Differential modulation of host plant δ13C and δ18O by native and nonnative arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in a semiarid environment
Article first published online: 2 NOV 2005
Volume 169, Issue 2, pages 379–387, February 2006
How to Cite
Querejeta, J. I., Allen, M. F., Caravaca, F. and Roldán, A. (2006), Differential modulation of host plant δ13C and δ18O by native and nonnative arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in a semiarid environment. New Phytologist, 169: 379–387. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01599.x
- Issue published online: 2 NOV 2005
- Article first published online: 2 NOV 2005
- Received: 1 August 2005 Accepted: 20 September 2005
- 1996. A framework for tackling drought and land degradation. Journal of Arid Environments 33: 309–320. , .
- 1989. The restoration of disturbed arid landscapes with special reference to mycorrhizal fungi. Journal of Arid Environments 17: 279–286. .
- 1983. Effects of two species of vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi on drought tolerance of winter wheat. New Phytologist 93: 67–76. , .
- 1981. Comparative water relations and photosynthesis of mycorrhizal and nonmycorrhizal Bouteloua gracilis H.B.K. Lag ex Steud. New Phytologist 88: 683–693. , , , .
- 2003. Ecology of mycorrhizae: a conceptual framework for complex interactions among plants and fungi. Annual Review of Phytopathology 41: 271–303. , , , , .
- 1983. The use of natural tracers as indicators of soil-water movement in temperate semi-arid regions. Journal of Hydrology 60: 157–173. , .
- 2001. Water relations, drought and vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis. Mycorrhiza 11: 3–42. .
- 2003. Analysis of the mycorrhizal potential in the rhizosphere of representative plant species from desertification-threatened Mediterranean shrublands. Applied Soil Ecology 22: 29–37. , , , , , .
- 2002. Seasonal variation in δ13C and δ18O of cellulose from growth rings of Pinus radiata. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1483–1499. , , .
- 1983. The distribution of deuterium and 18O in dry soil 1. Theory. Journal of Hydrology 60: 141–156. , .
- 2003. Establishment of shrub species in a degraded semiarid site after inoculation with native or allochthonous arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Applied Soil Ecology 22: 103–111. , , , , , .
- 2002. Stable isotopes in plant ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 507–559. , , , , .
- 1991. Physiological responses of six wheatgrass cultivars to mycorrhizae. Journal of Range Management 44: 336–341. , .
- 1994. Water relations and gas exchange of mycorrhizal Leucaena leucocephala seedlings. Journal of Tropical Forest Science 6: 542–552. , , .
- 2001. Physiological mechanisms influencing plant nitrogen isotope composition. Trends in Plant Science 6: 121–126. .
- FAO. 1998. World reference base for soil resources. Wageningen, the Netherlands/Rome, Italy: ISSS-ISRIC-FAO.
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 503–537. , , .
- 1998. Interpretation of oxygen isotope composition of leaf material. In: GriffithsH, ed. Stable isotopes – integration of biology, ecological, and geochemical processes. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers, 27–62. , , .
- 2005. Carbon and oxygen isotope ratios in wood constituents of Pinus halepensis as indicators of precipitation, temperature and water pressure deficit. Tellus 57B: 164–173. , .
- 1980. An evaluation of techniques for measuring vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal infection in roots. New Phytologist 84: 489–499. , .
- 1999. Plant δ15N associated with arbuscular mycorrhization, drought and nitrogen deficiency. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 13: 1320–1324. , , , .
- 2001. Development of δ15N stratification of NO3 in soil profiles. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 15: 1274–1278. , , , , .
- 2002. Selectivity and functional diversity in arbuscular mycorrhizas of co-occurring fungi and plants from a temperate deciduous woodland. Journal of Ecology 90: 371–384. , , , , , .
- 1997. Functioning of mycorrhizal associations along the mutualism–parasitism continuum. New Phytologist 135: 575–586. , , .
- 2003. Carbon and oxygen isotope composition of organic compounds in the phloem sap provides a short term measure for stomatal conductance of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1157–1168. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Host-specificity and functional diversity among arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. In: BellCR, BrylinskiM, Johnson-GreenP, eds. Microbial biosystems: new frontiers. Proceedings of the Eighth International Symposium on Microbial Ecology. Halifax, NS, Canada: Atlantic Canada Society for Microbial Ecology, 845–851. .
- 2003. Variation in plant response to native and exotic arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Ecology 84: 2292–2301. .
- 1993. Physiology of the mycorrhizal plant. Advances in Plant Pathology 9: 33–54. .
- 2000. Functional complementarity in the arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis. New Phytologist 147: 233–235. .
- 2003. Contribution of six arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal isolates to water uptake by Lactuca sativa plants under drought stress. Physiologia Plantarum 119: 526–533. , , .
- 1995. Influence of VA mycorrhizae on net photosynthesis and transpiration of Ziziphus mauritiana. Journal of Plant Physiology 147: 328–330. , .
- 1995. Multi-functionality and biodiversity in arbuscular mycorrhizas. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 407–411. , , .
- 1970. Improved procedures for clearing roots and staining parasitic and vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi for rapid assessment of infection. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 55: 158–161. , .
- 2004. Arbuscular mycorrhizal influence on leaf water potential, solute accumulation and oxidative stress in soybean plants subjected to drought stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1743–1750. , .
- 2003. Differential response of δ13C and water use efficiency to arbuscular mycorrhizal infection in two aridland woody plant species. Oecologia 135: 510–515. , , , , .
- 1995. Functional compatibility in arbuscular mycorrhizas measured as hyphal P transport to the plant. New Phytologist 129: 611–618. , .
- 1996. Assessment of natural mycorrhizal potential in a desertified semiarid ecosystem. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 62: 842–847. , , .
- 2001. Management of indigenous plant-microbe symbioses aids restoration of desertified ecosystems. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 67: 495–498. , , , , .
- 1995. Hyphal contribution to water uptake in mycorrhizal plants as affected by the fungal species and water status. Physiologia Plantarum 95: 472–478. , .
- 1995a. Effects of arbuscular-mycorrhizal Glomus species on drought tolerance: physiological and nutritional plant responses. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 61: 456–460. , , .
- 1995b. Influence of different Glomus species on the time-course of physiological plant responses of lettuce to progressive drought stress periods. Plant Science 110: 37–44. , , .
- 2001. Arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis can alleviate drought-induced nodule senescence in soybean plants. New Phytologist 151: 493–502. , , , .
- 2000. Linking stable oxygen and carbon isotopes with stomatal conductance and photosynthetic capacity: a conceptual model. Oecologia 125: 350–357. , , , .
- 1983. Estimates of N2 fixation from variation in the natural abundance of 15N in Sonoran desert ecosystems. Oecologia 56: 365–373. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Effect of vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi on the growth, photosynthesis, transpiration and the distribution of photosynthates of bearing Satsuma mandarin trees. Journal of the Japanese Society for Horticultural Science 64: 517–525. , , .
- 2000. Spatial differences in acquisition of soil phosphate between two arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in symbiosis with Medicago truncatula. New Phytologist 147: 357–366. , , .
- 1986. Oxygen isotope exchange between metabolites and water during biochemical reactions leading to cellulose synthesis. Plant Physiology 82: 423–427. , , .
- 1997. Clonal growth traits of two Prunella species are determined by co-occurring arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi from a calcareous grassland. Journal of Ecology 85: 181–191. , , , .
- 1994. Improved nitrogen uptake and transport from N15-labeled nitrate by external hyphae of arbuscular mycorrhiza under water stress conditions. New Phytologist 126: 119–122. , , .
- 2004. Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi as support systems for seedling establishment in grasslands. Ecology Letters 7: 293–303. .
- 1998a. Different arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal species are potential determinants of plant community structure. Ecology 79: 2082–2091. , , , .
- 1998b. Mycorrhizal fungal diversity determines plant diversity, ecosystem variability and productivity. Nature 396: 69–72. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. ‘Sampling effect’, a problem in biodiversity manipulation? A reply to David A. Wardle. Oikos 87: 408–410. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Effects of VA mycorrhizal colonization on photosynthesis and biomass production of Trifolium repens L. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 209–216. , , .