Impact of drought on productivity and water use efficiency in 29 genotypes of Populus deltoides×Populus nigra
Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2005
Volume 169, Issue 4, pages 765–777, February 2006
How to Cite
Monclus, R., Dreyer, E., Villar, M., Delmotte, F. M., Delay, D., Petit, J.-M., Barbaroux, C., Le Thiec, D., Bréchet, C. and Brignolas, F. (2006), Impact of drought on productivity and water use efficiency in 29 genotypes of Populus deltoides×Populus nigra. New Phytologist, 169: 765–777. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01630.x
- Issue online: 22 DEC 2005
- Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2005
- Received: 8 September 2005 Accepted: 31 October 2005
- 1990. Drought adaptations and responses in five genotypes of Fraxinus pennsylvanica Marsh: photosynthesis, water relations and leaf morphology. Tree Physiology 6: 305–315. , , .
- 2000. Eucalypts forming a canopy functional type in dry sclerophyll forests respond differentially to environment. Australian Journal of Botany 48: 759–775. , , , .
- 2002. Seasonal variation in δ13C and δ18O of cellulose from growth rings of Pinus radiata. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1483–1499. , , .
- 1996. Water relations. In: StettlerRF, BradshawHDJr, HeilmanPE, HinckleyTM, eds. Biology of Populus and its implications for management and conservation. Ottawa, Canada: NRC Research Press, National Research Council of Canada, 401–422. , , , .
- 1992. Influence of soil water on the physiological and morphological components of plant water balance in Populus trichocarpa, Populus deltoides and their F1 hybrids. Tree Physiology 11: 325–339. , , .
- 2000. Photosynthesis fractionation of carbon isotopes. In: LeegoodRC, SharkeyTD, Von CaemmererS, eds. Photosynthesis: physiology and metabolism. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 399–434. , .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 1978. Water movement in the soil-poplar-atmosphere system. I. Comparative study of stomatal morphology and anatomy, and the influence of stomatal density and dimensions on the leaf diffusion characteristics in different poplar clones. Oecologia Plantarum 13: 1–12. , , , , .
- 1988. Genetic variation in aspects of leaf growth of Populus clones, using the leaf plastochron index. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 18: 1069–1077. , , .
- 1997. Genotypic variation in drought tolerance of poplar in relation to abscisic acid. Tree Physiology 17: 797–803. , , , .
- 2002. Improving intrinsic water-use efficiency and crop yield. Crop Science 42: 122–131. , , , .
- 1957. Isotopic standards for carbon and oxygen and correction factors for mass-spectrometric analysis of carbon dioxide. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 12: 133–149. .
- 1997. Between-tree variations in leaf δ13C of Quercus pubescens and Quercus ilex among Mediterranean habitats with different water availability. Oecologia 111: 26–35. , , .
- 2001. Temperature response of leaf photosynthetic capacity in seedlings from seven temperate tree species. Tree Physiology 21: 223–232. , , , , .
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 503–537. , , .
- 1984. Isotopic composition of plant carbon correlates with water-use efficiency of wheat genotypes. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 11: 539–552. , .
- 1991. Seasonal and clonal variations in drought tolerance of Populus deltoides. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 21: 910–916. , .
- 1994. Organic solute accumulation and dehydration tolerance in tree water-stressed Populus deltoides clones. Tree Physiology 14: 575–587. , , .
- 1997. Nutrition, xylem cavitation and drought resistance in hybrid poplar. Tree Physiology 17: 647–654. , .
- 1997. Main effects of nitrogen supply and drought stress upon whole-plant carbon allocation in poplar. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 27: 1412–1419. , , .
- 1999. The effect of water status and soil fertility on the C-isotope signature in Pinus radiata. Tree Physiology 19: 551–562. , , , .
- 1992. Abscisic acid accumulation in leaves of two contrasting hybrid poplar clones affected by nitrogen fertilization plus cyclic flooding and soil drying. Tree Physiology 11: 109–122. , .
- 1996. Effects of water and nitrogen interaction on net photosynthesis, stomatal conductance, and water-use efficiency in two hybrid poplar clones. Physiologia Plantarum 97: 507–512. , .
- 2005. Modeling climate change effects on the potential production of French plains forests at the sub-regional level. Tree Physiology 25: 813–823. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Productivity, carbon isotope discrimination and leaf traits of trees of Eucalyptus globulus Labill. in relation to water availability. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1515–1524. , , .
- 2002. Physiological traits of two Populus×euramericana clones, Luisa Avanzo and Dorskamp, during a water stress and re-watering cycle. Tree Physiology 22: 849–858. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Impact of successive drought and re-watering cycles on growth and specific leaf area of two Populus×canadensis (Moench) clones, ‘Dorskamp’ and ‘Luisa_Avanzo’. Tree Physiology 23: 1225–1235. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Diversity of leaf traits related to productivity in 31 Populus deltoides×Populus nigra clones. Tree Physiology 25: 425–435. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Carbon isotope discrimination by a sequence of Eucalyptus species along a sub-continental rainfall gradient in Australia. Functional Ecology 15: 222–232. , , .
- 2005. Productivity, leaf traits and carbon isotope discrimination in 29 Populus deltoides×P. nigra clones. New Phytologist 167: 53–62. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. An analysis of light effects on foliar morphology, physiology, and light interception in temperate deciduous woody species of contrasting shade tolerance. Tree Physiology 18: 681–696. , , .
- 1981. Water relations in Populus clones. Ecology 62: 159–169. , .
- 2002. Environmental biology and crop improvement. Functional Plant Biology 29: 537–546. .
- 2002. Comparison of water-use efficiency of seedlings from two sympatric oak species: genotype × environment interactions. Tree Physiology 22: 413–422. , , , .
- 2004. Morphological and physiological traits influencing biomass productivity in short-rotation coppice poplar. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 34: 1488–1498. , , , .
- 2002. Selection for reduced carbon isotope discrimination increases aerial biomass and grain yield of rainfed bread wheat. Crop Science 42: 739–745. , , , .
- 2001. Tree and forest functioning in response to global warming. New Phytologist 149: 369–400. , , , , .
- 1989. Water relations, photosynthetic capacity, and root/shoot partitioning of photosynthetic as determinants of productivity in hybrid poplar. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 1689–1697. , .
- 1998. Drought resistance of two hybrid Populus clones grown in a large-scale plantation. Tree Physiology 18: 653–658. , , , .
- 1994. Water-stress tolerance of black cottonwood and eastern cottonwood clones and four of their hybrid progeny. I. Growth, water relations and gas exchange. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 24: 364–371. , , .
- 1990. Variation in foliar δ13C in Hawaiian Metrosideros polymorpha: a case of internal resistance? Oecologia 84: 362–370. , , .
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , et al.
- 2004. Population differences in physiological and morphological adaptations of Populus davidiana seedlings in response to progressive drought stress. Plant Sciences 166: 791–797. , , .
- 1996. Trends in poplar culture: some global and regional perspectives. In: StettlerRF, BradshawHDJr, HeilmanPE, HinckleyTM, eds. Biology of Populus and its implications for management and conservation. Part II, Ch. 19. Ottawa, Canada: NRC Research Press, National Research Council of Canada, 515–539. , , , .