Lateral diffusion of CO2 from shaded to illuminated leaf parts affects photosynthesis inside homobaric leaves
Version of Record online: 29 NOV 2005
Volume 169, Issue 4, pages 779–788, February 2006
How to Cite
Pieruschka, R., Schurr, U., Jensen, M., Wolff, W. F. and Jahnke, S. (2006), Lateral diffusion of CO2 from shaded to illuminated leaf parts affects photosynthesis inside homobaric leaves. New Phytologist, 169: 779–788. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01605.x
- Issue online: 29 NOV 2005
- Version of Record online: 29 NOV 2005
- Received: 31 August 2005 Accepted: 29 September 2005
- 2004. Is photosynthesis limited by decreased Rubisco activity and RuBP content under progressive drought stress? New Phytologist 162: 671–681. , , .
- 2002. Photosynthetic carbon reduction and carbon oxidation cycles are the main electron sinks for photosystem II activity during a mild drought. Annals of Botany 89: 887–894. , .
- 1996. Leaf photosynthesis under drought stress. In: BakerNR, ed. Photosynthesis and Environment. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 347–366. , .
- 2000. Flexible coupling between light-dependent electron and vectorial proton transport in illuminated leaves of C3 plants. Role of photosystem I-dependent proton pumping. Planta 210: 468–477. , , , , .
- 1992. Photoprotection and other responses of plants to high light stress. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 43: 599–626. , .
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317–345. , .
- 2002. Effects of drought on photosynthesis in grapevines under field conditions: an evaluation of stomatal and mesophyll limitations. Functional Plant Biology 29: 461–471. , , , , .
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 2003. Down-regulation of linear and activation of cyclic electron transport during drought. Planta 218: 107–114. , .
- 1999. Effects of soil drought during the vegetative phase of seedling growth on the uptake of 14CO2 and the accumulation and translocation of 14C in cultivars of field bean (Vicia faba L. var. minor) and field pea (Pisum sativum L.) of different drought tolerance. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 183: 183–192. , , .
- 1996. Regulation of light harvesting in green plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology 47: 655–684. , , .
- 2001. Atmospheric CO2 concentration does not directly affect leaf respiration in bean or poplar. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 1139–1151. .
- 2002. Atmospheric CO2 concentration may directly affect leaf respiration measurement in tobacco, but not respiration itself. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 641–651. , .
- 2003. Higher electron transport rate observed at low intercellular CO2 concentration in long-term drought-acclimated leaves of Japanese birch Betula armanii. Physiologia Plantarum 118: 406–413. , , , , .
- 2002. Rapid regulation of light harvesting and plant fitness in the field. Science 297: 91–93. , , .
- 2003. Physiological Plant Ecology. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer Verlag. .
- 2002. Limitation to photosynthesis in water-stressed leaves: stomata vs. metabolism and the role of ATP. Annals of Botany 89: 871–885. .
- 2002. Responses of photosynthetic electron transport in stomatal guard cells and mesophyll cells in intact leaves to light, CO2, and humidity. Plant Physiology 128: 52–62. , , , .
- 1994. Photoinhibition of photosynthesis in nature. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology 45: 633–662. , , .
- 2000. Chlorophyll fluorescence – a practical guide. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 659–668. , .
- 2002a. Regulation of photosynthesis of C3 plants in response to progressive drought: stomatal conductance as a reference parameter. Annals of Botany 89: 895–905. , , , , .
- 2002b. Effects of drought on light-energy dissipation mechanisms in high- light-acclimated, field-grown grapevines. Functional Plant Biology 29: 1197–1207. , , , , , .
- 1995. A reinterpretation of stomatal responses to humidity. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 357–364. .
- 1991. Stomatal response to humidity in air and helox. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 509–515. , .
- 1918. Wegsamkeit der Laubblätter für Gase. Flora 111: 152–161. .
- 1991. Physiochemical and Environmental Plant Physiology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press Inc., Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. .
- 1993. Canopy structure and light interception. In: HallDO, ScurlockJMO, Bolhàr-NordenkampfHR, LeegoodRC, LongSP, eds. Photosynthesis and Production in a Changing Environment: a Field and Laboratory Manual. London, UK: Chapman & Hall, 79–90. , , .
- 2003. Simultaneous measurement of stomatal conductance, non-photochemical quenching, and photochemical yield of photosystem II in intact leaves by thermal and chlorophyll fluorescence imaging. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 1290–1300. , .
- 2001. When there is too much light. Plant Physiology 125: 29–32. .
- 2002. A photoprotective role for O2 as an alternative electron sink in photosynthesis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 193–198. , .
- 1997. Too many photons: photorespiration, photoinhibition and photooxidation. Trends in Plant Science 2: 119–121. , , , , .
- 2004. Imaging of chlorophyll a fluorescence: theoretical and practical aspects of an emerging technique for the monitoring of photosynthetic performance. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1195–1205. .
- 1999. Acclimation to long-term water deficit in the leaves of two sunflower hybrids: photosynthesis, electron transport rate and carbon metabolism. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 127–138. , , , .
- 1994. Tansley Review, 65. Diffusion of CO2 and other gases inside leaves. New Phytologist 126: 449–479. .
- 2002. Rubisco activity: effects of drought stress. Annals of Botany 89: 833–839. , , , , .
- 1996. Photosynthesis in fluctuating environments. In: BakerNR, ed. Photosynthesis and the Environment. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 321–346. , , .
- 1994. The consequence of sunflecks for photosynthesis and growth of forest understory plants. In: SchulzeED, CaldwellMM, eds. Ecophysiology of Photosynthesis. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer Verlag, 342–359. , .
- 2005. Lateral gas diffusion inside heterobaric or homobaric leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 857–864. , , .
- 2004. Photosynthetic gas exchange, chlorophyll fluorescence and some associated metabolic changes in cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) during water stress and recovery. Environmental and Experimental Botany 51: 45–56. , , , , .
- 2003. Relative humidity is a key factor in the acclimation of the stomatal response to CO2. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2141–2147. , , .
- 1992. Anatomy of non-uniform photosynthesis. Photosynthesis Research 31: 195–212. .
- 1988. Characterisation of non-uniform photosynthesis by abscisic acid in leaves having different mesophyll anatomies. Plant and Cell Physiology 29: 385–394. , , , .
- 2002. Effect of water deficit and its interaction with CO2 supply on the biochemistry and physiology and photosynthesis in sunflower. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1781–1791. , , , .
- 2003. IMAGING-PAM Chlorophyll Fluorometer. Instrument description and information for users. http://www.walz.com/support/downloads/downloads/pdfs/Ipam3e.pdf (3rd edition). .
- 1999. The role of photorespiration during drought stress: an analysis utilizing barley mutants with reduced activity of photorespiratory enzymes. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 361–373. , , , , , .
- 1952. The bundle sheath extension in leaves of dicotyledons. American Journal of Botany 39: 645–651. .