Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2005
Volume 169, Issue 3, pages 493–504, February 2006
How to Cite
Irving, L. J. and Robinson, D. (2006), A dynamic model of Rubisco turnover in cereal leaves. New Phytologist, 169: 493–504. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01584.x
- Issue online: 31 OCT 2005
- Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2005
- Received: 15 July 2005 Accepted: 5 September 2005
- 1999. Thermal stress induces differential degradation of Rubisco in heat-sensitive and heat-tolerant rice. Physiologia Plantarum 105: 89–94. , , , , .
- 2002. Statistical Inference. Pacific Grove, CA, USA: Duxbury. , .
- 2003. Exclusion of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase from chloroplasts by specific bodies in naturally senescing leaves of wheat. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 914–921. , , , , .
- 1998. Influence of nitrogen deficiency on senescence and the amounts of RNA and proteins in wheat leaves. Physiologia Plantarum 102: 192–200. , , .
- 1996. Oxidative stress induces partial degradation of the large subunit of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in isolated chloroplasts of barley. Plant Physiology 111: 789–796. , , .
- 1994. O3 induced degradation of Rubisco protein and loss of Rubisco messenger RNA in relation to leaf age in Solanum tuberosum L. New Phytologist 127: 741–748. , .
- 1989. Conversion of Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase to an acidic and catalytically inactive form by extracts of osmotically stressed Lemna minor fronds. Planta 179: 448–455. , .
- 1992. Sulfur starvation in Lemna leads to degradation of Ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase without plant death. Journal of Biological Chemistry 267: 7253–7257. , .
- 2005. A functional–structural model of elongation of the grass leaf and its relationships with the phyllochron. New Phytologist 166: 881–894. , , , , , .
- 1980. Photosynthesis, leaf resistances, and ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase degradation in senescing barley leaves. Plant Physiology 65: 1103–1107. , .
- 1994. Oxidative modification and breakdown of Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase oxygenase induced in Euglena gracilis by nitrogen starvation. Planta 193: 208–215. , .
- 1994. Nitrogen use within the growing leaf blade of tall fescue. Plant Physiology 105: 191–197. , .
- 2002. Nitrogen metabolism and remobilization during senescence. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 927–937. , .
- 1990. Proteolytic activity during senescence of plants. New Phytologist 116: 199–231. .
- 1974. Protein turnover in plants and possible means of its regulation. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 25: 363–392. , .
- 1998. Light-dependent fragmentation of the large subunit of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in chloroplasts isolated from wheat leaves. Planta 204: 305–309. , , , .
- 2004. Amount of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase (Rubisco) protein and levels of mRNAs of rbcS and rbcL in the leaves at different positions in transgenic rice plants with decreased content of Rubisco. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 50: 233–239. , , , .
- 1999. 2′-Carboxy-d-arabitinol 1-phosphate protects ribulose 1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase against proteolytic breakdown. European Journal of Biochemistry 266: 840–847. , , , .
- 1995. Factors affecting the rate of leaf emergence in barley and wheat. Crop Science 35: 11–19. .
- 1993. Leaf emergence, tiller growth, and apical development of nitrogen-deficient spring wheat. Crop Science 33: 154–160. , , .
- 1983. Changes in the amounts of ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase synthesized and degraded during the life span of rice leaf (Oryza sativa L.). Plant and Cell Physiology 24: 1079–1086. , , .
- 1984. Relationship between ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase content and chloroplast number in naturally senescing primary leaves of wheat. Plant and Cell Physiology 25: 333–336. , , , .
- 1989. Degradation of Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in the lysates of the chloroplasts isolated mechanically from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) leaves. Plant and Cell Physiology 30: 193–200. , , , , , , .
- 1984a. Changes in the photosynthetic capacity in rice leaves from emergence through senescence. Analysis from ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase and leaf conductance. Plant and Cell Physiology 25: 511–521. , , .
- 1984b. Relation between nitrogen and ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase in rice leaves from emergence through senescence. Plant and Cell Physiology 25: 429–437. , , .
- 1983. Senescence-dependent changes in superoxide anion production by illuminated chloroplasts from bean leaves. Planta 158: 185–193. , .
- 1992. Oxidative stress causes rapid membrane translocation and in vivo degradation of Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase oxygenase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 267: 2810–2816. , , , .
- 1988. The accumulation and storage of nitrogen by herbaceous plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 11: 1–8. .
- 1999. C172S substitution in the chloroplast-encoded large subunit affects stability and stress-induced turnover of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 26789–26793. , .
- 2001. Direct evidence of active and rapid nuclear degradation triggered by vacuole rupture during programmed cell death in Zinnia. Plant Physiology 125: 615–626. , , .
- 1995. Changes in the number and size of chloroplasts during senescence of primary leaves of wheat grown under different conditions. Plant and Cell Physiology 36: 9–17. , , .
- 1992. Timing of ozone stress and resulting status of ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase and associated net photosynthesis. New Phytologist 120: 397–405. , , .
- 2005. Patterns of rhizosphere carbon flux in sugar maple (Acer saccharum) and yellow birch (Betula allegheniensis) saplings. Global Change Biology 11: 983–995. , .
- 1999. Subunit control of Rubisco biosynthesis – a relic of an endosymbiotic past? Photosynthesis Research 59: 105–123. .
- 2004. Rubisco without the Calvin cycle improves the carbon efficiency of developing green seeds. Nature 432: 779–782. , , , .
- 2002. Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase specific proteolysis in barley chloroplasts during dark induced senescence. Photosynthetica 40: 561–566. , , .
- 1995. Elongation of the grass leaf and its relationship to the phytochron. Crop Science 35: 4–10. , .
- 2001. Changes in the turnover of Rubisco and levels of mRNAs of rbcL and rbcS in rice leaves from emergence to senescence. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 1353–1360. , , .
- 2002. Changes in synthesis and degradation of Rubisco and LHCII with leaf age in rice (Oryza sativa L.) growing under supplementary UV-B radiation. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 695–706. , , , , .
- 1998. Estimating the excess investment in ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in leaves of spring wheat crown under elevated CO2. Plant Physiology 118: 945–955. , , , .
- 1984. ATP-dependent proteolysis in pea chloroplasts. FEBS Letters 166: 248–252. , .
- 1981. The accurate determination of N-15 with an emission spectrometer. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 27: 405–419. .
- 2002. Appearance of endopeptidases during leaf senescence of cucumber leaves. Plant Science 162: 615–619. , , , , .