Activities of chitinolytic enzymes during primary and secondary colonization of wood by basidiomycetous fungi
Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2005
Volume 169, Issue 2, pages 389–397, January 2006
How to Cite
Lindahl, B. D. and Finlay, R. D. (2006), Activities of chitinolytic enzymes during primary and secondary colonization of wood by basidiomycetous fungi. New Phytologist, 169: 389–397. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01581.x
- Issue online: 31 OCT 2005
- Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2005
- Received: 6 July 2005 Accepted: 25 August 2005
- 1995. Wood decomposition, higher fungi, and their role in nutrient redistribution. Canadian Journal of Botany 73: S1377–S1383. , .
- 1998. Nutritional factors limiting the growth of Lentinula edodes and other white-rot fungi in wood. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 30: 817–823. .
- 1984. Ecology of Saprotrophic Fungi. London, UK: Longman. , .
- 1966. Nitrogen in wood and its role in wood deterioration. Canadian Journal of Botany 44: 1539–1554. , .
- 2001. Interaction of ammonium, glucose, and chitin regulates the expression of cell wall-degrading enzymes in Trichoderma atroviride strain P1. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 67: 5643–5647. , .
- 1995. Molecular cloning and expression in S. cerevisiae of two exochitinases from Trichoderma harzianum. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Internation 36: 781–791. , , , .
- 1990. The ecology of chitin degradation. In: Marshall, KC, ed. Advances in Microbial Ecology, Vol. 11. New York, USA: Plenum Press, 387–430. .
- 1995. New components of the chitinolytic system of Trichoderma harzianum. Mycological Research 99: 441–446. , , , .
- 2002. Evolution of complex fruiting-body morphologies in homobasidomycetes. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B Series 269: 1963–1969. , .
- 1995. Fungal biomass in decayed wood. Mycologia 87: 459–466. , .
- 2004. Decay and nutrient dynamics of coarse woody debris in northern coniferous forests: a synthesis. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 34: 763–777. , .
- 1968. Role of nitrogen in wood detoriation. VI. Mycelial fractions and model nitrogen compounds as substrates for growth of Polyporus versicolor and other wood-destroying and wood-inhabiting fungi. Phytopathology 58: 626–634. , , .
- 2004. N-acetylhexosaminidase coding genes in ectomycorrhizal basidiomycetes. New Phytologist 164: 193–199. , .
- 2002. Defining nutritional constraints on carbon cycling in boreal forests – towards a less ‘phytocentric’ perspective. Plant and Soil 242: 123–135. , , .
- 1998. Chitinolytic enzymes and their genes. In: Harman, GE, Kubicek, CP, eds. Trichoderma and Gliocladium, Vol. 2: Enzymes, Biology Control and Commercial Applications. London, UK: Taylor & Francis Ltd, 73–99. .
- 1992. A rapid and sensitive microassay for determination of chitinolytic activity. Journal of Microbiological Methods 14: 229–237. , .
- 1966a. Role of nitrogen in wood deterioration. IV. Relationship of natural variation in nitrogen content of wood to its susceptibility to decay. Phytopathology 56: 1324–1325. , .
- 1966b. Role of nitrogen in wood deterioration: Amount and distribution of nitrogen in fungi. Phytopathology 56: 1083–1090. , .
- 1998. Chitin as an indicator of the biomass of two wood-decay fungi in relation to temperature, incubation time, and media composition. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 44: 575–581. , .
- 1987. Fungal growth response to carbon and nitrogen limitation: Application of a model to laboratory and field data. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 19: 621–629. , .
- 1985. Population structure of Heterobasidion annosum as determined by somatic incopatibility, sexual incopatibility, and isoenzyme patterns. Canadian Journal of Botany 63: 2268–2273. .
- 1977. The roles of fungi and animals in the immobilisation and release of nutrient elements from decomposing branch-wood. In: Lohm, U, Persson, T, eds. Soil Organisms as Components of Ecosystems. Stockholm Ecological Bulletins 25, 193–202. .
- 1993. Detection and quantification of N-Acetyl-β-D-glucosaminidase, chitobiosidase, and endochitinase in solutions and on gels. Analytical Biochemistry 208: 74–79. , .
- 1998. Fungi inhabiting stems of Picea abies in a managed stand in Lithuania. Forest Ecology and Management 109: 119–126. , .
- 1993. Wall growth, protein excretion and morphogenesis in fungi. New Phytologist 123: 397–413. .