Early physiological responses of Arabidopsis thaliana cells to fusaric acid: toxic and signalling effects
Article first published online: 3 OCT 2005
Volume 169, Issue 1, pages 209–218, January 2006
How to Cite
Bouizgarne, B., El-Maarouf-Bouteau, H., Frankart, C., Reboutier, D., Madiona, K., Pennarun, A. M., Monestiez, M., Trouverie, J., Amiar, Z., Briand, J., Brault, M., Rona, J. P., Ouhdouch, Y., El Hadrami, I. and Bouteau, F. (2006), Early physiological responses of Arabidopsis thaliana cells to fusaric acid: toxic and signalling effects. New Phytologist, 169: 209–218. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01561.x
- Issue published online: 3 OCT 2005
- Article first published online: 3 OCT 2005
- Received: 23 June 2005 Accepted: 31 July 2005
- 2001. Relationship between transmembrane ion movements production of reactive oxygen species and the hypersensitive response during the challenge of tobacco suspension cells by zoospores of Phytophtora nicitiana. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 58: 189–198. , , .
- 2001. Diversity and interactions among strains of Fusarium oxysporum: application to biological control. In: JeggerMJ, SpenceNJ, eds. Biotic Interactions in Plant Pathogen Associations. London, UK: CAB International, 131–157. , , , , , .
- 1984. Effects of fusaric acid on tomato root hair membrane potentials and ATP levels. Plant Physiology 74: 39–42. , .
- 1996. Syringolide 1 triggers Ca2+ influx, K+ efflux and extracellular alkalinization in soybean cells carrying the disease resistance gene, Rpg4. Plant Physiology 112: 297–302. , , , .
- 1996. Production of fusaric acid by Fusarium species. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 62: 4039–4043. , , , .
- 1995. Active oxygen in plant pathogenesis. Annual Review of Phytopathology 33: 299–321. , .
- 2001. Cytological analysis of defense related mechanisms in pea root tissues in response to colonization by non-pathogenic Fusarium oxysporum Fo47. Phytopathology 91: 730–740. , .
- 2004. Electrophysiological responses to fusaric acid of root hairs from seedlings of date palm susceptible and resistant to Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. Albedinis. Journal of Phytopathology 152: 321–324. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Plasma membrane depolarization induced by abscisic acid in Arabidopsis suspension cells involves reduction of proton pumping in addition to anion channel activation, which are both Ca2+ dependent. Plant Physiology 135: 231–243. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Plant defense reactions against fusarium wilt in chickpea induced by incompatible race 0 of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. ciceris and non host isolates of F. oxysporum. Plant Pathology 15: 765–776. , , , .
- 2003. The mode of action of cell wall-degrading enzymes and their interference with Nod factor signaling in Medicago sativa root hairs. Planta 216: 993–1002. , .
- 2002. Spatiotemporal patterning of reactive oxygen production and Ca2+ propagation in focus rhizoid cells. Plant Cell 14: 2369–2381. , , , , , .
- 2005. Distinct pH regulation of slow and rapid anion channels at the plasma membrane of Arabidopsis thaliana hypocotyl cells. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 1897–1903. , , , , .
- 2002. Priming in plant–pathogen interactions. Trends in Plant Science 5: 210–216. , , .
- 2003. Elicitation of soluble phenolics in date palm (Phoenix dactylifera) callus by Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. albedinis culture medium. Environmental and Experimental Botany 49: 41–47. , , , , .
- 1998. Harpin and hydrogen peroxide both initiate programmed cell death but have differential effects on defense gene expression in Arabidopsis suspension cultures. Biochemical Journal 330: 115–120. , , , .
- 1995. Elicitor-binding proteins and signal transduction in the activation of a phytoalexin defense response. Canadian Journal of Botany 73: 506–510. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Harpin, a hypersensitive response elicitor from Erwinia amylovora, regulates ion channel activities in Arabidopsis thaliana suspension cells. FEBS Letters 497: 82–84. , , , .
- 2002. Analysis and effects of cytosolic free calcium increases in response to elicitors in Nicotiana plumbaginifolia cells. Plant Cell 14: 2627–2641. , , , , .
- 1984. Theory and operation of a single microelectrode voltage clamp. Journal of Neuroscience Methods 11: 101–127. , .
- 1997. Nonpathogenic Fusarium oxysporum strain Fo47 induces resistance to Fusarium wilt in tomato. Plant Disease 81: 492–496. , , .
- 1996. Effect of fusaric acid on cells from tomato cultivars resistant or susceptible to Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. Lycopersici. European Journal of Plant Pathology 102: 127–132. , , .
- 1994. Isolation of phytoalexin-deficient mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana and characterization of their interactions with bacterial pathogens. Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 91: 8955–8959. , .
- 1989. Introduction to Ecological Biochemistry. London, UK: Academic Press, 338. .
- 2002. Induction of systemic disease resistance and pathogen defence responses in Asparagus officinalis inoculated with non pathogenic strains of Fusarium oxysporum. Plant Pathology 51: 225–230. , , .
- 2002. Plant colonization by the vascular wilt fungus Fusarium oxysporum the vascular wilt fungus Fusarium oxysporum requires FOW1, a gene encoding a mitochondrial protein. Plant Cell 14: 1869–1883. , , .
- 1996. Involvement of Ca2+ ions in phytoalexin induction in oats. Plant Science 115: 9–16. , , , , .
- 1997. Elicitor-stimulated ion fluxes and O2– from the oxidative burst are essential components in triggering defense gene activation and phytoalexin synthesis in parsley. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 4800–4805. , , , , .
- 2003. Roles of reactive oxygen species-generating peroxidases reactions in plant defense and growth induction. Plant Cell Report 21: 829–837. .
- 2000. Mechanism of peroxidase actions for salycilic acid induced-generation of active oxygen species and increase in cytosolic calcium in tobacco suspension culture. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 685–693. , .
- 1996. Cold calcium signaling in Arabidopsis involved two cellular pools and changes in calcium signature after acclimatation. Plant Cell 8: 489–503. , , .
- 2004. Harpin inactivates mitochondria in Arabidopsis suspension cells. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 17: 131–139. , .
- 2001. Effect of fusaric acid on reactive oxygen species and antioxidants in tomato cell cultures. Journal of Phytopathology 149: 575–582. .
- 1999. Involvement of the oxidative system in tomato response to fusaric acid. Journal of Phytopathology 147: 385–390. , , .
- 2000. pH control of the plant outwardly-rectifying potassium channel SKOR. FEBS Letters 466: 351–354. , , , , .
- 1996. Calcium-mediated apoptosis in a plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Current Biology 6: 427–437. , , , , .
- 1993. Relationship between fusaric acid uptake and its binding to cell structures in leaves of Egeria densa and its toxic effects on membrane permeability and respiration. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 42: 141–157. , , .
- 2001. Effet de la pectolyase Y-23 et de la cellulase RS sur le rendement en protoplasts viables de Prunus cerasus L. «Montmorency». Biotechnologie Agronomie Société et Environnement 5: 99–104. .
- 2001. Induction of H2O2 synthesis by beta-glucan elicitors in soybean is independent of cytosolic calcium transients. FEBS Letters 508: 191–195. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Correlation of rapid cell death with metabolic changes in fungus-infected, cultured parsley cells. Plant Physiology 112: 433–444. , , .
- 1994. High affinity binding of a fungal oligopeptide elicitor to parsley plasma membranes triggers multiple defense responses. Cell 78: 449–460. , , , , , .
- 2003. Colonization of flax roots and early physiological responses of flax cells inoculated with pathogenic and nonpathogenic strains of Fusarium oxysporum. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 5453–5462. , , , , , .
- 1994. Oxidative signals in tobacco increase cytosolic calcium. Plant Cell 6: 1301–1310. , , , , .
- 1997. Early events induced by the elicitor cryptogein in tobacco cells: involvement of a plasma membrane NADPH oxidase and activation of glycolysis and the pentose phosphate pathway. Plant Cell 9: 2077–2091. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Early events in the signal pathway for the oxidative burst in soybean cells exposed to avirulent Pseudomonas syringae pv. glycinea. Plant Physiology 120: 1137–1146. , , .
- 2002. The indolic compound hypaphorine produced by ectomycorrhizal fungus interferes with auxin action and evokes early responses in non host Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 15: 932–938. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. A CFTR chloride channel activator prevents HrpNea-induced cell death in Arabidopsis thaliana suspension cells. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 43: 567–572 (10.1016/j.plaphy.2005.03.03) , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Differential accumulation of β1–3 glucanase and chitinase isoforms in tomato roots in response to colonization by either pathogenic or non pathogenic strains of Fusarium oxysporum. Microbiological Research 153: 257–263. , , , , .
- 1995. Cell wall synthesis in cotton roots after infection with Fusarium oxysporum. Planta 197: 535–545. , .
- 2003. Fusarium as a model for studying virulence in soilborne plant pathogens. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 62: 87–98. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Effects on growth and comparison of root tissue colonization patterns of Eucalyptus viminalis by pathogenic or non pathogenic strains of Fusarium oxysporum. New Phytolologist 146: 317–324. , , .
- 1997. Secondary metabolites produced by a strain of Fusarium oxysporum used for Striga control in West Africa. Biocontrol Science and Technology 7: 61–66. , , , .
- 1989. Quantitative analysis of outward rectifying K+ channel currents in guard cell protoplasts from Vicia faba. Journal of Membrane Biology 107: 229–235. .
- 2004. Cytoplasmic alkalization precedes reactive oxygen species production during methyl jasmonate- and abscisic acid-induced stomatal closure. Plant Physiology 134: 1536–1545. , , , .
- 1998. Effects of fusaric acid on rat liver mitochondria. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology. Part C. Toxicology and Pharmacology 120: 43–51. , , , .
- 1997. Effect of fungal toxins on induction of phenyalanine ammonia-lyase activity in elicited cultures of hybrid poplar. Plant Science 126: 29–38. , .
- 1999. Pharmacological activities of fusaric acid (5-butylpicolinic acid). Life Sciences 65: 849–856. , .
- 2002. Nitrate efflux is an essential component of the cryptogein signaling pathway leading to defense responses and hypersensitive cell death in tobacco. Plant Cell 14: 1937–1951. , , , , .
- 1997. Oxidative burst: an early plant response to pathogen infection. Biochemical Journal 322: 681–692. .
- 2005. Elicitor signal transduction leading to production of plant secondary metabolites. Biotechnology Advances 23: 283–333 (doi: 10.1016/j.biotechadv.2005.01.003) , , .
- 1998. Elicitor-induced chloride efflux and anion channels in tobacco cell suspension. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 36: 665–674. , , , , .