Nutrient availability and management in the rhizosphere: exploiting genotypic differences
Article first published online: 12 SEP 2005
Volume 168, Issue 2, pages 305–312, November 2005
How to Cite
Rengel, Z. and Marschner, P. (2005), Nutrient availability and management in the rhizosphere: exploiting genotypic differences. New Phytologist, 168: 305–312. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01558.x
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2005
- Article first published online: 12 SEP 2005
- Received: 17 June 2005 Accepted: 15 August 2005
- 1998. Potential of Rhizobium and Bradyrhizobium species as plant growth promoting rhizobacteria on non-legumes: effect on radishes (Raphanus sativus L.). Plant and Soil 204: 57–67. , , , , .
- 1978. Solubilization of relatively insoluble phosphate by some fungi isolated from the rhizosphere of rice. Indian Journal of Agricultural Science 48: 762–766. .
- 1976. Sorption and oxidation of manganous ions and reduction of manganese oxide by cell suspensions of a manganese oxidising bacterium. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 8: 37–43. , .
- 1989. Reducing activity at the root surface in Eucalyptus pilularis–Pisolithus tinctorius ectomycorrhizas. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 16: 99–105. , .
- 1997. The use of inositol hexaphosphate as a phosphorus source by mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris). Functional Ecology 11: 407–415. , , , .
- 2001. Expression of a Pseudomonas aeruginosa citrate synthase gene in tobacco is not associated with either enhanced citrate accumulation or efflux. Plant Physiology 125: 2059–2067. , , .
- 2000. Transformation of organic rhizodeposits by rhizosphere bacteria and its influence on the availability of tertiary calcium phosphate. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 163: 387–392. , , .
- 2001. A root hairless barley mutant for elucidating genetic of root hairs and phosphorus uptake. Plant and Soil 235: 211–219. , , , .
- 2005. Expression of a fungal phytase gene in Nicotiana tabacum improves phosphorus nutrition of plants grown in amended soils. Plant Biotechnology Journal 3: 129–140. , , , .
- 2003. Genotypes of lucerne (Medicago sativa L.) show differential tolerance to manganese deficiency and toxicity when grown in bauxite residue sand. Plant and Soil 249: 287–296. , .
- 2002. Role of soil microorganisms in improving P nutrition of plants. Plant and Soil 245: 83–93. , , , .
- 2000. Genetically modified crops and developing countries. Plant Physiology 124: 923–925. .
- 2001. Bioavailability of soil inorganic P in the rhizosphere as affected by root-induced chemical changes: a review. Plant and Soil 237: 173–195. .
- 2003. Origins of root-mediated pH changes in the rhizosphere and their responses to environmental constraints: a review. Plant and Soil 248: 43–59. , , , , .
- 2005. Organic acid exudation and pH changes by Gordonia sp. and Pseudomonas fluorescens grown with P adsorbed to goethite. Microbiological Research 160: 177–187. , , .
- 1989. Solubilization of rock phosphate by rape. II. Local root exudation of organic acids as a response to P starvation. Plant and Soil 113: 161–165. , , .
- 2005. Influence of nitrogen and sulphur form on manganese acquisition by barley (Hordeum vulgare). Plant and Soil 268: 309–317. , , , .
- 2004. Plant and mycorrhizal regulation of rhizodeposition. New Phytologist 163: 459–480. , , .
- 1997a. Rahella aquatilis, a bacterium isolated from soybean rhizosphere, can solubilize hydroxyapatite. FEMS Microbiology Letters 153: 273–277. , , .
- 1997b. Solubilization of hydroxyapatite by Enterobacter agglomerans and cloned Escherichia coli in culture medium. Biology and Fertility of Soils 24: 347–352. , , .
- 1999. Solubilization of inorganic phosphates and growth emergence of wheat as affected by Azotobacter chroococcum mutants. Biology and Fertility of Soils 28: 301–305. , .
- 2005. Signaling of phosphorus deficiency-induced gene expression in white lupin requires sugar and phloem transport. Plant Journal 41: 257–268. , , , , .
- 1999. Phytogenetic diversity of bacterial communities differing in degree of proximity of Lolium perenne and Trifolium repens roots. Applied Soil Ecology 13: 127–136. , .
- 1991. Effect of manganese-reducing rhizosphere bacteria on the growth of Gaeumannomyces graminis var. tritici and on manganese uptake by wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Biology and Fertility of Soils 12: 33–38. , , .
- 2004a. Development of specific rhizosphere bacterial communities in relation to plant species, nutrition and soil type. Plant and Soil 261: 199–208. , , .
- 2003. Manganese availability and microbial populations in the rhizosphere of wheat genotypes differing in tolerance to Mn deficiency. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 166: 712–718. , , .
- 2005a. Microbial community composition and functioning in the rhizosphere of three Banksia species in native woodland in Western Australia. Applied Soil Ecology 28: 191–201. , , .
- 2004b. Legume rotation effects on early growth and rhizosphere microbiology of sorghum in West African soils. Plant and Soil 264: 325–334. , , , .
- 2002. Spatial and temporal dynamics of the microbial community structure in the rhizosphere of cluster roots of white lupin (Lupinus albus L.). Plant and Soil 246: 167–174. , , , , .
- 2005b. Rhizosphere properties of Poaceae genotypes under P-limiting conditions. Plant and Soil. (In press.) , , .
- 1999. Root excretion of carboxylic acids and protons in phosphorus-deficient plants. Plant and Soil 211: 121–130. , .
- 2003. Phosphorus efficiency of cabbage (Brassica oleracea L. var. capitata), carrot (Daucus carota L.), and potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). Plant and Soil 250: 215–224. , , , .
- 2002. Growth and P uptake by wheat genotypes supplied with phytate as the only P source. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 53: 845–850. , .
- 2004. Nitrogen dynamics in legume-based pasture systems. In: MosierAR, SyersJK, FreneyJR, eds. Agriculture and the nitrogen cycle: assessing the impacts of fertilizer use on food production and the environment. Washington, DC, USA: Island Press, 103–114. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Phosphorus mobilization in agroforestry: organic anions, phosphatase activity and phosphorus fractions in the rhizosphere. Plant and Soil 259: 209–219. , .
- 2003. Mycorrhizas and nutrient cycling in ecosystems – a journey towards relevance? New Phytologist 157: 475–492. , .
- 2000. Uptake and transport of manganese in plants. In: SigelA, SigelH, eds. Metal ions in biology systems. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 57–87. .
- 2001. Genotypic differences in micronutrient use efficiency in crops. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 32: 1163–1186. .
- 2002. Genetic control of root exudation. Plant and Soil 245: 59–70. .
- 2005. Breeding crops for adaptation to environments with low nutrient availability. In: AshrafM, HarrisPJC, eds. Abiotic stresses: plant resistance through breeding and molecular approaches. New York, NY, USA: The Haworth Press, 239–276. .
- 1994. Control of Mn status in plants and rhizosphere: genetic aspects of host and pathogen effects in the wheat take-all interaction. In: MantheyJA, CrowleyDE, LusterDG, eds. Biochemistry of metal micronutrients in the rhizosphere. Boca Raton, FL, USA: Lewis Publishers/CRC Press, 125–145. , , .
- 1998. Plant genotype and micronutrient status influence colonization of wheat roots by soil bacteria. Journal of Plant Nutrition 21: 99–113. , , .
- 1997. Soil isolates of Pseudomonas spp. that utilize inositol phosphates. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 43: 509–516. , .
- 2001. Extracellular secretion of Aspergillus phytase from Arabidopsis roots enables plants to obtain phosphorus from phytate. Plant Journal 25: 641–649. , , .
- 2002. Manganese efficiency of wheat cultivars as related to root growth and internal manganese requirement. Journal of Plant Nutrition 25: 2677–2688. , , .
- 2004. Characterization of promoter expression patterns derived from the Pht1 phosphate transporter genes of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 855–865. , , , .
- 2002. Sulphur and phosphorus transport systems in plants. In: PowlsonDS, ed. Interactions in the root environment: an integrated approach. Proceedings of the Millennium Conference on Rhizosphere Interactions, IACR-Rothamsted, 10–12 April 2001. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 109–118. .
- 1997. Interactions between nitrogen and manganese nutrition of barley genotypes differing in manganese efficiency. Annals of Botany 79: 53–58. , , .
- 2000. Growth promotion of plants inoculated with phosphate-solubilizing fungi. Advances in Agronomy 69: 99–151. .
- 2003. Phytase and phosphatase producing fungi in arid and semi-arid soils and their efficiency in hydrolyzing different organic P compounds. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 35: 1–7. , .