Carbohydrate storage in five resprouting Florida scrub plants across a fire chronosequence
Article first published online: 9 JAN 2006
Volume 170, Issue 1, pages 99–106, March 2006
How to Cite
Olano, J. M., Menges, E. S. and Martínez, E. (2006), Carbohydrate storage in five resprouting Florida scrub plants across a fire chronosequence. New Phytologist, 170: 99–106. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01634.x
- Issue published online: 9 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 9 JAN 2006
- Received: 29 September 2005 Accepted: 4 November 2005
- 1984a. Post-fire recovery of Florida Lake Wales Ridge vegetation. American Journal of Botany 71: 9–21. .
- 1984b. Species responses to fire on the Florida Lake Wales Ridge. American Journal of Botany 71: 35–43. .
- 2002. Post-fire recovery of acorn production by four oak species in southern ridge sandhill association in south-central Florida. American Journal of Botany 89: 119–123. , .
- 1984. Vegetation of the Archbold Biological Station, Florida: An example of the southern Lake Wales Ridge. Florida Scientist 47: 209–250. , , , .
- 1999. Underground starch storage in Erica species in the Cape Floristic Region – differences between seeders and resprouters. New Phytologist 144: 143–152. , .
- 2000. Resprouting as a life history strategy in woody plant communities. Oikos 89: 409–416. , .
- 2005. Large parts of the world are brown or black: a different view on the ‘Green World’ hypothesis. Journal of Vegetation Science 16: 261–266. .
- 2001. Ecology of sprouting in woody plants: the persistence niche. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16: 45–51. , .
- 1993. The significance of root starch in post-fire shoot recovery of the resprouter Stirlingia latifolia R. Br. (Proteaceae). Annals of Botany 72: 7–16. , .
- 1998. Lignotuber reserves support regrowth following clippings of two Mediterranean shrubs. Functional Ecology 12: 31–38. , .
- 1999. Post-fire seedling establishment in Florida sand pine scrub. Journal of Vegetation Science 10: 403–412. .
- 2001. Seasonal course of non-structural carbohydrates in the lignotuberous Mediterranean-type shrub Erica australis. Oecologia (Berl.) 128: 343–350. , .
- 2003. Resprouting of the Mediterranean-type shrub Erica australis with modified lignotuber content. Journal of Ecology 91: 348–356. , , .
- 2004. Tree growth and competition in a Betula platyphylla-Larix cajanderi post-fire forest in central Kamchatka. Annals of Botany 94: 333–343. , , , , .
- 2003. Vegetation recovery and stand structure following a prescribed stand-replacement burn in sand pine scrub. Natural Areas Journal 23: 141–151. .
- 1979. Plant strategies, vegetation processes and ecosystem properties. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons. .
- 2003. Effects of lichens on seedling emergence in a xeric Florida shrubland. Southeastern Naturalist 2: 223–234. , .
- 1998. Sprouting success of shrubs after fire: height dependent relationships for different strategies. Oecologia 115: 64–72. .
- 2002. The effects of mowing and fertilization on carbohydrate reserves and regrowth of grasses: do they promote plant coexistence in species-rich meadows. Evolutionary Ecology 15: 363–382. , .
- 2005. Nutrient availability induces contrasting allocation and starch formation in resprouting and obligate seeding shrubs. Functional Ecology 19: 690–698. , .
- 2001. Reserve carbohydrate levels in the boles and structural roots of five multipurpose tree species in a seasonally dry tropical climate. Forest Ecology and Management 146: 145–158. , , .
- 1998. Management of Florida scrub for threatened and endangered species. USACERL Technical Report 99/19. , .
- 1998. The role of carbohydrate reserves in the growth, resilience and persistence of cabbage palm seedlings (Sabal palmetto). Oecologia (Berl.) 117: 460–468. , .
- 1999. Ecology and conservation of Florida scrub. In: AndersonRC, FralishJS, BaskinJ, eds. The Savanna, barren, and rock outcrop communities of North America. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 7–22. .
- 2004. Florida scrub and fire. For Web-Based Encyclopedia Compiling the Effects of Fire on Southeastern Ecosystems, US Forest Service, http://fire.forestencyclopedia.net/Encyclopedia/Fire%20Science/Encyclopedia_Page.2003-10-15.5050/Encyclopedia_Page. 2004-10-08.5539 .
- 1995. Life history strategies of Florida scrub plants in relation to fire. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club 122: 282–297. , .
- 1993. Twenty years of vegetation change in five long-unburned Florida plant communities. Journal of Vegetation Science 4: 375–386. , , , , .
- 1986. The role of nutrient reserves in regrowth of two savanna shrubs. Canadian Journal of Botany 64: 1244–1248. , .
- 1999. Allometric relationships in two lignotuberous species from Mediterranean-type climate areas of Spain and California. Journal of Mediterranean Ecology 1: 49–60. , , .
- 1948. Quantitative determination of carbohydrates with Dreywood's anthrone reagent. Science 107: 254–255. .
- 1990. Scrub and high pine. In: MyersRL, EwelJJ, eds. Ecosystems of Florida. Orlando, FL, USA: University of Central Florida Press, 150–193. .
- 1994. Patterns of reproductive effort with time since last fire in Florida scrub plants. Journal of Vegetation Science 5: 303–310. , .
- 2003. Movilazión del almidón en respuesta a la tala sucesiva en plántulas de Quercus coccifera, Q. humilis, Q. ilex y Q. suber. Comunicaciones del VII Congreso Nacional de Ecología Terrestre, Barcelona, Spain. , .
- 2004. Determination of sugar composition in grapevine rootstock cuttings used for propagation. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture 55: 181–186. , , , .
- 1991. Starch determination by perchloric acid vs. enzymes: evaluating the accuracy and precision of six colorimetric methods. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 39: 2–11. , , , , , .
- 2003. Growth and recovery of oak-saw palmetto scrub through ten years after fire. Natural Areas Journal 23: 5–13. .
- 1995. Nonstructural carbohydrate allocation following different frequencies of stimulated browsing in three semi-arid shurbs. Oecologia 102: 238–245. , .
- 1996. Regrowth of a semiarid shrub following simulated browsing: the role of reserve carbon. Functional Ecology 10: 647–653. , .
- 2002. Root starch storage and allocation patterns in seeder and resprouter seedlings of two Cape Erica species. American Journal of Botany 89: 1189–1196. , .
- 1995. Effects of competition and disturbance on the resprouting performance of the Mediterranean shrub Erica multiflora L. (Ericaceae). American Journal of Botany 82: 1241–1248. , .
- 2003. Species and vegetation responses to prescribed fire in a long-unburned, endemic-rich Lake Wales Ridge scrub. Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 130: 265–282. , .
- 1999. Carbohydrate storage and use in an alpine population of the perennial herb, Oxytropis sericea. Oecologia 120: 198–208. .