Soil nutrient heterogeneity interacts with elevated CO2 and nutrient availability to determine species and assemblage responses in a model grassland community
Article first published online: 31 AUG 2005
Volume 168, Issue 3, pages 637–650, December 2005
How to Cite
Maestre, F. T., Bradford, M. A. and Reynolds, J. F. (2005), Soil nutrient heterogeneity interacts with elevated CO2 and nutrient availability to determine species and assemblage responses in a model grassland community. New Phytologist, 168: 637–650. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01547.x
- Issue published online: 31 AUG 2005
- Article first published online: 31 AUG 2005
- Received: 4 May 2005 Accepted: 11 July 2005
- 2001. A new method for non-parametric multivariate analysis of variance. Austral Ecology 26: 32–46. .
- 2004. Measuring plant interactions: a new comparative index. Ecology 85: 2682–2686. , , .
- 1997. Temporal responses of community fine root populations to long-term elevated atmospheric CO2 and soil nutrient patches in model tropical ecosystems. Acta Oecologica 18: 367–376.
- 2001. Root system adjustments: Regulation of plant nutrient uptake and growth responses to elevated CO2. Oecologia 126: 305–320. , , .
- 1997. Nitrogen cycling in microcosms of yellow birch exposed to elevated CO2: simultaneous positive and negative feedbacks. Global Change Biology 3: 247–258. , .
- 1998. Growth and nitrogen uptake in an experimental community of annuals exposed to elevated atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology 4: 607–626. , , .
- 2002. Are competitive interactions influenced by spatial nutrient heterogeneity and root foraging behavior?. New Phytologist 154: 409–417. , , , .
- 1999. Sampling spatial and temporal variation in soil nitrogen availability. Oecologia 118: 397–404. , , , .
- 1996. Limited effects of soil nutrient heterogeneity on populations of Abutilon theophrasti (Malvaceae). American Journal of Botany 83: 333–341. , .
- 2003. The effects of spatial pattern of nutrient supply on yield, structure and mortality in plant populations. Journal of Ecology 91: 541–553. , , .
- 1999. Temporal and spatial variation in soil resources in a deciduous woodland. Journal of Ecology 87: 688–696. , .
- 1999. Disentangling the effects of root foraging and inherent growth rate on plant biomass accumulation in heterogeneous environments: a modelling study. Annals of Botany 84: 305–311. , , , .
- 2004. A Primer of Ecological Statistics. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , .
- 2002. Species-specific reactions to elevated CO2 and nutrient availability in four grass species. Basic and Applied Ecology 3: 221–227. , , .
- 2001. Growth, water and nitrogen relations in grassland model ecosystems of the semi-arid Negev of Israel exposed to elevated CO2. Oecologia 128: 251–262. , .
- 2003. Differential phosphorus and nitrogen effects drive species and community responses to elevated CO2 in semi-arid grassland. Functional Ecology 17: 766–777. , .
- 2002. Interactive effects of diversity, nutrients and elevated CO2 on experimental plant communities. Oikos 97: 337–348. , , .
- 2004. The plastic plant: root responses to heterogeneous supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 162: 9–24. .
- 2000. Plant N capture and microfaunal dynamics from decomposing grass and earthworm residues in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 32: 1763–1772. , , , , .
- 2001. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , , , , , eds
- 2001. Heterogeneous soil-resource distribution and plant responses-from individual-plant growth to ecosystem functioning. Progress in Botany 62: 451–476. , .
- 1997. Morphological plasticity in Trifolium repens L. The effects of clone genotype, soil nutrient level, and the genotype of conspecific neighbours. Canadian Journal of Botany 75: 1382–1393. , , , .
- 1993. Geostatistical patterns of soil heterogeneity around individual perennial plants. Journal of Ecology 81: 683–692. , .
- 2001. Species-specific responses of plant communities to altered carbon and nutrient availability. Global Change Biology 7: 435–450. , , , , .
- 2000. Comparing studies of artificial and natural ecosystem responses to CO2 enrichments. Biotronics 29: 1–7. , , , , .
- 2000. Root hemiparasites and plant diversity in experimental grassland communities. Journal of Ecology 88: 634–644. , , .
- 2001. Experimental plant ecology: some lessons from global change research. In: PressMC, HuntlyNJ, LevinS, eds. Ecology: Achievement and Challenge. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science, 227–248. .
- 2003. Nutrients and sink activity drive plant CO2 responses: caution with literature-based analysis. New Phytologist 159: 537–538. .
- 2004. Patch-background contrast and patch density have limited effects on root proliferation and plant performance in Abutilon theophrasti. Functional Ecology 18: 836–843. , , .
- 1997. The influence of elevated CO2 on species phenology, growth and reproduction in a Mediterranean old-field community. Global Change Biology 3: 523–530. , , , .
- 2004. Synthesis of a six-year study of calcareous grassland responses to in situ CO2 enrichment. Ecological Monographs 74: 491–511. , .
- 1993. Interspecific variation in the growth response of plants to an elevated ambient CO2 concentration. Vegetatio 104/105: 77–97. .
- 2003. Plant growth and competition at elevated CO2: on winners, losers and functional groups. New Phytologist 157: 175–198. , .
- 2002. Root-shoot relations: optimality in acclimation and adaptation or the ‘Emperor's new clothes’?. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant Roots: The Hidden Half. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 205–220. .
- 2004. Species and functional group diversity independently influence biomass accumulation and its response to CO2 and N. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 10101–10106. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. The responses of plants to non-uniform supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 127: 635–674. .
- 1999. Effect of enhanced atmospheric CO2 on mycorrhizal colonization and phosphorus inflow in 10 herbaceous species of contrasting growth strategies. Functional Ecology 13: 190–199. , , .
- 1999. Interactive effects of elevated CO2, P availability and legume presence on calcareous grassland: results of a glasshouse experiment. Functional Ecology 13: 200–209. , .
- 1998. Effects of elevated CO2 and phosphorus addition on productivity and community composition of intact monoliths from calcareous grasslands. Oecologia 116: 50–56. , , .
- 1991. Whitin-population variation in localized and integrated responses of Trifolium repens to biotically patchy environments. Oecologia 86: 183–192. , , .
- 1999. Responses of wild C4 and C3 grass (Poaceae) species to elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration: a meta-analytic test of current theories and perceptions. Global Change Biology 5: 723–741. , , , .
- 1998. Biomass and compositional changes occur in chalk grassland turves exposed to elevated CO2 for two seasons in FACE. Global Change Biology 4: 375–385. , , .
- 1999. The effects of environmental heterogeneity on the performance of Glechoma hederacea: the interactions between patch contrast and patch scale. Journal of Ecology 87: 860–872. , .
- 2005. Does pattern of soil resource heterogeneity determine plant community structure? An experimental investigation. Journal of Ecology 93: 99–112. , , .
- 2003. Grassland responses to three years of elevated temperature, CO2, precipitation, and N deposition. Ecological Monographs 73: 585–604. , , , , , , .