Plant-mediated nitrous oxide emissions from beech (Fagus sylvatica) leaves
Article first published online: 16 AUG 2005
Volume 168, Issue 1, pages 93–98, October 2005
How to Cite
Pihlatie, M., Ambus, P., Rinne, J., Pilegaard, K. and Vesala, T. (2005), Plant-mediated nitrous oxide emissions from beech (Fagus sylvatica) leaves. New Phytologist, 168: 93–98. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01542.x
- Issue published online: 16 AUG 2005
- Article first published online: 16 AUG 2005
- Received: 5 July 2005 Accepted: 10 July 2005
- 2001. Assessment of CH4 and N2O fluxes in a Danish beech (Fagus sylvatica) forest and an adjacent N-fertilised barley (Hordeum vulgare) field: effects of sewage sludge amendments. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 60: 15–21. , , , , .
- 2002. Nitrification and denitrification as sources of atmospheric nitrous oxide – role of oxidizable carbon and applied nitrogen. Biology and Fertility of Soils 35: 54–61. , , , , .
- 2001. Fluxes of NO3−, NH4+, NO, NO2, and N2O in an old Danish beech forest. Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus 1: 187–195. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Leaf morphology and chemistry in Fagus sylvatica (beech) trees as affected by site factors and ozone: results from CONECOFOR permanent monitoring plots in Italy. Tree Physiology 25: 211–219. , , , .
- 1997. Fluxes of NO and N2O from temperate forest soils: impact of forest type, N deposition and of liming on the NO and N2O emissions. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 48: 79–90. , , , .
- 2002. Exchange of N-gases at the Höglwald Forest – A summary. Plant and Soil 240: 117–123. , , , .
- 1998. Nitrous oxide emission via plant transpiration. Soil Science Society of American Journal 62: 35–38. , , , .
- 2002. Nitrous oxide emission from upland crops and crop-soil systems in northeastern China. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 62: 241–247. , , , , , .
- 2004. Assessing the use of δ13C natural abundance in separation of root and microbial respiration in a Danish beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) forest. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 18: 1–6. , .
- 2003. Conversion of the nitrate nitrogen and nitrogen dioxide to nitrous oxide in plants. Acta Biotechnologica 23: 249–257. , , , , .
- 1999. Effects of soil solution on the dynamics of N2O emissions: a review. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 55: 133–157. , .
- IPCC. 2001. Climate Change 2001: Scientific Basis. Contribution of the Working group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 1999. Closing the global N2O budget: a retrospective analysis 1500–1994. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 13: 1–8. , , .
- 2003. Plants affect the in situ N2O emissions of a temperate grassland ecosystem. Short Communication. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 166: 771–773. .
- 1999. A 3-year continuous record of nitrogen trace gas fluxes from untreated and limed soil of a N-saturated spruce and beech forest ecosystem in Germany. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 18487–18503. , .
- 2003. Field measurements of atmosphere–biosphere interactions in a Danish beech forest. Boreal Environment Research 8: 315–333. , , , , , .
- 1998. Black Alder (Alnus glutinosa (L.) Gaertn.) trees mediate methane and nitrous oxide emission from the soil to the atmosphere. Plant and Soil 201: 1–7. , .
- 2001. Wheat leaves emit nitrous oxide during nitrate assimilation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 7875–7878. , .
- 1982. Denitrification. In: PageAL, MillerRH, KeeneyDR, eds. Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2, Chemical and Microbiological Properties. Agronomy no. 9. Madison, WI, USA: ASA & SSSA, 1011–1026. .
- 2000. Pathways of N2O emission from rice paddy soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 32: 437–440. , , .
- 2005. Contribution of plants to N2O emissions in soil-winter wheat ecosystem: pot and field experiments. Plant & Soil 269: 205–211. , , , , .