Effects of intraleaf variations in carbonic anhydrase activity and gas exchange on leaf C18OO isoflux in Zea mays
Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2005
Volume 169, Issue 2, pages 321–329, January 2006
How to Cite
Affek, H. P., Krisch, M. J. and Yakir, D. (2006), Effects of intraleaf variations in carbonic anhydrase activity and gas exchange on leaf C18OO isoflux in Zea mays. New Phytologist, 169: 321–329. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01603.x
- Issue online: 25 NOV 2005
- Version of Record online: 25 NOV 2005
- Received: 15 July 2005 Accepted: 25 September 2005
- 2000. Relative humidity- and ABA-induced variation in carbon and oxygen isotope ratios of leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 473–485. , .
- 2004. Expressing leaf water and cellulose oxygen isotope ratios as enrichment above source water reveals evidence of a Peclet effect. Oecologia 138: 426–435. , , , .
- 2003. Oxygen isotope content of CO2 in nocturnal ecosystem respiration: 2. Short-term dynamics of foliar and soil component fluxes in an old-growth ponderosa pine forest. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: 1124. , , , , , .
- 1983. Oxygen isotope fractionation between CO2 and H2O. Isotope Geoscience 1: 181–190. , , .
- 1988. Low bundle sheath carbonic anhydrase is apparently essential for effective C4 pathway operation. Plant Physiology 86: 1252–1256. , .
- 1997. A three-dimensional synthesis study of δ18O in atmospheric CO2. 1. Surface fluxes. Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres 102: 5857–5872. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1965. Deuterium and oxygen-18 variations in the ocean and the marine atmosphere. In: Tongiorgi E, ed. Proceedings of the Conference on Stable Isotopes in Oceanographic Studies and Paleotemperatures. Pisa, Italy: CNR, Laboratorie Geologia Nuclear 9–130. , .
- 1983. On the nature of carbon isotope discrimination in C4 species. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 10: 205–226. .
- 1998. Interpretation of oxygen isotope composition of leaf material. In: Griffiths H, ed. Stable isotopes. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers Ltd, 27–62. , , .
- 2003. On the progressive enrichment of the oxygen isotopic composition of water along a leaf. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 801–819. , .
- 1993. Carbon and oxygen isotope effects in the exchange of carbon dioxide between terrestrial plants and the atmosphere. In: Ehleringer JR, Hall AE, Farquhar GD, eds. Stable isotopes and plant carbon–water relations. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 47–70. , .
- 1993. Vegetation effects on the isotope composition of oxygen in atmospheric CO2. Nature 363: 439–442. , , , , , , , .
- 1982. On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the intercellular carbon dioxide concentration in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 121–137. , , .
- 1993. Environmental and biological influences on the stable oxygen and hydrogen isotopic composition of leaf water. In: Ehleringer JR, Hall AE, Farquhar GD, eds. Stable isotopes and plant carbon–water relations. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 71–90. .
- 1987. Latitudinal variation in oxygen-18 of atmospheric CO2. Nature 327: 495–497. , .
- 2002. 18O spatial patterns of vein xylem water, leaf water, and dry matter in cotton leaves. Plant Physiology 130: 1008–1021. , , , .
- 2003. Evaluation of models of leaf water 18O enrichment using measurements of spatial patterns of vein xylem water, leaf water and dry matter in maize leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1479–1495. , , , .
- 1991. The heavy isotope enrichment of water in coupled evaporative systems. In: Taylor HP, O’Neil JR, Kaplan IR, eds. Stable isotope geochemistry: a tribute to Samuel Epstein. Special Publication no. 3. St Louis, MO, USA: The Geochemical Society, 159–168. , .
- 2000a. Internal conductance to CO2 diffusion and C18OO discrimination in C3 leaves. Plant Physiology 123: 201–213. , .
- 2000b. Naturally low carbonic anhydrase activity in C4 and C3 plants limits discrimination against C18OO during photosynthesis. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 903–915. , .
- 2001. Influence of carbonic anhydrase activity in terrestrial vegetation on the 18O content of atmospheric CO2. Science 291: 2584–2587. , .
- 1990. Carbonic anhydrase activity in leaves and its role in the first step of C4 photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 93: 825–828. , .
- 2000. Establishing a grassland signature in veins: 18O in the leaf water of C3 and C4 grasses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 7894–7898. , .
- 2002a. Differential 18O enrichment of leaf cellulose in C3 versus C4 grasses. Functional Plant Biology 29: 435–442. , .
- 2002b. Grass blades as tree rings: environmentally induced changes in the oxygen isotope ratio of cellulose along the length of grass blades. New Phytologist 155: 417–424. , .
- 1994. 13C discrimination during CO2 assimilation by the terrestrial biosphere. Oecologia 99: 201–215. , .
- 1992. Spatial D/H heterogeneity of leaf water. Plant Physiology 99: 348–350. , .
- 1997. Spatial patterns of carbon isotope discrimination and allocation of photosynthetic activity in sugar cane leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 24: 769–775. , .
- 2000. A mechanistic model for interpretation of hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios in tree-ring cellulose. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 64: 21–35. , , .
- 1989. δ13C values in maize leaf correlate with phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase levels. Plant Physiology 90: 582–585. , , , .
- 1997. Correlating δ13C and δ18O in cellulose of trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1543–1550. , , .
- 1998. Oxygen isotope analysis of cellulose: An inter-laboratory comparison. Analytical Chemistry 70: 2074–2080. , , , .
- 1982. Carbonic-anhydrase–O-18 exchange catalyzed by an enzyme with rate-contributing proton-transfer steps. Methods in Enzymology 87: 732–752. .
- 1995. Temporal and spatial variations in the oxygen-18 content of leaf water in different plant species. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 1377–1385. , .
- 1992. Variations in the natural abundance of oxygen-18 and deuterium in plant carbohydrates. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 1005–1020. .
- 1998. Oxygen-18 of leaf water. A crossroad for plant-associated isotopic signals. In: Griffiths H, ed. Stable isotopes. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers Ltd, 147–168. .
- 1989. Isotopic inhomogeneity of leaf water: Evidence and implications for the use of isotopic signals transduced by plants. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 53: 2769–2773. , , .
- 1996. Fluxes of CO2 and water between terrestrial vegetation and the atmosphere estimated from isotope measurements. Nature 380: 515–517. , .