolerance. Plant Journal 35: 452–464. , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis gp91phox homologues AtrbohD and AtrbohF are required for accumulation of reactive oxygen intermediates in the plant defense response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 517–522. , , .
- 2001. Cell expansion in the epidermis: microtubules, cellulose orientation and wall loosening enzymes. Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 537–543. , , , .
- 2005. Microtubules and the control of cell elongation in Arabidopsis roots. NATO monograph: the plant cytoskeleton: functional diversity and biotechnological implications. (In press.) , , , , , , .
- 1993. Isotyrosine cross-linking mediates insolubilization of cell walls in Chlamydomonas. Plant Cell 5: 809–820. , , , .
- 2002. Ethylene biosynthesis and signaling networks. Plant Cell S131–S151. , , .
- 2002. Activation of an oxidative burst is a general feature of sensitive plants exposed to the air pollutant ozone. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 717–726. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Reconstitution in vitro of the components and conditions required for the oxidative cross-linking of extracellular proteins in French bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). FEBS Letters 405: 95–98. , , .
- 2001. Characterization of four extensin genes in Arabidopsis thaliana by differential gene expression under stress and non-stress conditions. DNA Research 8: 115–122. , , .
- 1992. Isolation and characterization of two wound-regulated tomato extensin genes. Plant Molecular Biology 20: 5–17. , , .